Is There A Reliable Way To Speed Up Gut Motility?

OP
ecstatichamster
Xylitol has played a important roll in restoring healthy bowl motility for me, i was always bloated for years and could not digest many foods, I consume about 1/4 cup a day, i use it to make smoothies, lemonade, or desserts or can just add to water or milk, tastes and looks just like sugar.

You may want to start slow, maybe 1 tsp a day then up to tablespoon a day and up to 1/3 cup a day, you want to start slow because one of its excellent benefits is increasing bowl motility. I prefer the Xylitol made from Birch. Sometimes i run out and go days or couple weeks before getting more and my digestion is good, but i like eating it, it feels good.

Xylitol is reported to break down bacterial biofilms.

Its beneficial to swish in ones mouth also.

The effect of xylitol on dental caries and oral flora

thank you. What brand of birch xylitol do you use?

Dave Clark

Are Xylitol Side Effects Beneficial or Dangerous?
I have been a fan of xylitol for years, and any gut problems I wrote off to other health issues I had. I had watched a video (one that I can't seem to find right now) of a doctor that was against xylitol, saying that it can mess with good bacteria as well as with the bad. So...I decided to stop putting xylitol in my coffee, which is the way I use it most, and after a week or so I noticed my gut issues had calmed down, that is the good thing, the down side is that I normal would have to move my bowels shortly after drinking my coffee, which I liked the reliable regularity. I actually was surprised to find that in a subtle way xylitol was affecting my gut, but I am not sure that it was in a good way because my gut has improved since I quit using it on a regular basis. I still use it for oral health in small amounts, and occasionally use some in my coffee just to see what it does. I guess the reason I mention this is that xylitol will probably increase gut motility, but I wonder if it is a good thing. This is just my experience.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Are Xylitol Side Effects Beneficial or Dangerous?
I have been a fan of xylitol for years, and any gut problems I wrote off to other health issues I had. I had watched a video (one that I can't seem to find right now) of a doctor that was against xylitol, saying that it can mess with good bacteria as well as with the bad. So...I decided to stop putting xylitol in my coffee, which is the way I use it most, and after a week or so I noticed my gut issues had calmed down, that is the good thing, the down side is that I normal would have to move my bowels shortly after drinking my coffee, which I liked the reliable regularity. I actually was surprised to find that in a subtle way xylitol was affecting my gut, but I am not sure that it was in a good way because my gut has improved since I quit using it on a regular basis. I still use it for oral health in small amounts, and occasionally use some in my coffee just to see what it does. I guess the reason I mention this is that xylitol will probably increase gut motility, but I wonder if it is a good thing. This is just my experience.

The health of the microbiome is not so much about good or bad bacteria its about diversity and balance, if our bowls are not moving well every day then the absolute priority is to increase bowl motility, this is the primary way our bodies detoxify. The effects of gut dysbiosis and constipation are the cause of most chronic human health issues.

The article you link to is saying that research shows Xylitol is beneficial for the gut but to start slow because of its bowl cleansing effects, its good have probiotics also, for probiotics i like apple cider vinegar, kefir, cultured vegetables.

The microbiome analysis offered by the company Viome could be very helpful for anyone with digestive issues and i know thats pretty much everyone on the forum and large percentage of general population. Its not possible to fully recover your health and live a long healthy life without healing and maintaining microbial balance in the gut, for most of us the gut microbiome environment is where our chronic health challenges began.

“We use the advanced science developed for National Security at the Los Alamos National Lab to identify every strain of every organism (bacteria, viruses, fungi, yeast and mold) in your gut, assess how active these organisms are in your gut, and analyze the nutrients and toxins being produced by these organisms.”

“We feed all of this information to our state-of-the-art artificial intelligence engine to recommend the exact foods you should be eating and foods you should be minimizing to keep your gut balanced and keep you free from chronic conditions.”

“By analyzing the genes that microbes express, we can identify which metabolites they produce – in other words, we can determine their role in your body’s ecosystem.”

Our science | Viome

Dave Clark

The health of the microbiome is not so much about good or bad bacteria its about diversity and balance, if our bowls are not moving well every day then the absolute priority is to increase bowl motility, this is the primary way our bodies detoxify. The effects of gut dysbiosis and constipation are the cause of most chronic human health issues.

The article you link to is saying that research shows Xylitol is beneficial for the gut but to start slow because of its bowl cleansing effects, its good have probiotics also, for probiotics i like apple cider vinegar, kefir, cultured vegetables.

The microbiome analysis offered by the company Viome could be very helpful for anyone with digestive issues and i know thats pretty much everyone on the forum and large percentage of general population. Its not possible to fully recover your health and live a long healthy life without healing and maintaining microbial balance in the gut, for most of us the gut microbiome environment is where our chronic health challenges began.

“We use the advanced science developed for National Security at the Los Alamos National Lab to identify every strain of every organism (bacteria, viruses, fungi, yeast and mold) in your gut, assess how active these organisms are in your gut, and analyze the nutrients and toxins being produced by these organisms.”

“We feed all of this information to our state-of-the-art artificial intelligence engine to recommend the exact foods you should be eating and foods you should be minimizing to keep your gut balanced and keep you free from chronic conditions.”

“By analyzing the genes that microbes express, we can identify which metabolites they produce – in other words, we can determine their role in your body’s ecosystem.”

