Is Sugar Always Recommended When You Use Pregnenolone?

gilson dantas

Considering that a person will take pregnenolone [or thyroid, or progesterone]: in any case, will certainly happens an improvement of cellular/mitochondrial respiration, I suppose.
And, in that case, it will certainly happens the release of unsaturated fatty acids from the body deposits [in our society we have those oils in our body].
The liberation of those oils will, certainly, generate a worsening of symptoms.
If all this is correct, is not the case that we must always recommend to that person a regular supply of sugar, so the blood sugar does not fall and therefore does not happen the undesirable release of cortisol and unsaturated fatty acids?

tomisonbottom

Considering that a person will take pregnenolone [or thyroid, or progesterone]: in any case, will certainly happens an improvement of cellular/mitochondrial respiration, I suppose.
And, in that case, it will certainly happens the release of unsaturated fatty acids from the body deposits [in our society we have those oils in our body].
The liberation of those oils will, certainly, generate a worsening of symptoms.
If all this is correct, is not the case that we must always recommend to that person a regular supply of sugar, so the blood sugar does not fall and therefore does not happen the undesirable release of cortisol and unsaturated fatty acids?

I think the main idea of Peat's work is to support the thyroid and metabolism with keeping blood sugar regulated ALL THE TIME, regardless if you're taking supplements, but with supplements you'll often need added calories/nutrition to support the increase in metabolism.

So, I think the answer is yes, but that also you would ideally be doing that all the time, anyway.

OP
gilson dantas

gilson dantas

perfect @tomisonbottom!
I think I agree with you; but now we have the next question: with too much sugar all over the time, IF my thyroid don´t improve quickly [which is difficult with so many poliinsaturated fats on my body] what are the consequences of too much regular sugar? Fattening?
[by the way: that idea of C S Lewis is outstanding]

tomisonbottom

perfect @tomisonbottom!
I think I agree with you; but now we have the next question: with too much sugar all over the time, IF my thyroid don´t improve quickly [which is difficult with so many poliinsaturated fats on my body] what are the consequences of too much regular sugar? Fattening?
[by the way: that idea of C S Lewis is outstanding]

I think you just want to make sure to get enough protein and eat as much sugar you want as long as it's from a clean source. I think appetite is a good guide. When you've had too much sugar, you'll know it; it won't sound good to you.

OP
gilson dantas

gilson dantas

I see, @tomisonbottom.
But what happens if I follow the appetite on sugar, and I am getting fat? And the lactic acid is growing to 3,2 [which means, perhaps, that sugar isn´t oxidizing].
How to accelerate the thyroid function [the oxidative respiration]?

tomisonbottom

I see, @tomisonbottom.
But what happens if I follow the appetite on sugar, and I am getting fat? And the lactic acid is growing to 3,2 [which means, perhaps, that sugar isn´t oxidizing].
How to accelerate the thyroid function [the oxidative respiration]?

Are you getting fat? or is this just a concern?

If I were you, I would track your temp and pulse 3 times a day for 2 weeks and then add thyroid if you can't keep a heart rate of 85 and a temp of 98.6 during the day with diet alone.

tara

Peat seems to favour maintaining adequate sugar levels, not chronically excessive ones (though he doesn't favour overreacting to transient hyperglcemia). Do you have reason to believe they are chronically high?

But what happens if I follow the appetite on sugar, and I am getting fat?
Depends what else is going on, and history. For people who have a depressed metabolism as an adaptive response to chronic severe food insufficiency (eg from famine, excessively restrictive dieting, or anorexia etc), the normal response to restoring adequate food consumption is to first gain some fat.
If the sugar is not being consumed along with all the necessary nutrients for it's efficient metabolism, this can be addressed - eg favouring fruit, juice, milk over refined sucrose etc.

Consequences of too much refined sucrose in the absence of sufficient micronutrient-dense foods may be depletion of other nutrients. The body needs many nutrients to use sugar well - potassium, magnesium, b-vits, ...
An increased metabolism is likely to need increased amounts of many nutrients.

OP
gilson dantas

gilson dantas

Peat seems to favour maintaining adequate sugar levels, not chronically excessive ones
Sorry, I apologize, @tara, I´am NOT talking about glicemia;
Perhaps I did not explain myself well: my blood glucose levels are normal [88];
I´m talking about eat sugar;
a tablespoon in each orange juice and also sugar at the cofee; nothing else;
and I'm gaining weight [8 pounds in two months];
[I have 1,73 m and 140 pounds]
I do a diet rich in nutrients, the best R Peat style I can do, with liver, shrimp, cheese, meat [little], orange juice, coconut oil, eggs etc ; so I think I have good micronutrients; but the question is: my thyroid is low and gained weight;
this is only my concern;
and I used thyroid but the metabolic rate stills low [temperature never goes of 35.8 or 36 C];
my question is: 1- that fattening is a problem?
2 - how to optimize my thyroid before to be a fat man?

tara

There are different opinions here about both how much of a problem the fat is likely to t be, and the the best way to address the situation.
I think the optimal solution may vary, depending on context - including both the causes of the low metabolism and the current state.

It seems that when there is a lot of fat, it can produce estrogen, and too much estrogen can cause trouble, including a tendency to slow metabolism. It is not clear to me whether this is only a problem for fat that is is built from PUFAs in the diet, or whether it also applies to more saturated fats that the body builds from sugars. The body can also desaturate fats to create some PUFAs itself. Fat on cold extremities/periphery tend to be more unsaturated, and maybe this makes it more of a problem - keeping warm may help with this.

There is a small statistical association with large amounts of fat with some degenerative diseases. At this level, it is more a correlation than a demonstrated causal relationship. It may be that for some people, the fat is the body's adaptation to some other degenerative process - possibly sometimes a pro-survival adaptation. (You can read here and elsewhere about the 'obesity paradox'). At any rate, the point where there is even a statistically significant association between high fat mass and worse health outcomes is up in the range of 'obese' and above (not 'overweight'). I have seen mortality graphs showing the lowest mortality at around BMI 27 (in the so-called 'overweight' category). At BMI 21 (around the middle of the 'normal' BMI range), you are well below that. I don't mean that you should deliberately strive to get up to BMI 27. Many people are healthy at a BMI like yours too - it may well be quite individual, as is height. But I would not assume that gaining a bit of weight - including some fat - is a terrible thing.

I can't remember if this applies to you - but the reason I think the causes of low metabolism are relevant to how to address the issue is because undereating is one way to lower metabolism, and I do not know a way to restore metabolism in such cases without eating more. This typically results in fat gain early on, and such fat gain, in that context, does not seem to me to be good grounds to back off and eat less. Chronic energy deficiency from undereating can cause a lot of health problems. If the energy deficit is severe and prolonged, the health costs can be a lot more severe than those associated with even quite large fat. (More discussion on recovery from undereating here - can't remember if I've pointed you to this before: Recovery From Undereating - Youreatopia)

If you are concerned to improve your body's ability to efficiently oxidise sugar for energy to run your metabolism, then paying attention to getting enough of all the other nutrients, and sunlight, and CO2 levels are probably all relevant. Choosing carby foods that carry with thenm a lot of useful micronutrients can be one part of that strategy - not necessarily avoifding refinced sucrose altogether, but maybe not making it a large proportion of your carbs would be one option (there are different opinions on that here too.
(But if one has been chronically or severely undereating, even with optimal nutrition, the body may want to put on some fat for energy security before it is willing to raise metabolism.)

Some people recommend carefully and gradually increasing calorie intake instep with increasing metabolism, so that you always supply enough for what you can currently use without gaining fat, but not more. @Mittir has described this process well somewhere here.

Personally, the strategy I chose was to make sure I ate enough, to go with listening to my appetite and avoiding excessive hunger stress, and let my body figure out what to do with it all.

OP
gilson dantas

gilson dantas

(But if one has been chronically or severely undereating, even with optimal nutrition, the body may want to put on some fat for energy security before it is willing to raise metabolism.)
Personally, the strategy I chose was to make sure I ate enough, to go with listening to my appetite and avoiding excessive hunger stress, and let my body figure out what to do with it all.
@tara, I think these are good arguments; I´ll think about it. And I´ll see the @Mittir arguments too. And youreatopia [I don´t know it]
Thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals