Is there any truth starches and meat together are bad?

BaconBits

Is there any truth or scientific facts that food is better absorbed if meat is eaten separate from the starches?

jyb

Can't find the quote, but RP wrote about tryptophan gets to the brain more on a carb rich meal. So on a meal with starch and muscle meat, I'd expect more serotonin related issues.

OP
B

BaconBits

Well, I saw this dr Mercola interview with this Dr. Pickering. I do not know much about digestion so cant really tell if the stuff he is saying is right. It would be really nice to know what Ray Peat thinks about this, but I see his contact form is no longer available, maybe he was bombarded with emails.

But I think there is a hole in his theory, as I know fats need to be emulsified in second stage first and he said nothing about fats. Or maybe not.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... ining.aspx

Ari

This topic of food combining is one that interests me greatly.

Based on my own experiences, I would cautiously say that yes, it is bad to eat meats and starches together. Or maybe bad is too harsh - less than optimal.

I'll run you through why I feel this way, and it has nothing to do with digestive capability, acid/alkaline or anything like that, even though those may or may not be true.

Whenever I eat a huge meal that is mixed starch and meat, I get very tired afterwards. I did some reading and research and found that when certain amino acids are eaten in the presence of large amounts of glucose, there is an increased insulin response. This led me to believe that the tiredness is due to hypoglycemia? No idea if it is the same with sucrose or fructose. So I tried eating the same calorie meals without mixing and I don't get tired anymore.

To test my theory further I cooked potatoes and shrimp and fed them to people mixed, but myself just ate the potatoes. Everyone I fed got really tired and just wanted to relax, and I was full of energy.

:2cents

jyb

Ari said:
To test my theory further I cooked potatoes and shrimp and fed them to people mixed, but myself just ate the potatoes. Everyone I fed got really tired and just wanted to relax, and I was full of energy.

I think that's the situation where the large amount of glucose results in more effects of the tryptophan, in which shrimp are rich, so without gelatin you'd expect more of the negative serotonin effect.

Ari

Hmm very interesting. Sounds more right than what I was talking about.

Looks like pretty much every meat I eat has enough tryptophan to make me steer clear of a glucose + protein meal though. (gelatin always the exception of course)

OP
B

BaconBits

Oh, I didnt realize people replied after my last thread.

I dont think its the tryptophan, tryphtophan does not make your stomach heavy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals