Is there any point taking miniscule amount of T3 daily?

Dobbler

My T3 tolerance is pretty horrible. 8-10 mcg taking twice daily gives me clear increase in feelings of stress and anxiety, and increases my neurosis. So im thinking maybe i try 5-10 mcg once daily. Is there any benefits to that compared to not taking it all? Does that low amount increase cortisol and estrogen clearance, and increase in youth hormones?

Nemo

My T3 tolerance is pretty horrible. 8-10 mcg taking twice daily gives me clear increase in feelings of stress and anxiety, and increases my neurosis. So im thinking maybe i try 5-10 mcg once daily. Is there any benefits to that compared to not taking it all? Does that low amount increase cortisol and estrogen clearance, and increase in youth hormones?

I started at 0.1 mcg T3 (with 0.2 mcg T4) every couple of hours, 8-9x a day, and it made all the difference in the world. It seemed to help at first by allowing me to better absorb things like magnesium, probably copper, etc. I was having constant long-lasting muscle cramps and they were gone within about a week of starting that dinky dose.

After a couple of weeks I was able to increase the dosage without the kinds of problems you talk about.

After about 10 weeks, I briefly got up to 7.5 mcg T3/day (15 mcg T4), divided up in small hourly doses on my successful run with thyroid, but it cleared up muscle stiffness, stuffy nose, and aching joints and nerve pain, helped with weight loss, better sleep, better breathing. I had to cut back after about a week at my peak level because I started getting hyperthyroid symptoms on that dose. Since then, I've had to continue to cut back. I may only need thyroid in the winter, or I may only have needed a kickstart. Maybe you're the same, Dobbler.

So I'm a huge believer in very small doses.

This was with Tyromix. I never got anywhere with Thiroyd pills from Thailand even though the same batch of pills worked for a loved one.

My experience has been somewhat similar to @Nemo's.

I am definitely hypothyroid and have tried several times to get back on a thyroid supplement. Every time, I've gotten too aggressive with dosing and ended up with bad stress reactions that forced me to quit. But during times when my doses of T3 have been extremely low (around 0.1-0.2 mcg or even lower, 1-3X per day) I have experienced significant relief from my terrible GI problems (gastritis and intestinal permeability) without any stress reactions. So yes, tiny doses can work for some people.

Edit to add: If you are extremely sensitive to thyroid, it's important to increase your dose very slowly.

Grischbal

My experience has been somewhat similar to @Nemo's.

I am definitely hypothyroid and have tried several times to get back on a thyroid supplement. Every time, I've gotten too aggressive with dosing and ended up with bad stress reactions that forced me to quit. But during times when my doses of T3 have been extremely low (around 0.1-0.2 mcg or even lower, 1-3X per day) I have experienced significant relief from my terrible GI problems (gastritis and intestinal permeability) without any stress reactions. So yes, tiny doses can work for some people.

Edit to add: If you are extremely sensitive to thyroid, it's important to increase your dose very slowly.
How do you even dose it?

How do you even dose it?

Only roughly. Crush 1/8 of a cynomel tablet, make a small line of powder, and keep dividing the line in half until you reach the desired dose. I used a magnifying glass and razor blade, and eventually got good at eyeballing the right amount. But I made mistakes occasionally, especially when increasing the dose. For microdosing thyroid, it's probably much easier to use Georgi's liquid supplements.

tara

I don't have lots of experience to speak from, but my understanding is a healthy body produces about 3-4 mcg T3/hr, and that teh half life is a few hours. So even 1 mcg doses could make a significant difference in some conditions, maybe several times a day.

gaze

have you checked your TSH, T4, T3, and vitamin D levels? But yea, Ray reccomends starting really low. He told me over email 1mcg with food, I hadn't heard .1mcg before but that may be even safer

equipoise

It's the age old adage of experimentation
Start low, cause you can always take more but you can't take less.
It's much safer approach that requires a bit of patience, which is a virtue in itself so if done proper way reaps all the benefits

OP
D

Dobbler

In other posts I saw you mentioning taking 25 mcg at once. What's going on now?
Yes i did that for long time, but i think it was not wise for me. For someone who can and likes higher doses it might work.

OP
D

Dobbler

Im glad people are saying even very small doses give noticeable benefits. It irritates me that you hear Peat and Roddy often talk how hypothyroid people need 2-3 grains of thyroid a day and i can't even tolerate one tablet, while still having every low metabolism symptom known to man.

P

Peatness

Im glad people are saying even very small doses give noticeable benefits. It irritates me that you hear Peat and Roddy often talk how hypothyroid people need 2-3 grains of thyroid a day and i can't even tolerate one tablet, while still having every low metabolism symptom known to man.
Dr Peat has frequently suggested taking magnesium at the same time as supplementing thyroid. There are numerous factors that impede the effective use of thyroid for very hypo people, magnesium deficiency is one. Others are low thiamine, and perhaps endotoxin.

Broda Barnes suggested that, “for a particularly large man or woman, two grains may be used – but no more than that at the beginning. The starting dosage should be maintained for about two months. After that, if necessary, the dosage may be increased.” How many of us are rushing the process? I certainly have and I am paying a heavy price for it with high adrenaline.

Frankdee20

I can’t use the Tyromix due to anxiety at even 1-2 drops, should I ditch it in the trash ?

I can’t use the Tyromix due to anxiety at even 1-2 drops, should I ditch it in the trash ?

If you want to experiment with lower doses, you can try diluting it with vodka. If I recall correctly, people discuss diluting liquid thyroid supplements in the Tyronene and Tyromix threads, so it might be worth checking out those threads for more details.

I've been struggling to tolerate thyroid supplements for a while, so I'd be very interested in hearing why people think they've had difficulty tolerating thyroid. It's possible I have a magnesium deficiency (though I'm hitting the RDA now), but I'm not sure. I also have a history of B vitamin deficiencies, but I've been supplementing B vitamins for a while now and eating plenty of liver.

@Pina: You mentioned endotoxin might cause trouble for people trying to supplement thyroid. Do you know how endotoxin could cause thyroid intolerance?

@Nemo: Do you know why you reacted badly to thyroid until you tried very low doses?

Frankdee20

If you want to experiment with lower doses, you can try diluting it with vodka. If I recall correctly, people discuss diluting liquid thyroid supplements in the Tyronene and Tyromix threads, so it might be worth checking out those threads for more details.
Is it absorbable to drop one on bread and eat this ? Since that may slowly get used as opposed to topical

gaze

I've been struggling to tolerate thyroid supplements for a while, so I'd be very interested in hearing why people think they've had difficulty tolerating thyroid. It's possible I have a magnesium deficiency (though I'm hitting the RDA now), but I'm not sure. I also have a history of B vitamin deficiencies, but I've been supplementing B vitamins for a while now and eating plenty of liver.

@Pina: You mentioned endotoxin might cause trouble for people trying to supplement thyroid. Do you know how endotoxin could cause thyroid intolerance?

@Nemo: Do you know why you reacted badly to thyroid until you tried very low doses?
have you checked your cholestrol levels? low cholestrol will cause bad reactions to thyroid i think

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals