Is There Any Reason Not To Take Methylene Blue Permanently?

Discussion in 'Methylene Blue' started by Hugh Johnson, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Hugh Johnson

Hugh Johnson Member

King
    Is there any reason not to take Methylene Blue permanently?

Lifetime effects seem purely positive, cost is next to nothing and the dosage is so small impurities seem like they would not matter.

Also, anyone have any idea about shelf life. Does it go bad eventually and once it does, is it harmful?

2. milk_lover

milk_lover Member

Maybe think of it as an occasional supplement? Similar to cascara and co.

3. OP
    Hugh Johnson

Hugh Johnson Member

King
    Why?

4. answersfound

answersfound Member

Can it be used orally?

5. michael94

michael94 Member

Caffeine/coffee is a staple around the globe, I don't see why methylene blue can't join in a similar way

6. Sheik

Sheik Member

I have been wondering this myself. Maybe it's a question for the doctor. :ninja

7. CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete Member

Telecommunications / Health & Fitness
    I had this same question. The only concern might be the long-term effects on serotonin (acts like an SSRI), but I'm not sure if those effects are fully mitigated when using caffeine (Oxidal).

8. michael94

michael94 Member

I though it only had those effects in very high doses and not a concern with 1-2mg or so daily (which is what peat recommends for optimal concentration in cells iirc )?

9. CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete Member

Telecommunications / Health & Fitness
    Very possible. I just know Haidut puts 400mcg methylene blue:400mcg of caffeine in Oxidal in order to promote dopamine (and oppose serotonin). But again I haven't seen studies regarding the amount needed for SSRI effect.

10. Makrosky

Makrosky Member

I think it's more like for the synergistic effects on mithocondrial unxoupling than for opposing serotonin. You'll have to take a lot of Oxidal to reach MB's IMAO effects (not SSRI).

11. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
    The SSRI effect of methylene blue presents itself at doses of 1 mg, and likely a bit under this. 500 mcg should not possess a measurable SSRI effect, or rather MAO-A inhibition.

12. Makrosky

Makrosky Member

I always thought MB had MAO inhibiting properties, not SSRI properties. And also, at much higher doses as you can read in the 3-4 big threads about MB in this forum.

Dave what is the source of that claim ?

13. tara

tara Member

Yes. Diluted with water to avoid staining tongue etc.

14. milk_lover

milk_lover Member

My gut feelings to be honest. Some people are obsessed with studies and they are helpful, but I wouldn't depend on MB as a main staple in my diet. Milk/OJ/seafood/coffee(which is more than caffeine)/lamb/liver/rejuvenating amino acids/vitamins are foods and nutrients that I would depend on. MB can be helpful in situations even for seemingly long periods (weeks,months, years), but for the rest of your life, I don't see myself do it. But this is just me. I have been taking Aspirin for few months now, it might be similar to MB, I don't know if I am going to take it for the rest of my life or not. Heck, I haven't even touched MB in my life, so I shouldn't have written a comment in this post in the first place. Maybe if I've tried it, I will find it amazing and I change my mind. If one thing I learned from this forum, it is being open minded about everything. It's just we don't know exactly how MB interacts with other substances in the body. Ray Peat has gone against mainstream medicine long time ago, and his ideas are being proven to be right study after study mostly in recent years (thanks haidut). Maybe the same thing applies to MB. To answer your question, I was talking from my guts (non-respectful language: from my ass) and it felt right when I wrote it and it still feels right. Is there a study about MB long-term effect?

15. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
    Personal experience and an anecdote. By SSRI, I mean MAO-A inhibition; it's not the same thing and I should have clarified terms.

16. tara

tara Member

17. OP
    Hugh Johnson

Hugh Johnson Member

King
    I saw one lifetime study on.mice.

Some positives on performance, 6% increase in female lifespan, no change in male lifespan.

18. milk_lover

milk_lover Member

So not the most impressive results... I don't know about MB, I might try it someday.

19. papaya

papaya Member

1/10 of a mg seems so tiny. would that roughly be putting 1 drop in some water & taking 1 sip? i've used mb directly on my throat when getting sick & it stops it in it's tracks, but i've never used it on a regular basis. i think i want to start using it 3x a week just cuz. the dose seems so small that i can't imagine it can be that bad to use regularly.

20. Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

OP what positive effects do you get from MB?