Is Smoking Safe?

Discussion in 'Ask For Help or Advice' started by paka, Dec 2, 2017.

1. paka

paka Member

is cancer a real risk?

2. Liubo

Liubo Member

I think reactive oxygen species are a concern and that smoking isn't safe. Which is too bad because I kind of enjoyed it before I stopped doing it.

3. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

4. Reaper242xx

Reaper242xx Member

The idea of putting burnt plant matter into your lungs isn't a good idea. I'm a occasional cannabis smoker, that being said I have no delusions about it probably being bad on the lungs, and possibly other things as well. Tobacco might be less bad considering it produces less tar. The problem with tobacco is it's so hard to get a pure unadulterated source of tobacco. Most tobacco products are laced with copious amounts of other cancer forming compounds. Which could explain why cannabis users experience less lung problems overall due to it not being as tainted as tobacco. If you could find a tobacco source that 100% organic with no radiated fertilizers on it that would be your best bet. All this to say I don't think you could ever deem smoking "safe". Cut out pufa, get plenty of gelatin, fruit, saturated fat, sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium in your diet and you'll be able to mitigate as much stress and inflammation as possible, excluding your smoking habit of course.

5. cyclops

cyclops Member

Organic American Spirits?

What about vaping, is that much better?

6. kayumochi

kayumochi Member

Even if you don't get lung cancer or any other form of cancer, smoking will damage your health in other ways.

7. lampofred

lampofred Member

Peat says smoke is carcinogenic but that transdermal nicotine may be useful in some cases such as in old age

8. cyclops

cyclops Member

I better hurry up and get older then.

9. raypeatclips

raypeatclips Member

Ray told me (in relation to a question about smoking) that 5 strong cups of coffee a day protects against toxins.

I've been reading every smoking thread that comes up on the various Peat forums over the last few years and I feel convinced smoking isn't as bad as people make out. With that being said I haven't begun smoking, so my belief isn't that solid.

10. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

I don’t think light or moderate smoking is bad. In fact I think it can be very good. That said I don’t smoke cigarettes or inhale tobacco.

11. lampofred

lampofred Member

My suspicion is that the heavy propaganda against smoking is due to the fact that the gov realized smoking lowers serotonin/increases tyrosine hydroxylase/increases androgens thus making people much more rebellious and harder to control. Not saying that smoking is safe but after learning about Ray Peat, I'm really doubting whether gov recommendations for health are really ever made with health as the only goal. If the war on smoking tobacco is really due to it's health effects, then why is smoking marijuana, which is just as bad on your lungs, and drinking alcohol, which wreaks havoc on your body, not demonized by the left? My answer is that weed and alcohol increase estrogen/serotonin/prolactin unlike tobacco and weaken you, which is why they are being pushed and tobacco is being demonized. Again, not saying that smoking tobacco is safe, but just putting it into perspective.

12. cyclops

cyclops Member

Why don't you smoke lightly then?

13. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

I smoke cigars sometimes.

14. cyclops

cyclops Member

So you think for smoking to be a potentially good thing, it should not be inhaled?

15. squanch

squanch Member

Vaporizing tobacco (actual tobacco not those weird liquids) should be very safe and probably actually has some benefits in certain situations.
    Unfortunately vaporizing tobacco isn't really a thing yet in the same way that vaporizing cannabis is. Not sure why people don't just use regular cannabis vaporizers and vaporize tobacco in it. It either tastes like ass or tobacco companies don't like the idea because people would use a lot less tobacco this way.
    There's one tobacco vaporizer on the market that I know of, called "IQOS". You can't just put tobacco leaf in it though, you have to buy those special tobacco cartridges. Like I said, probably because they make more money this way or because it tastes better this way.

16. michael94

michael94 Member

I made a cup of tea from 1/4th a cigarette once and felt like I took a horse tranquilizer after drinking it. This tells me that brewing tobacco is an effective way to extract the nicotine. I find applying on the face and under the armpits ( probably because of pores/ blood flow ) is best for transdermal use.

17. Reaper242xx

Reaper242xx Member

Yeah that might work. I'm assuming you could also probably find a online retailer somewhere that sells organic tobacco as well.

18. Reaper242xx

Reaper242xx Member

Cannabis also increases cortisol. Which I always found paradoxical considering nearly everyone I know that uses it says it helps them relax lol. When in reality it's actually a stressor. I came from the pro legalization crowd so I can definitely tell you most of this "pro cannabis" science is mostly bro science. I still use it from time to time but nothing like I use to. Cannabis essential oil seems legit though, several cases of cancer been put into remission, similar results with seizures.

19. Prosper

Prosper Member

My uncle smoked pack a day and didn't die before 40. Can't be that harmful.

20. Mastodonhugger

Mastodonhugger Member

What about Chewing Tabaco? My dad stopped chewing and says it made him fat lol. How bad can it be?