Is Sea Salt Better Than Ordinary One? Good Brands?

G

gummybear

Is seasalt or mineral salt better than ordinary salt? Or is it just a hype?

pete

Check for added ingredients and source. Salt is after all a mineral deposit. Some underground deposits could be free of surface contaminants, but they can contain toxic elements, because something is natural doesn't mean it can't hurt you.

cliff

Pure salt without additives like canning salt or kosher cooking salt is preferable.

OP
G

gummybear

Great posts people, so what I hear is that normal salt is the best then? I have bought some diffrent salt, celtic sea salt, himalaya salt but I guess it's more of me falling for marketing ;)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The Morton Canning and Pickling Salt is the best option.

jj101

As other people have said canning salt is best as it has no impurities.

However from my experiences eating any type of salt is significantly better than eating no salt at all. Especially if most of your diet is liquid (Milk and OJ).

When I first tried eating ray peat at beginning of this year I had a mostly liquid diet with lots of sugar but no salt as I was waiting for my canning salt to be delivered. My body temp and pulse dropped like a stone and I felt terrible. I later found out this is because I left out salt. Once salt was back in my diet (up to 10000mg some days) my body temps and pulse rose very quickly and I felt a hell of a lot better.

If I am not able to hold of any canning salt, for example when I am travelling, I have found that white sea salt is the best alternative and any pink or colored salt is the worse.

Danny Roddy has also experienced this when starting a peat diet
http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2012/2/2 ... ature.html

Ray peat wrote an article on it if anyone wants a detailed analysis of salt.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/salt.shtml

OP
G

gummybear

jj101 said:
As other people have said canning salt is best as it has no impurities.

However from my experiences eating any type of salt is significantly better than eating no salt at all. Especially if most of your diet is liquid (Milk and OJ).

When I first tried eating ray peat at beginning of this year I had a mostly liquid diet with lots of sugar but no salt as I was waiting for my canning salt to be delivered. My body temp and pulse dropped like a stone and I felt terrible. I later found out this is because I left out salt. Once salt was back in my diet (up to 10000mg some days) my body temps and pulse rose very quickly and I felt a hell of a lot better.

If I am not able to hold of any canning salt, for example when I am travelling, I have found that white sea salt is the best alternative and any pink or colored salt is the worse.

Danny Roddy has also experienced this when starting a peat diet
http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2012/2/2 ... ature.html

Ray peat wrote an article on it if anyone wants a detailed analysis of salt.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/salt.shtml

Indeed. I feel alot better now when I have around a teaspoon of salt a day. Alot calmer.

peatarian

In Europe there is iodine and even fluoride in the salt in some countries. Be careful to avoid both!
I read in another thread that you used iodine and had heart and sleeping problems. I experienced the same a few years ago when I supplemented iodine to help my thyroid gland. Ray Peat advised me to stop using it (and zinc supplement) and I felt better immediately.

Hello, yes you are right in Europe most salt is iodized that's why I don't know what kind of salt to use.

I have a pack of salt without iodine, should I use this instead? How can I know I am getting enough iodine? I eat meat every day, some potatoes, a quart of milk, eggs, etc.

jyb

On that note, how do I know if my salt contains iodine? You mention that most salt is iodized in Europe. Here in the UK, the salt labels I've seen don't mention iodine. However, they mention anti-caking agents (sodium ferrocyanide).

All the salt sold in my country (Croatia) simply says "Iodized" right on the package, so I would assume if yours doesn't then it likely isn't iodized, but of course I can't be sure.

I've heard that too much iodine causes you to go hypo as well as too little, so I don't know which side I'm on but it seems from reading this topic that e.g. in the US most salt is not iodized, at least not sea salt. Since the situation is different here I'm not sure what to do.

jyb

MyUsernameHere said:
All the salt sold in my country (Croatia) simply says "Iodized" right on the package, so I would assume if yours doesn't then it likely isn't iodized, but of course I can't be sure.

I've heard that too much iodine causes you to go hypo as well as too little, so I don't know which side I'm on but it seems from reading this topic that e.g. in the US most salt is not iodized, at least not sea salt. Since the situation is different here I'm not sure what to do.

Enter your typical daily food at http://cronometer.com/ it will give you an idea of the amount of iodine you eat daily.

On a day when you eat iodine rich foods such as oysters, you have more than enough iodine. Then, I don't how much you'd need other days, I haven't read anywhere that there was a need to supplement iodine on a Peat diet.

peatarian

I'm sorry but I've read this to many times now: Ray Peat does not recommend sea salt. It's not refined and there are impurities in it. He recommends the refined white salt without iodine or fluoride.

I've only heard him recommend iodides once: If you have tuberculosis. And even then he just mentioned it is used in treating it not really said he'd do it. I was using iodine once and he recommended I stopped and used thyroid instead.

gretchen

I've been increasing salt a lot lately, taking several teaspoons a day. I put almost a tablespoon in my milk this morning and my temperature is up to 98.5. Unreal. :shock:

I also use the Morton's Canning Salt.

Dean

gretchen said:
I've been increasing salt a lot lately, taking several teaspoons a day. I put almost a tablespoon in my milk this morning and my temperature is up to 98.5. Unreal. :shock:

One whole tablespoon? :eek: Dang! I can stick four or five pinches of salt in a glass of oj but if I drink it too fast I get nauseous. I'd like to work my way up to getting a therapeutic level of salt. I saw someone mention here that they use 3 tablespoons a day. I guess that would be considered a therepeutic level?

gretchen

Dean said:
gretchen said:

One whole tablespoon? :eek: Dang! I can stick four or five pinches of salt in a glass of oj but if I drink it too fast I get nauseous. I'd like to work my way up to getting a therapeutic level of salt. I saw someone mention here that they use 3 tablespoons a day. I guess that would be considered a therepeutic level?

I started with a few pinches a day last summer. The larger doses seem to help me wake up earlier and easier due to lowering stress hormones. I don't think I could take 3 tablespoons a day, though. :?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Gretchen that is great! IIRC your temps usually run a lot lower?

Aspirin, salt, and thyroid are heat makers!

Birdie

I haven't read the other posts here but just searched for "salt" to report my experience.

Yesterday, I super craved salt. So, I had pinches all the time. And the result???
No having to get up to pee last night. hooray.

This was my experience when I first started following peat, and I was glad to not need to get up during the night.

Then, I began to cut back unconsciously on salt, toward the end of last year. And I started getting up at 4am to run for the toilet. Kept thinking, that I'd had this licked for most of last year and should take more salt.

But, you know how it is. At least for me, it is. I have lots on the mind. But yesterday I remembered the salt. I know some people eat lots of it.

I've heard Ray say just salt to taste though.

And everybody's different but I think I need a little more salt.