Is There A Reason For Wanting Sugar Over Fruit

beachbum

Hello Everyone

I crave sugar more than fruit, is that normal..maybe because its winter and the fruit doesnt se1em that sweet. Do any of you eat fruit alone, if not all the time what do you eat it with because if I eat fruit on its own I get really hungry. I perfer dried fruit sometimes too.. The fruit I would have a lot of is watermelon but dont.

Thank you in advance..

Last edited:

paymanz

Yes if fruit quality is low,for example if low sugar content,high acid content, too starchy, then sugar is better, but its better to have other nutritious food like milk,potato also ,so you get potassium,magnesium,manganese, and some vitamins with it.

Its very similar to honey, some tribes in Africa eat more than 2000 cal honey a day.

I love dried sweet fruits too,I feel good after eating them, apricot,raisins..…..

Last edited:
OP
beachbum

beachbum

Yes if fruit quality is low,for example if low sugar content,high acid content, too starchy, then sugar is better, but its better to have other nutritious food like milk,potato also ,so you get potassium,magnesium,manganese, and some vitamins with it.

Its very similar to honey, some tribes in Africa eat more than 2000 cal honey a day.

I love drier sweet fruits too,I feel good after eating them, apricot,raisins..…..
Okay..very good. I love honey. I do have milk , potatoes etc..

EIRE24

I love drier sweet fruits too,I feel good after eating them, apricot,raisins..…..
This is seasonal though. They dont eat honey all year round

WestCoaster

Sugar craving is usually indicative of low(er) body temperature. Sugar rapidly increases temperature (doesn't mean it's good though), so the cooler one's running, the more they crave sugar. You could also have bad bacteria in the gut that's forcing the hand of craving as well.

The reason you get real hungry after eating fruit, is because Fructose drives hunger. Glucose has a suppressing effect on the hypothalamus (call it the reward system). Glucose is ingested and the brain sees this as a reward system and appetite is suppressed. Fructose on the other hand does not do this, brain doesn't see it as a "reward", and leptin being the satiety hormone doesn't signal satiety. This just causes one to get hungry. At least with sugar, it's half glucose and can signal the reward system. This doesn't make it good though because the glucose drives up insulin.

Effects of High-Fructose Diets on Central Appetite Signaling and Cognitive Function

I don't think you want to read the whole thing but look under what it says about fructose and appetite. The studies mentioned in there aren't the only of it's kind; I've read many studies where fructose is fed to rats causing them to eat uncontrollably. Even directly injecting rats with insulin causing them to eat uncontrollably (hence why sugar being half glucose and spiking insulin isn't good).

tara

I sometimes raise the sugar/calorie density of fruit by sprinkling sugar or panela on my fruit salad, or stewing fruit with extra sugar, especially if the fruit is not great ripeness or quality. When I tried going without starch for a little while (didn't work well for me, so I gave up on it pretty quickly), I was adding a little simple syrup to my fruit juice, too.

OP
beachbum

beachbum

Sugar craving is usually indicative of low(er) body temperature. Sugar rapidly increases temperature (doesn't mean it's good though), so the cooler one's running, the more they crave sugar. You could also have bad bacteria in the gut that's forcing the hand of craving as well.

The reason you get real hungry after eating fruit, is because Fructose drives hunger. Glucose has a suppressing effect on the hypothalamus (call it the reward system). Glucose is ingested and the brain sees this as a reward system and appetite is suppressed. Fructose on the other hand does not do this, brain doesn't see it as a "reward", and leptin being the satiety hormone doesn't signal satiety. This just causes one to get hungry. At least with sugar, it's half glucose and can signal the reward system. This doesn't make it good though because the glucose drives up insulin.

Effects of High-Fructose Diets on Central Appetite Signaling and Cognitive Function

I don't think you want to read the whole thing but look under what it says about fructose and appetite. The studies mentioned in there aren't the only of it's kind; I've read many studies where fructose is fed to rats causing them to eat uncontrollably. Even directly injecting rats with insulin causing them to eat uncontrollably (hence why sugar being half glucose and spiking insulin isn't good).
Not sure if it was a good idea to read that link..lol. please be patient with me on this one.. okay in that study where they only talking about processed fructose, not sure because they said soild at some point.

So if I eat straight fruit not as a juice the fiber should or will help insulin spike or like RP says have it with protein and fat too?

Thank you

OP
beachbum

beachbum

I just bought dried dates and raisins. They're awesome! Feels a lot more natural to eat during winter than OJ.

Aah yeeeessss, rather have way more then the oj. Oj makes me feel water logged.

800 calories in a 250 gram bag of dried dates. Easy to eat calories.

So if I eat fresh fruit and still hungry I should have a bunch of dried especially for the extra sweetness.. hmmm