Is Store Bought Non Organic Orange Juice Okay?

Gametime

Guys, Is store bought non organic orange juice not from concentrate 100% orange juice okay? Atm i really cannot afford tons and tons of oranges plus taking the time to squeeze them everyday.. Dan Wich' toxinless website has helped me find a good orange juice at Sainsburys in the UK without all the flavour packs and enzymes, it's also just 100% orange juice nothing at all added etc.. But the orange juice is pasteurized .. I have not been buying organic but wouldnt the pasteurisation process destroy any type of pesticide/herbicide present in non organic orange juice? Or even are these things something to worry about with store bought orange juice? Is store bought orange juice beneficial still? I did ask sainsburys if there would be pesticides etc in the juice and they just said 'no'... ?
cheers!
What do you guys consume?

A. squamosa

If it's your only option because of financial and time constraints then go for it! It's probably better to have it than not to. Maybe you could add a pectin free marmalade into your food choices regularly? Also, if you do buy your own oranges, remember you can make your own marmalade from the skins - so you get two products when you buy oranges - might be worth considering that from a financial perspective?

Ultimately, don't stress too much. If that's what you can afford, then that's your best option, make peace with it rather than being worried about it :)

dibble

Guys, Is store bought non organic orange juice not from concentrate 100% orange juice okay? Atm i really cannot afford tons and tons of oranges plus taking the time to squeeze them everyday.. Dan Wich' toxinless website has helped me find a good orange juice at Sainsburys in the UK without all the flavour packs and enzymes, it's also just 100% orange juice nothing at all added etc.. But the orange juice is pasteurized .. I have not been buying organic but wouldnt the pasteurisation process destroy any type of pesticide/herbicide present in non organic orange juice? Or even are these things something to worry about with store bought orange juice? Is store bought orange juice beneficial still? I did ask sainsburys if there would be pesticides etc in the juice and they just said 'no'... ?
cheers!
What do you guys consume?

Im from the UK, helloooooo, whats the brand of OJ you buy? (May as well piggy back on your research ) cheers

OP
G

Gametime

Im from the UK, helloooooo, whats the brand of OJ you buy? (May as well piggy back on your research ) cheers
Howdyy.. the best ones I've found are 'Sainsbury's 100% pure squeezed smooth orange juice, Not from concentrate' and Don simons orange juices are good! Tesco also do a good from concentrate own brand orange juice!

schultz

I drink regular store orange juice. My friend who also follows the Peat inspired diet drinks a lot of fresh squeezed OJ, but he is single and lives alone and I have a family of 4. I think I'd go broke buying only fresh squeezed.

I'm not saying you're doing this but I think a lot of people make the mistake when trying to become healthier of focusing on little small things. I am not sure why? It must be some kind of psychological thing because I see it a lot.

For example, someone worrying about the small amount of estrogen in milk but then consuming lots of PUFA, not bothering to lose bodyfat, or taking excessive DHEA.

Start with big changes first. Getting PUFA under 4g a day (as a rough guide) will be way more important than the difference of store bought vs fresh squeezed juice. Once everything else in your diet and lifestyle is fixed you can worry about the OJ lol.

I personally don't consume gelatin very often. I think it would probably help me but I haven't created the habit yet. I think adding gelatin would be way more important than switching to fresh squeezed juice.

Just my opinions!

OP
G

Gametime

I drink regular store orange juice. My friend who also follows the Peat inspired diet drinks a lot of fresh squeezed OJ, but he is single and lives alone and I have a family of 4. I think I'd go broke buying only fresh squeezed.

I'm not saying you're doing this but I think a lot of people make the mistake when trying to become healthier of focusing on little small things. I am not sure why? It must be some kind of psychological thing because I see it a lot.

For example, someone worrying about the small amount of estrogen in milk but then consuming lots of PUFA, not bothering to lose bodyfat, or taking excessive DHEA.

Start with big changes first. Getting PUFA under 4g a day (as a rough guide) will be way more important than the difference of store bought vs fresh squeezed juice. Once everything else in your diet and lifestyle is fixed you can worry about the OJ lol.

I personally don't consume gelatin very often. I think it would probably help me but I haven't created the habit yet. I think adding gelatin would be way more important than switching to fresh squeezed juice.

Just my opinions!

I totally agree with you! I'd say I'm probably doing myself more harm than good worrying about tiny things like this!

I'm sure I've heard that ray drinks store bought from concentrate apparently so all is good, I was just wondering about the pesticides of non organic orange juice more than anything ! Cheers :)

dibble

Howdyy.. the best ones I've found are 'Sainsbury's 100% pure squeezed smooth orange juice, Not from concentrate' and Don simons orange juices are good! Tesco also do a good from concentrate own brand orange juice!
Thanks!

Malris

I also squeezed my own for a while, took a long time.

I found an OJ at Trader Joe's (in the States, so might not help you) that is "fresh squeezed" and offered in two types: pasteurized and unpasteurized. For what it's worth, the pasteurized one tastes like "store bought" OJ, the unpasteurized one tastes like I squeezed it myself earlier that day. Amazing flavor.

I imagine if you can find an unpasteurized one, it is probably better.

OP
G

Gametime

Yeah it's very time consuming to squeeze oranges everyday. Someone told me that Ray drinks from concentrate orange juice, also, in an interview on KMUD, ray said the pasteurisation doesn't matter.
My only concern is the way the oranges are squeezed, the supermarket I buy from told me the oranges are washed before being squeezed and pasteurised. if the oranges are squeezed whole with the orange peel wouldn't the pesticides be very present in the juice? Or would the pasteurisation take care of that and the fact they are washed first. Also, Sainsbury's told me that there was no way of pesticides getting in the juice.

Back
Top Bottom