Is There A Good Multi Vitamin / Mineral Supplement ?

Beefcake

I would opt in for a multi vitamin that gives you 100% rdi in two tablets. Thus you can take only one per day. I think the purpose of a multivitamin is to fill in for deficiency in food. 50% of all vitamins and minerlas should be enough. But the best scenario is to get all from food. Vitamins and minerals from supplements in my opinion tend to counteract each other aswell. Example sometimes they are higher in zinc than copper and this would lead to copper depletion. Sometimes they don’t have iron and if you’re prone to iron deficiency a lot of vitamins and minerals lower iron. Same with calcium and magnesium. I’ve tried multi loads of times and for me they tend to just mess me up.

Check this thread
Multivitamins Killed My Libido And Cause Low Ferriting

baccheion

I like a few: AOR Ortho-Core, Life Extension Mix (+ Once-Daily Health Booster), Thorne 2/day, and Life Extension Two-per-day.

Then add a D + K and chelated/TRAACS magnesium supplement. Thorne D/K, Life Extension D + K, and Jarrow K-Right. Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium.

I don't like multivitamins, because you can't tailor the ratio of the vitamins to your especific context. Sometimes I like to use more vitamin B2, other times I like to use more B1 or B3. With a multivitamin, I can't do that without ingesting more of the other vitamins. That means I like to buy my vitamins and minerals separately. Yes, it's going to be a lot of bottles, which take up some space and it's not as convenient to travel with, but it's worth it in my opinion.

I take vitamin C, vitamin K2, most B-vitamins, with the exception of choline and B6, and also some amino-acids( taurine, lysine and theanine). As for minerals, I ingest potassium bicarbonate, magnesium bicarbonate and calcium citrate. I've been experimenting with potassium phosphate lately as well. I feel like PureBulk is one of the best places to buy supplements from, that's why I'm slowly transitioning from other brands( Nature's Life, Vitacost, Doctor's Best, etc.) to PureBulk. I've also had good experiences with the brand Jarrow.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don’t think they are optimal either. I took Raw One for part of the year I was back on night shift and I think it had way too much beta carotene for me as a female. There are too many things in multis that could cause more harm than good if you don’t need them in my opinion.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No, there is not.

BigChad

I don't like multivitamins, because you can't tailor the ratio of the vitamins to your especific context. Sometimes I like to use more vitamin B2, other times I like to use more B1 or B3. With a multivitamin, I can't do that without ingesting more of the other vitamins. That means I like to buy my vitamins and minerals separately. Yes, it's going to be a lot of bottles, which take up some space and it's not as convenient to travel with, but it's worth it in my opinion.

I take vitamin C, vitamin K2, most B-vitamins, with the exception of choline and B6, and also some amino-acids( taurine, lysine and theanine). As for minerals, I ingest potassium bicarbonate, magnesium bicarbonate and calcium citrate. I've been experimenting with potassium phosphate lately as well. I feel like PureBulk is one of the best places to buy supplements from, that's why I'm slowly transitioning from other brands( Nature's Life, Vitacost, Doctor's Best, etc.) to PureBulk. I've also had good experiences with the brand Jarrow.

what are the purposes of taking lysine and theanine? Isn't lysine a 5-ar inhibitor. Also does taurine raise prolactin?

Andy316

Wouldnt recommend any vitamin supplement unless you are severely deficient. However, if you really do need one, suggest Solgar V2000, expensive but really worth it.

BigChad

These aren't terrible:
https://www.amazon.com/Emerald-Labo...=emerald+labs&qid=1561742036&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Full disclosure I have done contract work for them before and got to tour their facilities. I like that they don't use the mag stearate or other excipients. Obviously because of the vit A I do not take them.

a lot of stuff in there looks risky like lycopene. is 350mcg a day enough to have an impact on 5ar and dht levels? supposedly the red/orange colored fruits and veggies have several mg of lycopene per serving and some fruits/veggies are rich in boron as well.

T

TheBeard

I would opt in for a multi vitamin that gives you 100% rdi in two tablets. Thus you can take only one per day. I think the purpose of a multivitamin is to fill in for deficiency in food. 50% of all vitamins and minerlas should be enough. But the best scenario is to get all from food. Vitamins and minerals from supplements in my opinion tend to counteract each other aswell. Example sometimes they are higher in zinc than copper and this would lead to copper depletion. Sometimes they don’t have iron and if you’re prone to iron deficiency a lot of vitamins and minerals lower iron. Same with calcium and magnesium. I’ve tried multi loads of times and for me they tend to just mess me up.

Check this thread
Multivitamins Killed My Libido And Cause Low Ferriting

Multivitamins fill in nothing.

They are not absorbed by your body in a way that is usable, unlike when they are tied to real food and enzymes.

The worst of all is Vitamin C, which at the microscopic level acts like glass shards on your nerves.

BigChad

Multivitamins fill in nothing.

They are not absorbed by your body in a way that is usable, unlike when they are tied to real food and enzymes.

The worst of all is Vitamin C, which at the microscopic level acts like glass shards on your nerves.

what about the fat solubles (a,d, e, k), and magnesium aspartate?

Tarmander

a lot of stuff in there looks risky like lycopene. is 350mcg a day enough to have an impact on 5ar and dht levels? supposedly the red/orange colored fruits and veggies have several mg of lycopene per serving and some fruits/veggies are rich in boron as well.

All the multis are going to have draw backs. I suppose it is about what you find the most worrisome. I do not mind Boron personally.

Here is a list of foods with lycopene for reference: Top 10 Foods Highest in Lycopene

350mcg isn't nothing, but it isn't terrible to me personally. I am more bothered by the lutein. I suppose you could always take the woman's which only has 250 mcg on the lycopene

https://www.amazon.com/Emerald-Labo...p/B0142UMXJO?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_8443543011&th=1

Like I said, I like that it has no additives. The B vitamins are also higher quality. Pick your poison.

BigChad

All the multis are going to have draw backs. I suppose it is about what you find the most worrisome. I do not mind Boron personally.

Here is a list of foods with lycopene for reference: Top 10 Foods Highest in Lycopene

350mcg isn't nothing, but it isn't terrible to me personally. I am more bothered by the lutein. I suppose you could always take the woman's which only has 250 mcg on the lycopene

https://www.amazon.com/Emerald-Labo...p/B0142UMXJO?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_8443543011&th=1

Like I said, I like that it has no additives. The B vitamins are also higher quality. Pick your poison.

lutein has the same effects as beta carotene? what do you think of kirkland signatures daily multivitamin overall? other than the iron content are other nutrients in there concerning. there is 250mcg lutein 300mcg lycopene

Tarmander

lutein has the same effects as beta carotene? what do you think of kirkland signatures daily multivitamin overall? other than the iron content are other nutrients in there concerning. there is 250mcg lutein 300mcg lycopene
I don't like the additives they use in manufacturing. Mag Stearate is mineral oil. Silicon Dioxide is sand. Cyanocobalamin is ***t B12. Here is other ***t I don't want: polyethylene glycol, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone,sodium metasilicate

I could go on and on. I would not take that personally.

BigChad

I don't like the additives they use in manufacturing. Mag Stearate is mineral oil. Silicon Dioxide is sand. Cyanocobalamin is ***t B12. Here is other ***t I don't want: polyethylene glycol, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone,sodium metasilicate

I could go on and on. I would not take that personally.

is silicon an essential nutrient and what would food sources be? i remember reading its involved in hair growth and used by the body. do you know of any multivitamin that would be an exact replica of costcos multivitamin, while being a capsule form with no fillers? or even some sort of b complex product that has just 100% rda doses of the b vitamins with no fillers.
also do you think lutein at 250mcg a day would have a noticeable effect

Tarmander

is silicon an essential nutrient and what would food sources be? i remember reading its involved in hair growth and used by the body. do you know of any multivitamin that would be an exact replica of costcos multivitamin, while being a capsule form with no fillers? or even some sort of b complex product that has just 100% rda doses of the b vitamins with no fillers.
also do you think lutein at 250mcg a day would have a noticeable effect
Yum Yum: Silicon dioxide - Wikipedia

You ask too many questions. I don't know Costco's multi, or what would be noticeable to you for lutein, or what companies use additives and what don't. Not many companies are additive free. Maybe just buy bulk powder of what you are looking for and make what you want?

BigChad

Yum Yum: Silicon dioxide - Wikipedia

You ask too many questions. I don't know Costco's multi, or what would be noticeable to you for lutein, or what companies use additives and what don't. Not many companies are additive free. Maybe just buy bulk powder of what you are looking for and make what you want?

The main nutrients i would take a multi for are just to get a minor amount of selenium, iodine, copper iron zinc, and the rda for chromium manganese and molybdenum. Not sure if those last 3 are really necessary

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals