Is There A Reasonable Way To Get Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 From Food?

yerrag

That's it. I've given up. I can't find enough B vitamins from a reasonably enjoyable meal.

Doing searches on google and on nutriondata, I was hoping brown rice, or even wheat (which we abhor), or natural cane sugar, would turn up satisfactory results. But no.

100 g of rice bran or wheat germ (yuk!!!) would not even meet the RDA. And natural cane sugar, which is said to contain plenty of these B vitamins - I can't find any information that gives me a number, as to how much mg of of b1, b2, be, b6, it contains.

I just can't believe mankind still exists, if mankind has to rely on supplements for B-vitamins.

I'm sure that it's just that the b vitamins in these foods are either under-reported, or unreported. Otherwise, every single person on earth that does not take b-vitamin supplements would be chronically sick.

Anyway, I had reverted from brown rice to white sugar, and from muscovado sugar (a natural cane sugar) to white sugar. But I'm thinking of going back to muscovado sugar because of the b vitamins, despite some iron content. But looking for data on it, I am frustrated there is no data, be it natural cane sugar, muscovado sugar, or sugar cane juice.

Can anyone point me to some sources please? Thanks.

paymanz

Maybe there is an error in food level of these vitamins.like vitamin c and meat for example.

Or in estimation of daily requirement!?

paymanz

Bananas are good b6 source.

100 g of rice bran or wheat germ (yuk!!!) would not even meet the RDA.
And brans(at least wheat bran) has some anti vitamin chemicals in it,according to some sources, that either block absorption or destroys vitamin in body!

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

Maybe there is an error in food level of these vitamins.like vitamin c and meat for example.

Or in estimation of daily requirement!?
It seems to be the same, doesn't it?

Bananas are good b6 source.

And brans(at least wheat bran) has some anti vitamin chemicals in it,according to some sources, that either block absorption or destroys vitamin in body!
Nutrition data says there's only 0.4mg B6 in 100g of banana. I don't know if I should take it at face value.

I didn't know about the vitamin blocking in wheat bran, that's good to know. How about wheat germ, is it okay? Still, even for wheat germ, which is supposed to be the richest source for b1 and b2, the reported values in nutrition data are so miniscule. And I'm basing on the low supplement requirements off what @mayweatherking has posted about.

schultz

Are you looking for the amounts found in supplements? A banana has a third of the RDA for B6, so it's not bad.

Liver. Almost 100% for B2, B3, B6.

You can eat pork tenderloin for B1. 4 oz as 90% RDA.

4 cups orange juice gives you pretty decent micro's. Add 8 cups of milk and you have a solid foundation. Fill in the blanks with various other things. Adding coffee to your milk helps as well.

paymanz

Wheat germ is loaded with pufa and also other bad stuff.

Agree with schultz.

paymanz

And also some minerals affect absorption and utilization of vitamins, so with optimal level of those minerals maybe your requirement of vitamins comes down a little bit.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Are you looking for the amounts found in supplements? A banana has a third of the RDA for B6, so it's not bad.

Liver. Almost 100% for B2, B3, B6.

You can eat pork tenderloin for B1. 4 oz as 90% RDA.

4 cups orange juice gives you pretty decent micro's. Add 8 cups of milk and you have a solid foundation. Fill in the blanks with various other things. Adding coffee to your milk helps as well.
It didn't occur for me to look at animal-base food for the b vitamins except for B12. I eat liver about once a week but mostly for copper, vitamin A and K. But since it's a weekly thing, I would not be able to get my daily fill of B2, B3, and B6. I eat bananas now 3x a day for the potassium, glad it also satisfies my B6. I'm a regular pork eater, not so much for the tenderloin but for nape, ears, legs, and belly. I suppose it will also have enough B1.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

And also some minerals affect absorption and utilization of vitamins, so with optimal level of those minerals maybe your requirement of vitamins comes down a little bit.
Interesting to know. Which minerals are you referring to?

paymanz

Interesting to know. Which minerals are you referring to?
For example manganese and magnesium affecting thiamine status in body. I have post a study on it.

And also nutrients in general affecting each other status, probably vitamin D can improve taurine retention by kidney, i have posted a study on this as well.

Directly or indirectly they affect each other.

It seems to be the same, doesn't it?

Nutrition data says there's only 0.4mg B6 in 100g of banana. I don't know if I should take it at face value.

I didn't know about the vitamin blocking in wheat bran, that's good to know. How about wheat germ, is it okay? Still, even for wheat germ, which is supposed to be the richest source for b1 and b2, the reported values in nutrition data are so miniscule. And I'm basing on the low supplement requirements off what @mayweatherking has posted about.

what did i say? lol

B vitamins, yeah u make a good point. ray peat told me that you don't need B vitamins everyday, but I mean, if you are in a bad spot, it probably would be necessary, i dont think you need them everyday if your in good health.

this guy says a specific type of yeast is good for B vitamins: Supplement Guide

or you could check our energin, but it doesn't hve b5 or b12, or do some other B supplement

or just eat a smaller amount of liver everyday, and be sure sure to get some beef or oysters every couple of days too

InChristAlone

They say our gut bacteria provided some b vitamins.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

For example manganese and magnesium affecting thiamine status in body. I have post a study on it.

And also nutrients in general affecting each other status, probably vitamin D can improve taurine retention by kidney, i have posted a study on this as well.

I'll take a look. Thanks.

what did i say? lol

B vitamins, yeah u make a good point. ray peat told me that you don't need B vitamins everyday, but I mean, if you are in a bad spot, it probably would be necessary, i dont think you need them everyday if your in good health.

this guy says a specific type of yeast is good for B vitamins: Supplement Guide

or you could check our energin, but it doesn't hve b5 or b12, or do some other B supplement

or just eat a smaller amount of liver everyday, and be sure sure to get some beef or oysters every couple of days too
I think I'm good then, which means I don't need too much supplementation on the b-vitamins. I was under the false impression many b vitamins can only be met with grains. More likely it had to do with my thinking that eating grains that are to refined robs us of many b vitamins, which was why white bread had to be fortified with many b-vitamins. Turns out that enough b1 can be obtained from eating pork, and b2, b3, and b6 can be obtained from liver, although I don't think I'll be eating liver everyday (although that can be done if I ate liver pate). I can eat bananas everyday for b6, which still leaves b2 and b3 for me to need supplementing with (if I don't eat small portions of liver everyday). For b2, I'll have to look for brewer's yeast from sugarbeets, thanks for the link. That leaves b3. Any food there that has b3 other than liver?

They say our gut bacteria provided some b vitamins.
Would that be b12?

I'll take a look. Thanks.

I think I'm good then, which means I don't need too much supplementation on the b-vitamins. I was under the false impression many b vitamins can only be met with grains. More likely it had to do with my thinking that eating grains that are to refined robs us of many b vitamins, which was why white bread had to be fortified with many b-vitamins. Turns out that enough b1 can be obtained from eating pork, and b2, b3, and b6 can be obtained from liver, although I don't think I'll be eating liver everyday (although that can be done if I ate liver pate). I can eat bananas everyday for b6, which still leaves b2 and b3 for me to need supplementing with (if I don't eat small portions of liver everyday). For b2, I'll have to look for brewer's yeast from sugarbeets, thanks for the link. That leaves b3. Any food there that has b3 other than liver?

Would that be b12?

i thought the yeast would be everything

BibleBeliever

I have seen the manganese study on b1 that you posted. Can you post or msg the magnesium and especially the vitamin d/taurine link.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Last edited:

paymanz

I have seen the manganese study on b1 that you posted. Can you post or msg the magnesium and especially the vitamin d/taurine link.
Sure,
Newer Insights Into The Taurinuria Of Vitamin D Deficiency: A Review

Apparantly Magnesium is a cofactor for thiamine triphosphatase
Magnesium deficiency: a possible cause of thiamine refractoriness in Wernicke-Korsakoff encephalopathy. - PubMed - NCBI

Aggravation of thiamine deficiency by magnesium depletion. A case report. - PubMed - NCBI

Arnold Grape

Did someone already say Brewers' Yeast? I think that is the best way of getting the b's, but I can only speculate on the taste.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals