Is Stress Contagious?

Sativa

I have issues picking up other people's energy. It really effects me. You have to kinda create an invisible barrier to keep these energies out.

If you are able to practically become a self-defined person, who literally is able to 'author their own reality' and has the mental and emotional resilience and discipline - it is possible to be unaffected by external circumstances. You might still percieve them, sure, but, they have no power over your internal state - you are no longer a 'victim to external circumstance' - for it is you that becomes the proactive force that defines your circumstance.
I suppose for the more metaphysically minded members, the concept of an energetic buffer barrier / shield might be adequate. Also, being in a pro-active state - as opposed to passive - can result in you becoming, for lack of a better word ... impervious.

I am quite sensitive to external things, so it was in my best interests to explore novel strategies to acclimatise, and fortify my inner resolve, so as to become a force 'in and of myself' - via both a shift in my mentality/attitude as well as belief system.

In an alternative way of putting it, I am so focused on myself, my inner narrative, my projects, passions and what I happen to be doing at any particular time, that i simply have no time to put towards focusing or paying attention to other things. This is not to imply that I am oblivious to others and their needs. I suppose based on my words someome might assume I am selfish. But, if i am not to care for, maintain and nurture my inner self, who will?

I realise my description becomes somewhat abstract, but I really did my best!

InChristAlone

If you are able to practically become a self-defined person, who literally is able to 'author their own reality' and has the mental and emotional resilience and discipline - it is possible to be unaffected by external circumstances. You might still percieve them, sure, but, they have no power over your internal state - you are no longer a 'victim to external circumstance' - for it is you that becomes the proactive force that defines your circumstance.
I suppose for the more metaphysically minded members, the concept of an energetic buffer barrier / shield might be adequate. Also, being in a pro-active state - as opposed to passive - can result in you becoming, for lack of a better word ... impervious.

I am quite sensitive to external things, so it was in my best interests to explore novel strategies to acclimatise, and fortify my inner resolve, so as to become a force 'in and of myself' - via both a shift in my mentality/attitude as well as belief system.

In an alternative way of putting it, I am so focused on myself, my inner narrative, my projects, passions and what I happen to be doing at any particular time, that i simply have no time to put towards focusing or paying attention to other things. This is not to imply that I am oblivious to others and their needs. I suppose based on my words someome might assume I am selfish. But, if i am not to care for, maintain and nurture my inner self, who will?

I realise my description becomes somewhat abstract, but I really did my best!
Yes I can get wrapped up in my own world, but I am a stay at home Mom who also homeschools so I have to be somewhat connected if I want things to work out. And maybe due to being so connected and taking on my children's stresses that I do kinda try to go into myself too much for protection. Because I have a son who can get very aggressive and I have to be physical with him at times that can leave me wiped out not just physically but energetically. It depends on the day. I consider Moms the superheros. We do it all. Or at least the ones who are involved. But it's a big task, I was hypervigilent when my kids were young and I still am to a degree. As a society no one talks about these things, I'm sure it was just second nature to tribal people to raise and nurture their young without becoming undone.

Sativa

I see. I was trying to speak as broadly as possible. From what you have described, we have very different narratives going on.

Because I have a son who can get very aggressive and I have to be physical with him at times that can leave me wiped out not just physically but energetically.

I am curious - (I understand if this is too personal to ask!) - is there a potential underlying emotional component to your sons tendancy to express himself aggresively? Or is it related to a 'labelled developmental factor', re neurological etc.

vulture

I was dating a hot chick that is anxious and stressed...WAS
I couldn’t tolerate feeling their nervousness near me, it’s like if she was amplyfing my stress levels

Regina

I think society has us all smiling and expecting us to be happy. Look at old photos, their not smiling. It’s hard just to live with that.

When I have all my ducks in a row, I’m not affected by anyone. It’s like I have an inner confirmation. It’s like an airplane, put your air mask on first, and then you can do what you can for others. And I do believe that I’m my best friend and my worst enemy. I get stuck in many funcks in my head.

I believe that each of us has the same variables in the mind, and that’s why we feel the vibes of others. But I do know some, who are oblivious to that, and they get a lot done in their lives (baking pies, cleaning their house, Martha Stewart-ish) because their not ruminating on the inner. I think that it’s the healthiest to let things be, and be there as long as I am able. Just to show that I am a human being.

I never want to “burden” someone with my junk. I’m like a cat, going off on my own until I’m better. Just my instinct.

Oh to answer that question “is stress contagious “, I think if you don’t know you. And if you look to others to tell you who you are. You’re the only one who knows, and if you look to others that’s where the mess comes in.
:thumbsup:

InChristAlone

I see. I was trying to speak as broadly as possible. From what you have described, we have very different narratives going on.

I am curious - (I understand if this is too personal to ask!) - is there a potential underlying emotional component to your sons tendancy to express himself aggresively? Or is it related to a 'labelled developmental factor', re neurological etc.
We've been trying to figure it out for at least 3 yrs. He's 6.5 and is extremely strong willed. If he wants something he's not backing down. So then comes the aggression. It's like a temper tantrum. Hoping it calms down as he gets older or we'll definitely be looking for other options. In general he is better if he doesn't have any food coloring. But that isn't the only factor as we've cut it out and he's still having some meltdowns.

