Is Testosterone Responsible For A Competitive/autoritarian Behavior?

sladerunner69

Every study that I read seems to show that T is associated with aggressive and/or competitive behavior.

On the other hand, DHT seems to give a calm and dominant behavior by acting on GABA.

So is T responsible for autoritarism?

What do you think about it?

Did a Drop in Testosterone Civilize Modern Humans?
Sex and the spotted hyena : Nature News

Well this is purely my own experience and I don't expect many to agree, but I have noticed that women in general act far mroe authoritarian than men. Maybe that is because of my experience in school where many "feminists" and "independent" women are employed and hold power, but from elementary to university schooling my male suepriros were far mroe accepting, flexible, open to new ideas. It has always been the female supervisors who impose their will onto me and dictate exacting standards and margins for me to operate by.

Footscray

Sure we are all free to ask all questions. And there may be a link, but I doubt it. But if the implication is that 'maleness' has anything to do with authoritarianism? That would sound like the modern SJW complaining about the 'patriarchy' when the irony is totally lost on them that everything in their culture that supports them has been built by that 'patriarchy'.

Prosper

Well this is purely my own experience and I don't expect many to agree, but I have noticed that women in general act far mroe authoritarian than men. Maybe that is because of my experience in school where many "feminists" and "independent" women are employed and hold power, but from elementary to university schooling my male suepriros were far mroe accepting, flexible, open to new ideas. It has always been the female supervisors who impose their will onto me and dictate exacting standards and margins for me to operate by.
Female leaders only know how a woman thinks and behaves, which is why they don't realize that men don't need to be led by hand like they do. They may assume that in the male reality being a leader is about enforcing rules, when in reality it's about having the necessary job of guiding the group to a direction it has decided to go.

Males are more likely to see leadership as a necessarily authorative position but not fundamentally more valuable than any other position in the group, whereas females see it as a desired position of prestige and social proof. In a male group most are happy with having the most capable person lead the group. In a female group most are happy only with being the leader themselves.

Last edited:

Regina

Haha. Head Nurse Ratched.

Luann

Some people think that stress hormones are a manly trait.

sladerunner69

Some people think that stress hormones are a manly trait.

Perhaps women have more progesterone on average and can deal with stress hormones more efficiently. Or maybe all of the fake health diets women follow and the estrogen birth control pills they take negates that fact...

Authoritarianism may be influenced by stress but is not necessarily determined by it

Testosterone leads to status increasing behavior.

Can be pro-social or anti-social depending on the context.

milkboi

I absolutely agree. Women/girls do a lot better in academia and school than men/boys, because they just shut up and listen.

Hugh Johnson

I have found men to be more domineering, while women are more obedient. There is a different feel to the authoritarianism, but in general men seem more authoritarian. However, men do get crushed early on in school etc when their natural tendencies are not allowed to express themselves. I'm out of my depth here, but it feels as if men are keeping themselves in line directing aggression against themselves, and this creates a pressure in them.

R J

Anyone in a position of power with something to prove can be terrible, but it’s more jarring when it’s a woman.

Because that's what mothers do and you're still was a little boy to them. :D

opethfeldt

Doesn't it make you more submissive and lowers social rank? Alpha is High Dopamine High Test from what I heard. Monkeys who are at the top have the highest Dopamine.
I got promoted during a time I had high serotonin. With high dopamine, I care less about social status whereas with high serotonin, I'm hyper aware of my status and feel a need to prove myself. I think a high dopamine person may be more likely to be suited for a leadership role because people actually want to follow them but they may not actively seek it out, thus leading to more aggressive and "dominant" high serotonin people filling those roles.

BearWithMe

I got promoted during a time I had high serotonin. With high dopamine, I care less about social status whereas with high serotonin, I'm hyper aware of my status and feel a need to prove myself. I think a high dopamine person may be more likely to be suited for a leadership role because people actually want to follow them but they may not actively seek it out, thus leading to more aggressive and "dominant" high serotonin people filling those roles.
caring about social status = low social status
need to prove yourself = low social status

Ableton

Being promoted =/= higher social status.

Sorry.
it definitely is higher status to some people in some social circles. you are deluded if you think otherwise, or that your assessment of social status is worth more than theirs.

get an internship at kpmg and you will know what I am talking about

social status isn't just there, it's what people ascribe to each other.

regarding the thread title:
when I'm highest T, say on a long nofap streak, plenty of exercise, good rest and food, I feel the least authoritarian and the most in control.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals