Is Serotonin What Wakes You Up?

yerrag

I have no study to back me up here, so if you're asking for one, forget about it. I just thought I'd ask because I may or may not have stumbled into this connection. But it's a suspicion, and I had to ask. But it's not on a whim I ask, like I pulled this idea out of thin air.

I sometimes feel I could learn more from such discussions with intelligent and observant people who have some more useable knowledge than junkable myths inside them, who are used to connecting dots as part of their developed second nature, and who are as wise as they are skeptical of the icing atop the rotting carcass beneath that is as commonplace in this illusory world of propaganda and miseducation and mind control.

And this forum is the only place I can ask. And there are such discussions on this forum, and it has helped me to develop on this path.

This morning, I woke up early. I couldn't sleep anymore. I logged only 5 hours, and I woke up twice in between to urinate.

My urine was foamy as usual, but not frothy, which is good. But the foaminess is connected to oxidized albumin in urine, and the albumin is oxidized to protect my tissues from spillover ROS from the oxidative burst of phagocytosis, which is used by my immune system's phagocytes (neutrophils and macrophages) to kill off microbes and swallow toxins.

I suffer from high blood pressure because the lowered serum albumin (from it being heavily used and excreted) keeps my blood volume low, and higher bp is needed to compensate for the lower blood volume. But I can also say that I benefit from high bp, given that it is the body's way of adapting to low blood volume- so my organs are well nourished and its waste well excreted out.

I am now trying out a new supplement which purports to improve my capillaries, and I've used it for 3 weeks so far. I have about a week's supply left from a bottle that's good for a month. The first 10 days I used it, I noticed many things that would seem bad to a newbie to the confusing and vexing process of a body trying to heal.

My blood pressure increased further. I was waking up as much as once every hour to pee,and my urine was not only very foamy, but frothy as well. The spO2 chart of my sleep showed very frequent drops of spO2 that would often get much lower than 90 percent, and would at times, though very seldom, get to 70 percent. To a propagandized eye, I have sleep apnea. But according to my sleep software, I have mostly deep sleep, and I do not even snore. When I wake to urinate, I easily fall asleep afterwards, in a blink of an eye.

All this meant that the supplement was also bursting biofilm from my blood vessels, and the microbes or toxins released into the blood- they were causing all those 'bad vibes' I mentioned above.

Aside from the above, the worst vibe I got was that my neck started to get sore. For a few days, I wondered what that was about. I applied various kinds of ointment to no avail.

That's when I stopped taking the supplement. Close to giving up, I went for the Hail Mary pass. And I scored! At the end of my wits, I applied Cipro. And slowly, over 3 days, the pain slowly disappeared.

And that was when I realized I had my first known encounter with serotonin.And the serotonin wasn't from the gut, as Ray would usually talk about. As my gut is healthy as a fiddle.

My anecdote has not yet ended. But I'll let you digest this before I proceed. Someone please let me know if there's a soul interested in this, and then I'll proceed. Thanks.

Last edited:

lvysaur

What exactly makes you think this is serotonin related? What was the supplement you took?

I do think it's somewhat related, because of two experiences I've had:

1) Turkey/Chicken breast diarrhea. This is a common symptom when I eat these two things in large quantities. It does not happen with other meats, and I attribute this to higher glycine in other meats (since glycine "opposes" tryptophan). Serotonin causes diarrhea, so I assume this is "unopposed" (by glycine) excess tryptophan which is being turned into serotonin and giving me diarrhea.

2) About a decade ago, before going low PUFA/peat, I had two episodes within a week upon waking up. I'd wake up from a very vivid dream, and had to go to the bathroom. After sitting on the toilet, I had intense heart palpitations, sweats, and tremor and thought I was going to die. The feces was diarrhea. The symptoms resembled "serotonin storm". This happened twice that week, then never again, but it also happened again once last year, after a whole decade (though this time it was not after waking up, and the feces were solid).

OP
yerrag

yerrag

What exactly makes you think this is serotonin related? What was the supplement you took?
I took Cyproheptadine. And my neck pain went away slowly over 3 days. You may think it's coincidence and that it would have gone away even without me using Cyproheptadine.

But I went thru 3 days of pain that did not resolve trying out many ointments. All without any effect. It was when I applied Cyproheptadine that I quickly see the pain dissipate.

do think it's somewhat related, because of two experiences I've had:

1) Turkey/Chicken breast diarrhea. This is a common symptom when I eat these two things in large quantities. It does not happen with other meats, and I attribute this to higher glycine in other meats (since glycine "opposes" tryptophan). Serotonin causes diarrhea, so I assume this is "unopposed" (by glycine) excess tryptophan which is being turned into serotonin and giving me diarrhea.

2) About a decade ago, before going low PUFA/peat, I had two episodes within a week upon waking up. I'd wake up from a very vivid dream, and had to go to the bathroom. After sitting on the toilet, I had intense heart palpitations, sweats, and tremor and thought I was going to die. The feces was diarrhea. The symptoms resembled "serotonin storm". This happened twice that week, then never again, but it also happened again once last year, after a whole decade (though this time it was not after waking up, and the feces were solid
Thanks for backing me up on my suspicion, but I'm not able to see why you think my neck pain was serotonin-related. Your two experiences which you see as excess serotonin are manifested in areas that I don't doubt to be serotonin-related -in the gut.

The chicken and turkey connection to tryptophan and them being unopposed by glycine leading to more serotonin production is an example of good connecting the dots that I appreciate seeing. But I also wonder why they are making more serotonin and not niacinamide instead. Just curious and more food for thought.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

My story continues thanks to @Ivysaur

So here's the deal. Cyproheptadine helped me, no, it didn't help, it actually got rid of the pain on my neck and also a slight headache.

So, I resumed taking the supplement that I stopped taking. The supplement is called Endocalyx Pro.

But given what I experienced taking it, I added aspirin and Tovocit (to minimize inflammation) and ascorbic acid (which together with Tocovit serves as antioxidants). This lessened my frequency of urination at night, though urine was still foamy. But it helped that I wasn't anymore experiencing neck pains, so probably the aspirin, vitamin E and vitamin C were altogether reducing the production of serotonin.

A week or so passed, and I noticed that I've been waking up far too early at around 4 am and not being able to go back to sleep.

So I applied Cyproheptadine again. and I got back to sleep for 2 more hours.

Evidently, Cyproheptadine helped me sleep some more. This leads me to think that it's possible people as they get bolder accumulate a store of bacteria that leads to each night building up a load of serotonin that causes them to wake up too early and not.being able to go back to sleep. This could explain why it seems natural that as people get older they get to sleep less.

So @haidut do you think I'm onto something here? I think the bacteria load could either be from the gut or from the internal system ( i.e. the circulatory system and its network of blood vessels), or both.

It comes down to using Cyproheptadine as a silver bullet or to reducing the microbial load. I should note that reducing the microbial load internally is not a straightforward process, as it's filled with many gotchas. But I think it's worth the effort, if only for the prospect that this would keep one from succumbing to sepsis in later years.

GTW

It's usually thought that corticosteroid hormones wake you up. A rise precedes waking in diurnal cycle.