Is summing estradiol, estrone, and estriol the right way to calculate total estrogen levels in serum?

tastyfood

I was looking at some old estrogen tests I had done, and noticed the the total estrogens doesn't match with the sum of estradiol and estrone, even if they are measured in the same units.

Does anyone know if the total estrogens is supposed to be the arithmetic sum of estradiol, estrone, and estriol?

As you can see below, that formula doesn't match with my results:

1675305630511.png

I wonder if this highlights the inaccuracy of blood tests? It's possible that total estrogens and the different types of estrogens were measured with different parts of the sample, yielding different results?

Total estrogens should have been above 100 if summing estrone and estradiol, however, they were reported as 68.

Thank you!

Limon9

I was looking at some old estrogen tests I had done, and noticed the the total estrogens doesn't match with the sum of estradiol and estrone, even if they are measured in the same units.

Does anyone know if the total estrogens is supposed to be the arithmetic sum of estradiol, estrone, and estriol?

As you can see below, that formula doesn't match with my results:

View attachment 47443

I wonder if this highlights the inaccuracy of blood tests? It's possible that total estrogens and the different types of estrogens were measured with different parts of the sample, yielding different results?

Total estrogens should have been above 100 if summing estrone and estradiol, however, they were reported as 68.

Thank you!
Sulfated steroids alone, particularly estrone, are likely to give a better long-term picture than arithmetical summing.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Sulfated steroids alone, particularly estrone, are likely to give a better long-term picture than arithmetical summing.

I'm aware of the usefulness of estrone, but I was still interested in learning about the total estrogens calculation.

Thank you!