Is Sugar Bad/Immoral?

gretchen

You would think listening to anti-sugar movement that there is actually something immoral about it like it's some kind of drug. Have you eliminated sugar for any amount of time and if so, what were your results? Did you elminate it for health reasons or to become a "better" person, etc? When did you first get the idea that there is something terrible about white sugar?

Birdie

Re: Is Sugar Immoral?

So, Rachel, I was "sugar free intentioned" for about 13 years.
Yes, whenever I ate something with sugar, I felt I was letting myself down.

I may have gotten my ideas about sugar from Adelle Davis when I was in high school. My long time guru was Jonathan Wright.

It's been much easier for me to go back to sugar with all the media hype against it. When I was more alone, I thought I was clever. But as the idea became mainstream, it was easier for me to question it.

chris

I suppose the negative interpretations of sugar I learnt through browsing paleo sights looking for a diet to become healthier. I remember craving carbs and sugar so, so much but I tried to resist as much as I could.

I had great results such as panic attacks, anxiety and waking up in the middle of the night with adrenaline running sky high. Thank god I don't have to force myself to do any of that anymore.

Ray-Z

chris said:
I had great results such as panic attacks, anxiety and waking up in the middle of the night with adrenaline running sky high. Thank god I don't have to force myself to do any of that anymore.

My sentiments about paleo exactly.

OP
G

gretchen

Well, just as an aside, I wonder if it has something to do with the sugar cane industry; like, "moral" perceptions people have about it due to the fact that slavery has been part of that industry? Certainly, I think people are very confused these days because of the introduction of high fructose corn syrup............... I think for indoctrinated types it's hard to understand much of anything about health.

141 reasons sugar ruins your health!:
http://nancyappleton.com/141-reasons-su ... ur-health/

Sugar can cause juvenile delinquency in children.
Sugar can increase reactive oxygen species (ROS), which can damage cells and tissues.
Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, inability to concentrate and crankiness in children.
Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
Sugar causes copper deficiency.
Sugar can cause premature aging.
Sugar can lead to alcoholism.
Sugar can cause tooth decay.
Sugar can lead to obesity.
Sugar can cause learning disorders in school children.
Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
Sugar can impair the structure of DNA.
Sugar can increase the amount of liver fat.
Sugar is the number one enemy of the bowel movement.
Sugar can adversely affect children’s grades in school.
Sugar can cause depression.
Sugar reduces learning capacity.
Sugar can contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.
Sugar is an addictive substance.
Sugar can be intoxicating, similar to alcohol.
Sugar is a risk factor for lung cancer. :?
Sugar can worsen the symptoms of children with attention deficit disorder (ADD).
Sugar increases the risk of breast cancer.
Sugar can ruin the sex life of both men and women by turning off the gene that controls the sex hormones.
Sugar can cause fatigue, moodiness, nervousness, and depression.

UGH. :geek:

Birdie

I remember when she wrote, "Sugar Blues." I went to her house once with a little group of fellow minded souls.

Sunjoy

gretchen said:
You would think listening to anti-sugar movement that there is actually something immoral about it like it's some kind of drug. Have you eliminated sugar for any amount of time and if so, what were your results? Did you elminate it for health reasons or to become a "better" person, etc? When did you first get the idea that there is something terrible about white sugar?

I think I first likely tried to eliminate sugar for heath reasons but at one point I viewed sugar as evil white stuff worse than cocaine!

I was on every sugar busting diet in existence I think - including being part of Kathleen DesMaisons community of "sugar addicts" or rather "sugar sensitives" as they call themselves. Just couldn't do it. Saw myself as a huge failure and hopeless addict. All I can say is thank God that's over!

I ended up with the mindset that only the natural sugar in fruit and veggies is OK and fruit only in moderation because it spikes blood sugar - yada yada yada!

Zanjabil

No! The only thing immoral about it is the history of the cane plantations. Ever read "Sugar Blues" or "Sugar:
A Bittersweet History"?

OP
G

gretchen

Re: Is Sugar

Yes, I read Sugar Blues. Sugar tastes good, it's bad for you. Actually, that is not the current argument. And the plantation connection has never caught on.

Jenn

I grew up with sugar is EVIL. I was always overweight. I gained even more weight getting into meat is evil.

I lost 30 lbs eating homemade french fries (coconut oil) with as much salt as I could handle and strawberries and cream (whole milk) with lots of white sugar and a pinch of salt and a little cream of tartar (potassium) and ionic minerals.

I don’t tend towards sugar. My whole life, even as a child, I did not like sweets, and I was always sick, until discovering Ray Peat, and adding in sugar sources. I have no health issues anymore, and do not take medications or supplements, besides occasional MSM crystals to enhance my skin and and occasional low dose vitamin K1 to balance my “O” blood-type thinner blood.