Is There Any Way To Lower Iron Without Donating Blood?

himsahimsa

http://clinicalcenter.nih.gov/blooddono ... tosis.html

Hemochromatosis Donor Program

Hemochromatosis is a relatively common inherited condition in which the body absorbs excess iron. Over many years, iron overload can develop, with deposition of excess iron in body tissues and organs. Disabling arthritis, glandular failure, and severe liver disease can occur if the disorder is not treated. The treatment is phlebotomy therapy, or removal of 1 unit (1 pint) of blood every 1 - 16 weeks, depending on the level of iron overload. One pint of blood contains 250 mg of iron. Serial frequent phlebotomy sessions are a highly effective way to lower body iron levels. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Blood Bank has a protocol for treatment of hemochromatosis by phlebotomy therapy, which uses a simple and easy method to determine the pace of therapy.

The blood units removed therapeutically may be made available for transfusion into others if the donor (the hemochromatosis subject) meets standard blood donor eligibility criteria. Phlebotomy therapy and medical care for hemochromatosis are offered free of charge to all study participants. All persons with hemochromatosis are eligible for participation in this study, regardless of whether they meet blood donor criteria. To learn more about the Hemochromatosis Donor Program or to make an appointment to enroll, call the Hemochromatosis Program Coordinator at (301) 435-3049.

Hemochromatosis patients participating in the NIH Blood Bank Hemochromatosis Donor Program may donate:

Whole blood
Double red cells

To learn more about hemochromatosis, please visit the NIH Informational site on hemochromatosis.

jyb

On Peatarian email's exchange thread, there is quote on milk, OJ and coffee safely removing iron over time. I've read that a male loses 1mg of iron per day, so if the removal with coffee compensates iron intake from a low iron diet, there'd be 365mg removed in a year. Not bad.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
himsahimsa said:
http://clinicalcenter.nih.gov/blooddono ... tosis.html

Hemochromatosis Donor Program

Hemochromatosis is a relatively common inherited condition in which the body absorbs excess iron. Over many years, iron overload can develop, with deposition of excess iron in body tissues and organs. Disabling arthritis, glandular failure, and severe liver disease can occur if the disorder is not treated. The treatment is phlebotomy therapy, or removal of 1 unit (1 pint) of blood every 1 - 16 weeks, depending on the level of iron overload. One pint of blood contains 250 mg of iron. Serial frequent phlebotomy sessions are a highly effective way to lower body iron levels. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Blood Bank has a protocol for treatment of hemochromatosis by phlebotomy therapy, which uses a simple and easy method to determine the pace of therapy.
Thanks for the info himsahimsa. I've felt better in the last 6 months than ever in my life.
The blood units removed therapeutically may be made available for transfusion into others if the donor (the hemochromatosis subject) meets standard blood donor eligibility criteria. Phlebotomy therapy and medical care for hemochromatosis are offered free of charge to all study participants. All persons with hemochromatosis are eligible for participation in this study, regardless of whether they meet blood donor criteria. To learn more about the Hemochromatosis Donor Program or to make an appointment to enroll, call the Hemochromatosis Program Coordinator at (301) 435-3049.

Hemochromatosis patients participating in the NIH Blood Bank Hemochromatosis Donor Program may donate:

Whole blood
Double red cells

To learn more about hemochromatosis, please visit the NIH Informational site on hemochromatosis.
Thanks himsahimsa. I've never been better in my life than the last 6 months so although I plan to continue to donate blood I have no desire to seek out additional diagnoses. I'm certain the pigment issues had to do with a combination of PUFA,estrogen, respiratory impairment on the cellular level with prior cigarette smoking as a contributing factor and odds and end thing like stress and putting myself under the care of ' medical doctors'. I'm happy to report that my pigment issues have not worsened in the least and in fact I feel there has been a subtle fading. I will inquire when I give blood if they are able to detect this hemochromtosis but I'm honestly not too worried because I feel I am doing all the right things for myself anyway. Thanks for your reply.

himsahimsa

I put that up mainly for the information on the amount of iron per pint. I never heard of Hemochromatosis before.

hemochromatosis
[hē′mōkrō′mətō′sis, hem′-]

Etymology: Gk, haima, blood, chroma, color, osis, condition

A rare disease of iron metabolism, characterized by excess iron deposits throughout the body. Hepatomegaly, skin pigmentation, diabetes mellitus, and cardiac failure may occur. The disease most often develops as a complication of a hemolytic anemia such as sickle cell anemia. Multiple phlebotomies are required to deplete excess iron, with maintenance phlebotomy being performed once iron has been sufficiently depleted. Also spelled ....

Blossom

Forum Supporter
himsahimsa said:
I put that up mainly for the information on the amount of iron per pint. I never heard of Hemochromatosis before.

hemochromatosis
[hē′mōkrō′mətō′sis, hem′-]

Etymology: Gk, haima, blood, chroma, color, osis, condition

A rare disease of iron metabolism, characterized by excess iron deposits throughout the body. Hepatomegaly, skin pigmentation, diabetes mellitus, and cardiac failure may occur. The disease most often develops as a complication of a hemolytic anemia such as sickle cell anemia. Multiple phlebotomies are required to deplete excess iron, with maintenance phlebotomy being performed once iron has been sufficiently depleted. Also spelled ....
I had. Sorry I let my past trauma about medicine come out.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I gave blood today and all went well until I got in the chair. My veins are small again. I had that problem as a child/young adult and they always had to use my hand. It worked out with a little manipulation so I was able to give. As I was donating I thought back to the post on bulging veins and it occupied to me that this issue may actually be a good sign that my veins in general,not just the ones on my hands have achieved a more optimal tone!

Ben

Anemia often causes peripheral vasoconstriction and increases blood flow to the major organs (like cold temperatures do) to help get oxygen there. That's a more likely explanation, and it's not a positive effect. See if copper would reverse this, since it helps with anemia.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My hemoglobin before donating was 12.9. I don't think I could have donated if I were anemic but I'm sure that is a valid explanation in some instances. I would also think dehydration a possibility in some cases as well.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I suppose there are other anemias to consider besides iron deficiency anemia.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I did a quick review of the anemias and I am certain this is not my issue although what you point out could be a valid concern for some. I'm also certain I am not low on oxygen but I'm sure I was at one point in my life. 75% of what I learned in school was probably wrong, as I've come to realize from studying Peat but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my oxygen is stellar since optimizing CO2. I just so happen to check it with a pulse oximeter which gives the oxygen saturation of the red blood cells and mine is always 99-100%. You bring up great points Ben, but since the lab has seen me 3 times for blood donation I am sure any anemia or even borderline anemia would have been brought to my attention. They don't need my blood that bad since I'm A positive. I wasn't even offered iron. The telling thing for me is that I feel so good which wouldn't be if I were anemic. Those are excellent points for consideration when looking at ones context though, no doubt.

Ismena.D

In the book of Lita LEE (The Enzyme Cure) To lower the Iron level, you can donating blood or undergoing Oral Chelation Therapy ( to " bind up " the iron for elimination from the body) may helpbring them down. The safest method of Oral Chelation is Sodium Succinate capsules; a typical dose is 200-250 mg, twice daily for two weeks twicw yearly, depending on blood test results.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ismena.D, :welcome

Donating pretty much cured my angina for about three months. It's worth it. Eating all the steak you want is worth it. And iron uptake enhancement only happens at very low ferritin levels.

tomisonbottom

Such_Saturation said:
Donating pretty much cured my angina for about three months. It's worth it. Eating all the steak you want is worth it. And iron uptake enhancement only happens at very low ferritin levels.

How did you know how often to donate blood?

tomisonbottom said:
Such_Saturation said:

How did you know how often to donate blood?

I think about half of the studies show benefit on cardiovascular risk but none show benefit over once a year. If you want Ray Peat suggested level against cancer might require more donations but I can't find his quote.

jyb

Such_Saturation said:

After donation several times, did you see an effect on iron blood tests (which ones do you look at)? I'm wondering if one could go too low on iron if one is donating + eating low iron food.

jyb

Such_Saturation said:

I was looking at how much iron is contained in food, and I was very surprised when I looked at steak. It seems "only" 3-4mg per serving. However, liver is very high, at 7mg per 28g serving (1 ounce). 1 ounce of liver seems small, does that correspond to 1 of the 3 slices shown on picture of liver slices?

Non animal sources seem richer sources of iron. Chocolate, enriched flours... though the iron form and absorption rate is different, need to take that into account.

On a day where on eats a lot of dairy, maybe 1 or 2 egg yolks (1mg iron), it seems possible that the net iron intake is negative (if about 1mg is lost each day). On top of that, if you add steak, you'd still be well under the RDA of 8mg! I'm not saying "RDA" is something to follow, though.

I think iron in liver is mostly "elemental" which is less dangerous and more easily blockable.

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
I think iron in liver is mostly "elemental" which is less dangerous and more easily blockable.

What do you mean by blockable? That the body can regulate absorption more easily, eg absorb more if needed only (low ferritin)?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals