Is Rice Milk Ok?

ivy

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you have any thoughts on rice milk. Cow milk is making my elbows itchy, but I don't want to go back to black coffee... Most rice milk is sadly loaded with sunflower oil; however, I've found an Italian brand that seems safe:

Riso Scotti - Rice ChiccoLat

Flavourwise, it's absolutely wonderful. Nutritionwise, would rice oil be safe?

Tenacity

I think it's helpful to look at the ratio of saturated to unsaturated fat in these kinds of situations.

There's almost 5x as much unsaturated fat as saturated fat. I don't know how much of that is PUFA, but I've found when I'm not eating a lot of coconut oil that the ratio naturally comes to about 10x more saturated fat than polyunsaturated fat.

A little is probably safe, but I wouldn't make it a staple.

OP
ivy

ivy

I think it's helpful to look at the ratio of saturated to unsaturated fat in these kinds of situations.

There's almost 5x as much unsaturated fat as saturated fat. I don't know how much of that is PUFA, but I've found when I'm not eating a lot of coconut oil that the ratio naturally comes to about 10x more saturated fat than polyunsaturated fat.

A little is probably safe, but I wouldn't make it a staple.

Well, 100ml have 0,9g of lipids, 0,2g of which are saturated... So you're probably right.

What would a good ratio look like?

milk_lover

Nope, none. The ingredient list reads as follows: water, organic rice (16%), rice oil and salt.
I think Peat recommends milk mainly for the calcium as it is good for metabolism. If this milk has has Pufa and has no calcium and maybe has no the good type of protein and sugar that is usually present in normal milk, then I don't see any benefit of this type of milk unless you feel some kind of benefits from it.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Talk call it milk is an insult. Real milk has so much more than calcium.

Herbie

Not sure if you've tried doing coffee with sugar and a teaspoon of butter?

Butter is 80% fat so it might be more tolerable for the allergy.

OP
ivy

ivy

@milk_lover, I'm not expecting benefits from this rice beverage, I simply need something to replace milk with, so as to prevent instant, somewhat disturbing BM. I think I'll try powedered sheep milk, as sheep dairy never gave me any itch. I'm thinking of this product:

http://www.highwealddairy.co.uk/index.php?webpage=product_detail.php&product_id=31109&cID=12205

@BenjaminBullock, considering I have a hard time digesting fats, the thought of drinking coffee with that much added butter gives me the creeps. I've had coffee with a few drops of coconut oil, but I don't find it ideal.

milk_lover

@milk_lover, I'm not expecting benefits from this rice beverage, I simply need something to replace milk with, so as to prevent instant, somewhat disturbing BM. I think I'll try powedered sheep milk, as sheep dairy never gave me any itch. I'm thinking of this product:

http://www.highwealddairy.co.uk/index.php?webpage=product_detail.php&product_id=31109&cID=12205

@BenjaminBullock, considering I have a hard time digesting fats, the thought of drinking coffee with that much added butter gives me the creeps. I've had coffee with a few drops of coconut oil, but I don't find it ideal.
Well that sheep powder looks very promising and it shouldn't be too fattening as it is made from skimmed milk!

schultz

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you have any thoughts on rice milk. Cow milk is making my elbows itchy, but I don't want to go back to black coffee... Most rice milk is sadly loaded with sunflower oil; however, I've found an Italian brand that seems safe:

Riso Scotti - Rice ChiccoLat

Flavourwise, it's absolutely wonderful. Nutritionwise, would rice oil be safe?

Does the rice oil have the same 5-ar inhibition as brown rice? It is the bran portion of the rice that has the inhibitory effect and the oil is made from the bran.

Rice oil is 35% PUFA.

I think you could get away with some in your coffee, but I wouldn't drink a glass of the stuff.

You could also try making your own. It can't be that hard.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Does cream give you issues? Have you tried different types of milks - A2, A1, organic, raw. Goat's milk is easier to digest; more short and medium chain fatty acids compared to cow's milk. I think it is closer to human milk. Contains more calcium, vitamin A, B6, copper, selenium and potassium than cow's milk and there is camel milk if you can get it and afford it. Camel milk is lower in cholesterol but has more sodium for those of us that have problems trying to hold onto salt. It is slightly more salty tasting than cow's and normally children that have allergies to other milks are able to tolerate camel milk. Do they all give the same rxn? I thought coconut milk but sounds gross to me. Peat also mentioned that coconut milk can be problematic which is why he recommends refined coconut butter.

OP
ivy

ivy

Right now, I'm either having my coffee black at the end of the meal, with maybe a sprinkle of Ceylon cinnamon and sugar (and I do mean a sprinkle!), or mixing in a tablespoon of Greek yogurt, low fat variety. Coconut milk feels way too heavy and any floating fat in liquid, be it soup or coffee, has been a turn off for me ever since I can remember. Goat milk is hard to find in Western Europe; sheep and goat yogurt are available, even if expensive. As sheep is the milder of the two, I might give it a try.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals