Is There Any Simple Way To Know If You Store A Lot Of Glycogen Or Not ?

Makrosky

Hey guys,

Sometimes when I experiment with substances that increase metabolism (coffee, pregnenolone, estroban, NDT, seaweed, etc...) I found myself short of glycogen although I always previously consume ample of carbs. Sometimes it's enough, sometimes it isn't.

Is there any way to ... how's to put it... like... test one's glycogen storages ? To know if one is having ample glycogen storages at a certain moment. Like checking the gas tank before going on a road trip.

Thanks!

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

if you miss a meal, do you feel faint or grumpy?
Yes, I know I don't store a lot. I get grumpy and anxious as you said.

I'm asking more specifically for when increasing dosages of the aforementioned substances or trying new ones. Stress reactions are a pain in the neck.

tara

I don't know if there is a definitive (non-invasive) way to assess current glycogen stores.
I suspect when our appetite is working well, it can give useful signals - like 'glycogen storage full now, please stop eating carbs'.
But that doesn't tell you how big the storage capacity is, or how long it will last you.

Maybe observing your own pattern would be the best guide you can get? Eg if you know how long it usually takes after a decent meal to get hunger stress, you can work to accommodate that. It's taken me many years to get to where I am now - seldom run myself badly short these days.

Velve921

A concept Dr. Peat and Haidut have discussed is poor quality sleep can be indicative of poor glycogen storage. For example, if you wake up multiple times a night or cannot stay asleep, that could be a strong indicator as you do not have glycogen reserves to survive fasting for long periods of time.

mirc12354

A concept Dr. Peat and Haidut have discussed is poor quality sleep can be indicative of poor glycogen storage. For example, if you wake up multiple times a night or cannot stay asleep, that could be a strong indicator as you do not have glycogen reserves to survive fasting for long periods of time.
And what do they suggest?

yerrag

I recall reading a Peat article that says sleep is the time when our body gets to increase its glycogen stores. When I read that, it hit me. I've always wondered why if I have consecutive nights of very little sleep, I would easily get sick with colds or cough. It made sense in that when I get sick, it was because I lacked the immunity. When my blood sugar runs low, my immunity is compromised. When my glycogen stores are low, it easily leads to lower immunity as my blood sugar could easily run low. In many case, it would be lack of sleep that would cause lower glycogen stores, although I can see that lower glycogen stores can lead to poor quality sleep if the body is not able to replenish a lowering blood sugar condition from internally, from its glycogen stores.

"A number of findings provide indirect support for the hypothesis that glycogen stores are depleted during waking and restored during sleep." from a reference in The problem of Alzheimer's disease as a clue to immortality Part 2

paymanz

Readiness to do exercise , craving it.
those tell me I have good good glycogen or not,at least for muscle glycogen that's good indicator I guess.

tara

+1

yerrag

If you can go through a long fast without feeling hungry or jittery or sleepy or getting sick, you have good glycogen stores.

If you can drive the I-90 from Rochester NY to Cincinnati without any snacks and be cool and alert all throughout the 7 hour drive, you would have plenty of glycogen stores.

Last edited:

Velve921

And what do they suggest?

Foods that I have found helpful before bed time:

Ice cream, salt, milk, parmigiana reggiano cheese, fruit, gelatin, dark chocolate.

I eat ice cream with dark choc, cheese, and salt mixed in. Sugar, saturated fat, low tryptophan, low starch, low pufa are my primary focuses.

Supplements I've found helpful before bed time:

Epsom salt baths, cyproheptadine, unisom, theanine, NDT, pregnenolone, progesterone, aspirin.

Consistently I will do NDT, unisom, theanine, and aspirin with my ice cream mix.

****most people notice wonderful results from Epsom salt baths before bed; however, I'm unique in that I feel it best in the morning.

I'm not sure I understand how night time is specific to a good way of restoring glycogen because your fighting off a fast and darkness. I think of it more in a sense of fending against depletion.

CrystalClear

Sleep time is definitely an easy way to check storage time. My liver is healing slowly. I started out waking up every 2 hours a night now it is more like every 3 hours and sometimes I can sleep up to 4 hours without waking. I heard Dr Peat say on a KMUD audio we should have 8 hours storage to get through the night. I drink the salted oj when I wake then fall back to sleep. Getting hungry or sleepy or headachey can be my signs of low blood sugar.