Is Serotonin An Upper Or A Downer?

tonto

(my first post, love the site!)

I found this article* a few months ago and thought others on this site would like it if it hasn't been shared before. Some highlight for me was the section on "the serotonin system and energy regulation", and the understanding by the authors that serotonin is closely linked to mitochondrial function. You can image a perceived stressor in the environment, and the serotonergic system directing energy resources to brain areas that need energy to respond to stress. Also, this paper gives a nice understanding for why it is practically impossible to measure serotonin in the CNS.

* "Is serotonin an upper or a downer? The evolution of the serotonergic system and its role in depression and the antidepressant response" in Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews 51 (2015) 164–188.

Tarmander

Thanks for posting. Haidut mentioned this on his last podcast with Danny, I had been looking forward to reading it.

haidut

Forum Supporter
(my first post, love the site!)

I found this article* a few months ago and thought others on this site would like it if it hasn't been shared before. Some highlight for me was the section on "the serotonin system and energy regulation", and the understanding by the authors that serotonin is closely linked to mitochondrial function. You can image a perceived stressor in the environment, and the serotonergic system directing energy resources to brain areas that need energy to respond to stress. Also, this paper gives a nice understanding for why it is practically impossible to measure serotonin in the CNS.

* "Is serotonin an upper or a downer? The evolution of the serotonergic system and its role in depression and the antidepressant response" in Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews 51 (2015) 164–188.

Thanks Tarmander. Btw we already posted this study in another thread, but I guess the more people see this the better.
Study confirms science behind serotonin and depression is backwards