Is Smelling Coffee Healthful?

Okay, it's time for the crazy question of the day! Does just smelling coffee offer any health benefits?

Since I was little I insisted my mom let me know when she was going to open a new can of coffee, and I would lean in and take some big wiffs. Loved it! I never tolerated actually drinking the coffee, but have enjoyed decaf on special occasions. Now I'm a rep for a coffee company, and I find myself squeezing the bags while inhaling the amazing aromas like every day. I have tried drinking it since I began Peating, but get acid reflux, even from organic decaf. I WILL be a drinker someday... another thing I'm working on.

It just hit me that I may be actually receiving health benefits from this. Anyone have any thoughts or commentaries?

Peata

I don't know, but I've always loved to sniff deeply when I open a fresh container of coffee too.

Diokine

Absolutely it does! Anything that feels good is generally eliciting a physiological response that is beneficial. Good smells, puppy dogs, sunshine, massages, etc., can have quantifiable effects on nervous system tone and are generally relaxing (which is very good in terms of bioenergetics!)

Vanillin-induced amelioration of depression-like behaviors in rats by modulating monoamine neurotransmitters in the brain.

Order of exposure to pleasant and unpleasant odors affects autonomic nervous system response.

Effects of odor on emotion, with implications

lindsay

Now I'm a rep for a coffee company
If you get free coffee as part of your job, I will gladly welcome it into my arms when you are done smelling it, LOL :) But I totally hear you - the smell of coffee is something truly special. I LOVE opening that bag of new beans and breathing in the delicious aroma!!

Regarding your intolerance of coffee, perhaps it would help to try espresso? I have been drinking coffee since I was in high school, but when I switched to home-brewed espresso, I will not go back to drip. I even go so far as to brew my coffee ahead of time and bring it with me if we are visiting my parents over night :grimacing: Crazy? Yes, but there's nothing like espresso. It's chocked full of magnesium in comparison to coffee (which means it actually calms me) and it's much smoother and less acidic. A tiny punch packed into an oz. serving of frothy goodness. I like to mix mine with a good amount of half and half, and sometimes I throw in a raw egg and blend for a delicious and nutritious snack :) Anyhow, I have high hopes for you that you will be able to have it one day!! But keep enjoying every moment of that smell in the meantime - if that doesn't raise dopamine, I don't know what would! Okay, now time to go smell a bag of coffee :)

Coffee can have some of the effects just through smell, I can't remember if in rats or mice.

Trix

Okay, it's time for the crazy question of the day! Does just smelling coffee offer any health benefits?

Since I was little I insisted my mom let me know when she was going to open a new can of coffee, and I would lean in and take some big wiffs. Loved it! I never tolerated actually drinking the coffee, but have enjoyed decaf on special occasions. Now I'm a rep for a coffee company, and I find myself squeezing the bags while inhaling the amazing aromas like every day. I have tried drinking it since I began Peating, but get acid reflux, even from organic decaf. I WILL be a drinker someday... another thing I'm working on.

It just hit me that I may be actually receiving health benefits from this. Anyone have any thoughts or commentaries?

I carry a coffee packet (from hotel) enclosed it a bandanna or a small bag in my purse, just for sniffing when I encounter a foul smell, perfume, cologne, chemical, hotel signature fragrances, etc. Coffee definitely neutralizes those offenders. Since I started taking high dose thiamine, I do not have to do it as often, but it sure has helped me overcome. Yes, the smell of coffee is the best.

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
Absolutely it does! Anything that feels good is generally eliciting a physiological response that is beneficial. Good smells, puppy dogs, sunshine, massages, etc., can have quantifiable effects on nervous system tone and are generally relaxing (which is very good in terms of bioenergetics!)

Vanillin-induced amelioration of depression-like behaviors in rats by modulating monoamine neurotransmitters in the brain.

Order of exposure to pleasant and unpleasant odors affects autonomic nervous system response.

Effects of odor on emotion, with implications

What a lovely positive response...something definitely needed on this cold snowy day (in WI). Good smells, puppy dogs, sunshine, massages...and a relaxed nervous system. Ahhhhhhh...:D:):p:cat::happy::headphone::joyful::kiss::playful::smuggrin::smug::shame:

FYI Vanillin is actually MSG. It's been in the news lately cause it's in Nutella and people are up in arms. I had seen this on labels and it sounds so innocent...like spices....or natural flavors...so I was disappointed to hear what it really was.

Thanks Diokine!

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
If you get free coffee as part of your job, I will gladly welcome it into my arms when you are done smelling it, LOL :) But I totally hear you - the smell of coffee is something truly special. I LOVE opening that bag of new beans and breathing in the delicious aroma!!

Regarding your intolerance of coffee, perhaps it would help to try espresso? I have been drinking coffee since I was in high school, but when I switched to home-brewed espresso, I will not go back to drip. I even go so far as to brew my coffee ahead of time and bring it with me if we are visiting my parents over night :grimacing: Crazy? Yes, but there's nothing like espresso. It's chocked full of magnesium in comparison to coffee (which means it actually calms me) and it's much smoother and less acidic. A tiny punch packed into an oz. serving of frothy goodness. I like to mix mine with a good amount of half and half, and sometimes I throw in a raw egg and blend for a delicious and nutritious snack :) Anyhow, I have high hopes for you that you will be able to have it one day!! But keep enjoying every moment of that smell in the meantime - if that doesn't raise dopamine, I don't know what would! Okay, now time to go smell a bag of coffee :)

LOL! Free coffee...I wish! Just free smells. :lol:

Thank you for the great suggestion of trying espresso! I would have never tried it seeing as how it's known to be so intense. But I'll give it a go. Frothy goodness...can't wait! More dopamine? Yes please. :lol:

Thanks Lindsay! This one's for you...:coffee(sorry it's not espresso lol)

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
I carry a coffee packet (from hotel) enclosed it a bandanna or a small bag in my purse, just for sniffing when I encounter a foul smell, perfume, cologne, chemical, hotel signature fragrances, etc. Coffee definitely neutralizes those offenders. Since I started taking high dose thiamine, I do not have to do it as often, but it sure has helped me overcome. Yes, the smell of coffee is the best.

I'm doing it! A few whiffs of someone's bad perfume or other offensive odors an it can set off my hyperventilating for the day. Thanks Trix!!!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals