Is there a Peaty explanation for why I can't gain muscle and strength?

OP
D
@DrivesOldTruck Thank you for the update. I think that I kinda also have a problem with gaining muscle mass.

Lately I have been reading on here about the low stomach acid problem which a lot of people in here have. And if you have a low stomach acid you can't digest any nutrients effectively and the protein Is not used by your body.

So Im taking a spoon of ACV before every big meal, plus Im taking the HCl supplemebt. I must that I feel better, digestion is also better. Its too soon to report on the muscle gains side but I Will report back.
What are the symptoms of low stomach acid? Would the distilled white vinegar in the carrot salad be enough, or are you taking the ACV on top of that?

OP
D
By the way I have since changed my mind on the whole "one set" stuff; since without eccentric training there is no "recovery" needed, one can do much more volume.

Mentzer was right about a lot tho7gh; about intensity being the main driver of muscle growth for example, it is now widely accepted and known as "mechanical tension".

and his train to failure reccomendarions: Training to failure is an effective way to effectively recruit high percentage of fast twitch muscle fibers, its known as "henemens size principal"

Lately I have been doing exclusively overcoming isometrics, as they avoid muscle damage and allow one to exert all out effort. Also you don't have to worry about the strength curve stuff I mentioned.
Very similar to how the "Great Gama" person i mentioned would train.

(Also the part I quoted from nautilus journal was wrong about strength curves; nautilus equipment has sincd changed to match the actual strength curve which is lower at the beginning and end but highest in the middle. No one noticed it was wrong originally because the momentum would allow one to compensate for the muscle being weaker at the end)
Thanks for update, I'll be exploring this further.

Explorer

Yeah, GOMAD guys (gallon of milk a day), but that actually would get RP approval ?. Starting strength is good. Just main lifts, enough caloric surplus, 500kcal a day. 200 surplus is clean bulk, but really hard to get right. 500 is more anabolic. Go from 10% body fat to 20%, then your testosterone plateous and you get negative effect from too much fat, so start cutting. And go back down to 12 % and hopefully you are left with more muscle, in reality you will most likely just end where you started haha. Being to lean is also bad. You look unhealthy and if visible abs you look underweight in clothes. I look great naked as I have very tiny bones, great V tapper, very slim waist (29 jeans), but in clothes most people just want to buy me a sandwich...?
Also do not underestimate hormonal fluctuations when bulking and cutting. Affects libido, energy etc. And in the long run I doubt it is healthy to jojo up and down.. Just accept your genetics and lift for fun and health. I like ligting heavy, doing dips, squats, pullups, but not Berkhan weights which can f..your joints in the long run.
Been doing gomad but still at 153lbs at 6"2 even though Peating since like 2021 now

BeanSprouts

Diet doesn't matter as much for training as people make it out to. It matters a bit, but adding baking soda to your preworkout isn't going to jack anyone's bench press up by 100 lbs in a week. If you're following Peat's diet framework, then your macros should be fine. No, the issue I see 99% of the time is that people program hop instead of making an objective set of principles for strength training to follow, which is simply progressive overload. It's really that simple. What happens is that youtubers are constantly grasping for content, so every week they have a new "scientifically optimized chest workout" that's 300 different lifts. The more extra crap it has, the more it steals recovery ability from the actual drivers of growth, like your bench press. Then there's the total waste of time, like getting rid of lifting entirely and doing crap like exclusively isometrics.

If your workout doesn't start with you looking at your phone to see what weight and reps you did last time and how you're going to beat that number in some way, you're doing it completely wrong. People will fight you on this too, and it's basic physiology. The only other thing I can think of is that the form is so bad that adding more weight is impossible due to how awkward the lift is. I've been there a few times.

Also never do gimmick programs. Who cares if squatting 5x a week makes your quads sore, if it just runs you into a wall in a week or two. Long term progress is all that matters. A good program has a "stimulus -> rest -> compensation -> repeat" structure. Advanced lifter training isn't worth talking about because nobody here is an advanced lifter.

bodybuilding is 33% food, 33% training, 33% sleeping. Maximize each of these categories and you will "look like you lift" even as a natural lifter. With regard to training i recommend you look into Doug Brignoles Physics based approach to muscle building, which maximizes load to isolated muscles instead of focusing on risky and dangerous compound lifts. 3 days on 1 day off, low volume, moderate weight, high intensity, short intense workouts, eat and recuperate, eggs, cottage cheese, milk, and red meat are staples in bodybuilding nutrition increase your intake of these foods at least 130 grams of protein a day. At your height 170-190 grams/day is more ideal.

blackface

What are the symptoms of low stomach acid? Would the distilled white vinegar in the carrot salad be enough, or are you taking the ACV on top of that?
Im not adding ACV to my carrot salad so Im taking a spoon of it in a mineral water.

youngsinatra

bodybuilding is 33% food, 33% training, 33% sleeping. Maximize each of these categories and you will "look like you lift" even as a natural lifter. With regard to training i recommend you look into Doug Brignoles Physics based approach to muscle building, which maximizes load to isolated muscles instead of focusing on risky and dangerous compound lifts. 3 days on 1 day off, low volume, moderate weight, high intensity, short intense workouts, eat and recuperate, eggs, cottage cheese, milk, and red meat are staples in bodybuilding nutrition increase your intake of these foods at least 130 grams of protein a day. At your height 170-190 grams/day is more ideal.
very good recommendations

stoic

Excellent advice. I would also stress the importance of being in a caloric surplus for substantial growth to happen.

Switching between "bulking" (eat more, build muscle) and "cutting" (eat less, keep muscle) brings the best results.

However, it has to be done in moderation, with unfrequent and progressive changes to avoid overtaxing the body.

OP
D
No, the issue I see 99% of the time is that people program hop instead of making an objective set of principles for strength training to follow, which is simply progressive overload. It's really that simple.
Opposite problem for me. I've been criticized for staying on programs for too long. I was ~18y/o when I started lifting. I began with Starting Strength and stayed on it for over a year. My Squat topped out at something like 3x5 for 205lbs. I always received compliments on my excellent form when I asked experienced lifters for form checks.
If your workout doesn't start with you looking at your phone to see what weight and reps you did last time and how you're going to beat that number in some way, you're doing it completely wrong.
This is how I've always done it. I keep a Google Drive spreadsheet that I can open on my computer at home and on my phone while at the gym.
Also never do gimmick programs.
I've spent years on the popular programs that people swear by. Starting Strength, 5/3/1, Super Squats, nSuns, PHAT, GZCLP, various PPLs, various full-body programs, etc. I did try doing random bull**** too; no dice.

OP
D
I starting working out 11 years ago. Appreciate your comment, but you'll understand there's nothing here that's novel to me. Now, my sleep is completely and utterly ****88 at the moment. But I had amazing, deep sleep back when I first started lifting and still didn't see any progress. Probably going to make a separate thread in a bit just on sleep advice.