Waynish

You could get a lobotomy... You're just sensitive, which is useful. Just need to learn to manage it. For some reason, if you tell someone, "whenever I listen to music so loud my ears ring, I really don't feel well after," then very few would say, "well we just need to change your physiology such that when you stand next to the speakers at the rock concert, you shouldn't feel bad. Based on how human communication works, being around nasty people can saturate your senses (unless you have serious internal training).

Ashoka

Do you have an INFJ/INFP personality type? I’m an INFJ and it’s characterized by extroverted feeling, which basically means soaking in other people’s emotions. It sucks a lot sometimes, and I wish I had better ways of managing that phenomenon.

Ashoka

I was dating a hot chick that is anxious and stressed...WAS
I couldn’t tolerate feeling their nervousness near me, it’s like if she was amplyfing my stress levels

I’ve had a similar experience. I’m not good at maintaining my own emotional stability in these situations.

Sativa

He's 6.5 and is extremely strong willed. If he wants something he's not backing down. So then comes the aggression. It's like a temper tantrum.
In general he is better if he doesn't have any food coloring. But that isn't the only factor as we've cut it out and he's still having some meltdowns.

I see.
My parents also noticed when they removed E-numbers and other additives from my diet, I was calmer. I was never aggressive ... but I do recall biting kids at nursery! (i soon got over that habit...!)

From what you said, at the core, it seems like an emotionally driven inner dynamic that leads to him expressing himself in the way you describe. Perhaps there was some emotional trauma involved? My parents divorced at age 12 so I'm sort of familiar with this aspect.

Btw, just wondering - have you tried reducing/removing food-based opioid's which could be a factor influencing his mode of expression?
The brain opioid systems are known to play an important role in motivation, emotion, attachment behavior, the response to stress and pain, and the control of food intake.

Common food related opioids:
  • Casomorphin (from casein found in the milk of mammals, including cows)
  • Gluten exorphin (from gluten found in wheat, rye, barley)
  • Gliadorphin/gluteomorphin (from gluten found in wheat, rye, barley)
  • Soymorphin-5 (from soybean)
  • Rubiscolin (from spinach)
  • Menthol – Found in numerous species of mint, (including peppermint, spearmint, and watermint), menthol activates the kappa opioid receptor (associated with fear, dysphoria)
Looking at things from an eastern chinese traditional perspective, the Liver is the organ that processes emotions, notably associated with anger.

Here is a concise insight into the interconnected nature of the chinese perspective, as well as associations which might elucidate some things.
the-five-elements-1024x745.jpg

source: Five Element Framework | TCM World

Last edited:

Peatogenic

There's not enough research yet to know, but it would seem super simplistic to think that the stress we can feel around others is 100% biological/pheremones.

Makrosky

There's not enough research yet to know, but it would seem super simplistic to think that the stress we can feel around others is 100% biological/pheremones.
Who's saying it is 100% pheromones ? It is many more things, there's a cognitive aspect also. Just seeing someone suffering can make you suffer as well, etc...

There's also energetic fields your body is emitting and picking up from others.

Many things. But at least it seems the pheromone route has been demonstrated experimentally.

InChristAlone

I see.
My parents also noticed when they removed E-numbers and other additives from my diet, I was calmer. I was never aggressive ... but I do recall biting kids at nursery! (i soon got over that habit...!)

From what you said, at the core, it seems like an emotionally driven inner dynamic that leads to him expressing himself in the way you describe. Perhaps there was some emotional trauma involved? My parents divorced at age 12 so I'm sort of familiar with this aspect.

Btw, just wondering - have you tried reducing/removing food-based opioid's which could be a factor influencing his mode of expression?

Common food related opioids:
  • Casomorphin (from casein found in the milk of mammals, including cows)
  • Gluten exorphin (from gluten found in wheat, rye, barley)
  • Gliadorphin/gluteomorphin (from gluten found in wheat, rye, barley)
  • Soymorphin-5 (from soybean)
  • Rubiscolin (from spinach)
  • Menthol – Found in numerous species of mint, (including peppermint, spearmint, and watermint), menthol activates the kappa opioid receptor (associated with fear, dysphoria)
Looking at things from an eastern chinese traditional perspective, the Liver is the organ that processes emotions, notably associated with anger.

Here is a concise insight into the interconnected nature of the chinese perspective, as well as associations which might elucidate some things.
View attachment 12119
source: Five Element Framework | TCM World
There could be trauma involved as my older child struggled to love his brother and would hit him if he was doing something he didn't like. It sucks because bullying is something I think is a bad trauma and yet I couldn't control what was happening no matter what we tried. Finally he has learned not to lash out at him, but the trauma is there and I tend to be the one he takes it out on. Never thought parenting would go this way as I remember my Dad spanking me as an older kid and I will never forget how that made me feel, so I can only imagine how my son feels when his brother scratches or slaps him.

We do eat quite a bit of gluten, but I am starting to make sourdough in the hopes of making it more digestible, neither of them eat much dairy. I should make note cutting out gluten didn't seem to change anything in our family for the 6 months I did it. But we were eating more dairy back then.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals