Is There Any Exercise That Can Sustainably Improve Physical Function Without Tanking Metabolism?

gaze

No, it's not as simple as that. If your digestion is messed up, if your energy production is messed up, you can eat food all day long and still be in a functional energy deficit if the cells are not getting the CO2 they need. That's the problem with hypothyroidism/diabetes/etc.

no exercise puts the organism in a downward spiral, as he focuses more on his own digestion, becomes too self aware, is miserable all the time, and slowly deteriorates. Going out and being active puts the organism in an upward spiral, as he becomes happier, lymphatic system starts moving, heart rate increases temporarily, stops focusing on digestion, can all of a sudden digest foods it couldn’t before because it’s not stressed. Natural drive for more dietary energy. comes back so eating becomes more natural. and food ceases to be the main aspect of life which is not a natural thing for it to be for humans. Sitting at home and evaluating oneself after every meal will never bring good health.

Cirion

no exercise puts the organism in a downward spiral, as he focuses more on his own digestion, becomes too self aware, is miserable all the time, and slowly deteriorates. Going out and being active puts the organism in an upward spiral, as he becomes happier, lymphatic system starts moving, heart rate increases temporarily, stops focusing on digestion, can all of a sudden digest foods it couldn’t before because it’s not stressed. Natural drive for more dietary energy. comes back so eating becomes more natural. and food ceases to be the main aspect of life which is not a natural thing for it to be for humans. Sitting at home and evaluating oneself after every meal will never bring good health.

Have to respectfully disagree. Clearly you haven't experienced very high levels of un-health. I can't blame you, I haven't either until the last couple of years, so until you experience it first hand you can't understand. Exercising used to come naturally to me. I used to weight train 30-60 minutes a day 3-5x a week. Now, I can not even tolerate 5 minutes of intense activity. Just 5 minutes of intense activity sends me into chronic fatigue for the whole rest of the day (Made the mistake of riding my bike a few weeks ago, that's all it took to destroy me). Exercise most certainly does not make me happier, it in fact degrades me further. Exercise is a huge stressor on an already stressed body due to fun things like FFA's/FAO/lipolysis (which increase from exercise), increased lactic acid production (in a body that is already full of lactic acid) and increase of tryptophan/cysteine in the body (in a body that is already tryptophan/cysteine toxic). Exercise only promotes health in an already healthy body that actually has a surplus of energy to spare for it. Now, if we're talking some light activity that's fine, but the moment you activate stress hormones, you're done for.

Cirion

And before anyone accuses me of being lazy, I probably have a history of training harder than 99% if not 100% of people on these forums. I once had a deadlift session so intense I was sore for almost 2 weeks. Lol. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if that was health promoting. So, laziness is not a factor here.

oldmanthunder

No, it's not as simple as that. If your digestion is messed up, if your energy production is messed up, you can eat food all day long and still be in a functional energy deficit if the cells are not getting the CO2 they need. That's the problem with hypothyroidism/diabetes/etc.
Exercise improves digestion/oxygenation if done at the appropriate frequency/intensity, it also improves sleep. Most people find that including some kind of exercise in their routine can facilitate healing, as long as recovery is adequate.

aquaman

Question is in the title. What have you found works for you?

I'm pondering whether some kind of Yoga or an Ido Portal-like movement routine could be the ticket.

Waking and very occasional sprinting (a few sets of 20m), and 2-3 short weight sessions a week (30 mins each)

miles

I enjoy Zhang Zhuang( standing like a tree) a form of Chi Kung. Seems to be to be the ultimate Peaty exercise. You can follow along with some short videos about it on youtube from a BBC documentary. It is about conserving and generating energy rather than spending it.

If you avoid pushing sets to failure you can avoid some of the negative effects of training. RPE (rate of percieved exertion) is a popular strategy used among body builders. There can be a time for training to failure depending on your goals, but if you save a few reps on each set you can probably handle more volume with less fatigue post workout.

Last edited:
OP
C

Collden

Just did some lifting today, focusing on doing very controlled movements with low weights and paying attention to how the movement felt rather than just focusing on how much I was lifting, sorta like this guy is advocating

I think this may be the way to go. When I was young I did a lot of weight training but my only focus was basically how much I could lift and how hard I could push it, no doubt part of why I ended up with fatigue and a bunch of injuries and swore I would never lift weights again.

Vinny

Exercise only promotes health in an already healthy body that actually has a surplus of energy to spare for it.
Exactly!

Jem Oz

Wise and timely words. I've been too caught up in ruminating about every little ache and pain these past few months, after a health scare landed me in hospital and triggered some kind of "health anxiety". I started researching all manner of health matters like crazy, kept a journal of how I was feeling day to day (physically), how I felt after each meal etc. In the end, I think all that nervous work did more harm than good. I became paralysed by indecision because literally every choice we make has pros and cons. I finally snapped out of it when some meaningful social experiences had more of a positive impact on me than months of supplementing and hardcore 'peating' and journalling etc.

I certainly won't name names, but you can spot the hypochondriacs and orthorexics on this forum. For them, I think the best thing they could do would be to put all their notes and supplements and measurements away and go canoeing down a river, or take up salsa dancing.

B

Braveheart

Body by Science protocol...the Big 5 ...1 set each, done to failure in 12-15 minutes, once a week...total body workout.

Pdohlen

Grease the groove - 5 times a week. ie every work day.
1/2 my max rep pullups, 3-6 times during the day, together with 10-20 push ups 3-6 times a day. Minimum 1hr between sets. Each set takes me max 5 minutes.
Idea beeing to not build any lactic acid and in general I just feel a bit tighter, stronger.
I play some ball every week, otherwise I would also include some squats in the daily routine.

Grease the Groove- The Russian Military Secret to Strength-Endurance