Logan-

I enjoy eating sushi, especially nigiri. I think I can eat it every day without getting bored from it. But since the fish is uncooked, I worry about contamination, pathogens and gut infections. Do you think it’s safe to eat sushi, microbial-wise?

thomas00

The Japanese have a high incidence of gastric cancers. I've always wondered how big a role raw fish consumption has in that.

I love sushi! But Peat's opinion finally swayed me so I do not eat raw seafood anymore. Ray Peat says you can get Hepatitis from it and definitely parasites are an issue. Also there was a case recently where someone died from a flesh eating disease they got from eating raw oysters. I have just decided it is not worth the risk.

I think the risks are lowered if people properly handle the fish but I think that is pretty rare. I think the rule is that all sushi fish has to be frozen for 2 weeks to kill parasites and I just don't trust that people know that or practice it. It is sad because I love raw tuna and crave it so bad sometimes.

I do still eat cooked sushi.

jitsmonkey

If I lived in a place I could source mine directly from the ocean and make it myself yes.
Would I trust ANYONE outside my home to do it for me? No.

Redshine

Really interesting about Japan I did't now that. But what about Alaska and the eskimo's they also eat a bit more fish/seafood I pressume.

jitsmonkey

Really interesting about Japan I did't now that. But what about Alaska and the eskimo's they also eat a bit more fish/seafood I pressume.

if you're speaking of rural native alaskans they're catching, handling and prepping their own.
Much different than having a chain of distribution for foods. Especially fragile foods like raw fish.
That's the other shortcoming of trying to employ nutritional standards based upon indigenous behaviors.
The indigenous never have a chain of distribution for food. They catch it, grow it, prep it eat it. The chain of distribution is a significant
cog (one of many) in the destruction of the food supply

thomas00

I don't know much about the Inuit apart from Stefansson's tales but maybe the freezing cold in Alaska helps a lot: refrigeration is thought to be behind the decline of stomach cancer mortality.

Redshine

So fresh as possible and refrigerat I will keep in mind. I buy fish/shrimps in the "fishstore" then its fresh and I can check if is wild caught. Don't know for sure how many touche it before it end up there, but's its as fresh as I can get. But as far as the sushi I never really bought that....

Anything I buy at the store gets frozen for a month before I thaw and eat it (needs a bit of labeling obviously)

fradon

I enjoy eating sushi, especially nigiri. I think I can eat it every day without getting bored from it. But since the fish is uncooked, I worry about contamination, pathogens and gut infections. Do you think it’s safe to eat sushi, microbial-wise?

if the place is responsible they will freeze the fish for a certain amount of days and this is suppose to kill parasites and bacteria.

i don't trust those places so i dont' eat it anymore. ony the cooked sushi

dreamcatcher

I love sushi! But Peat's opinion finally swayed me so I do not eat raw seafood anymore. Ray Peat says you can get Hepatitis from it and definitely parasites are an issue. Also there was a case recently where someone died from a flesh eating disease they got from eating raw oysters. I have just decided it is not worth the risk.

I think the risks are lowered if people properly handle the fish but I think that is pretty rare. I think the rule is that all sushi fish has to be frozen for 2 weeks to kill parasites and I just don't trust that people know that or practice it. It is sad because I love raw tuna and crave it so bad sometimes.

I do still eat cooked sushi.
I have a friend who follows the paleo lifestyle. She used to eat a lot of sushi and got parasites. Later on she spent months in a hospital and is still not well.

tara

I would expect raw oysters to be much higher risk than properly prepared raw fish sushi or nigiri.
For oysters and other shellfish, it would presumably depend on the state of the water they are filter feeding in, and the freshness - how son they are eaten, and how cool and clean they are handled.
For sushi, clean handling, proper freezing, and freshness.

You might be able o find out what the practices are of your sushi supplier?

D

danishispsychic

I used to love sushi- ate it at least 3 times a week from really high end japan town sushi bars - I got a huge fish tape infection ( prob from Salmon) - like the kind you read about in the news - GROSS and bad and it messed up my gut for a long time and who knows if it is gone .... Never will I touch it again. Bummer because it's soooo good.

Waynish

I like how everyone jumps on the "sushi is anti-Peat" bandwagon. Silly. Fatty farm-raised salmon is no good... But lots of sushi is great. You avoid eating sea urchins for your "diet"? Insanity!

Alpha

I eat sushi a couple of times a week.

The fish is sushi grade and treated for microorganisms. There's always a risk that the place you eat at is not hygienic.

O

oldfriend

Sorry for the necropost, but I just had to share something I stumbled onto: Boiled Shrimp Sushi / Nigiri (called Ebi on the menu of my local sushi restaurant). Not fried, not raw, just boiled shrimp, rice and probably rice vinegar. Perfect vehicle for soy sauce and wasabi : )