Our science | Viome
I am not sure what you are getting at regarding xylitol. If this particular sugar alcohol is upsetting to a particular individual's gut, it would not be good for them. Some people react strongly in the gut to certain magnesium supplements and either have to change forms or severely reduce dosages. There are people who can eat tons of sugar alcohols and not have problems, and other people who can't even consume a little. Sugar alcohols are notorious for this, just like things like FOS, etc. I am not against xylitol, but one has to make sure it is not disturbing their gut function, otherwise whether it is deemed good or not, it isn't good for that person.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
I am not sure what you are getting at regarding xylitol. If this particular sugar alcohol is upsetting to a particular individual's gut, it would not be good for them. Some people react strongly in the gut to certain magnesium supplements and either have to change forms or severely reduce dosages. There are people who can eat tons of sugar alcohols and not have problems, and other people who can't even consume a little. Sugar alcohols are notorious for this, just like things like FOS, etc. I am not against xylitol, but one has to make sure it is not disturbing their gut function, otherwise whether it is deemed good or not, it isn't good for that person.

Yes i agree we are all different, but there are many variables in knowing if something is good or not for your health, for example what type of Xylitol, and maybe if using Xylitol to make Lemonade instead of in coffee it would have a more beneficial effect. We are in a constant state of change, an important and very frustrating part of the healing process is learning what and when we need something and when its time to stop or give a break to what we are doing or eating.

Memento

Yes i agree we are all different, but there are many variables in knowing if something is good or not for your health, for example what type of Xylitol, and maybe if using Xylitol to make Lemonade instead of in coffee it would have a more beneficial effect. We are in a constant state of change, an important and very frustrating part of the healing process is learning what and when we need something and when its time to stop or give a break to what we are doing or eating.

Fun anecdote, I think I got IBS from quitting smoking with nicotine gums. I munched a lot for years, those are sweetened with xylitol and sorbitol..

BigChad

I take thyroid.

I think milk and cheese slow down my gut. I've been trying A2 milk, to see if it's improved.

What else speeds up gut motility. I use cascara, but hate to depend on it. And get enough magnesium which seems to help.

What else...?

can't remember exactly where I read this, maybe Ray mentioned it, but magnesium and calcium lower stomach acid while iron and phosphorus increase it. If you do a high calcium, high magnesium, low phosphorus low iron diet, that could cause low stomach acid. In addition to that, calcium is supposedly constipating while magnesium is a laxative.
I'm not sure what other minerals/vitamins would be involved. better thyroid function itself would speed up gut motility.
I think some of the artificial sweeteners have laxative effects (but other side effects). Maybe cinnamon, salt or sugar could help.

I take thyroid.

I think milk and cheese slow down my gut. I've been trying A2 milk, to see if it's improved.

What else speeds up gut motility. I use cascara, but hate to depend on it. And get enough magnesium which seems to help.

What else...?
Ray Peat talks about the cancer fighting benefits of casacara. With that being said I have had a lot of bad experiences taking casacara in capsules form, cramping and unpredictability. I now buy it in loose tea form and put a half teaspoon in tea bag in a cup of hot water with gelatin and a big spoonful of orange marmalade and it is gentle and delicious, maybe every other day or so.

Last edited:

Peachy

I second taurine, starting with a tiny amount. I immediately feel things speed up in a healthy (not-laxative) way.

dogtrainer

PHGG. Not Peaty at all. But it has been a game changer for my slow motility. Look at my post history - you will see how miserable I was. Taking this along with probiotic yogurt that I make myself(and other stuff), has pretty much resolved longstanding constipation/SIBO/perma-bloating of 4 years. I just make yogurt in the instant pot and add a scoop of PHGG. It is supposed to increase Bifido and Lactobacillus, and other helpful species. This should make your colon more hypoxic, lower stool pH and get rid of the aerobic baddies that might've invaded. Frankly I don't care how it works, I'll take it forever if it takes away my bloating and pain.

It increased flatulence the first week but now that is leveling out. Just feel normal, light, eliminate once or twice a day.

cascara helped, sort of but I was still bloated and had a ***t appetite. Magnesium never helped me, not in a real sense. When my stomach was inflamed it wouldn't work properly.

changeling188

soda/carbonated water, herbal tea and more movement and exercise. cacao with hot water and milk.

tommyg130

PHGG. Not Peaty at all. But it has been a game changer for my slow motility. Look at my post history - you will see how miserable I was. Taking this along with probiotic yogurt that I make myself(and other stuff), has pretty much resolved longstanding constipation/SIBO/perma-bloating of 4 years. I just make yogurt in the instant pot and add a scoop of PHGG. It is supposed to increase Bifido and Lactobacillus, and other helpful species. This should make your colon more hypoxic, lower stool pH and get rid of the aerobic baddies that might've invaded. Frankly I don't care how it works, I'll take it forever if it takes away my bloating and pain.

It increased flatulence the first week but now that is leveling out. Just feel normal, light, eliminate once or twice a day.

cascara helped, sort of but I was still bloated and had a ***t appetite. Magnesium never helped me, not in a real sense. When my stomach was inflamed it wouldn't work properly.
Is the colon supposed to be hypoxic?

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
I take thyroid.

What else...?
What brand of cascara do you use?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals