Is religion the problem with U.S. politics?

mt_dreams

Blinkyrocket said:
All things that should likely (have) stay(ed) the same even without christianity, idk why people defend gay marriage, it's one of the reasons I'm leaving America. Controlling reality to fit individual views would be nice, but it just causes things to get worse, so instead I'm just getting the heck out of here.

In Europe, prior to Christianity, the Roman empire was in charge, and they were not exactly open to allowing the traits of the minorities to flourish. Plus they taxed the hell out of the regular class, further entrenching Europe into a 2 class mentality that we still suffer from today.

People defend gay marriage b/c their religion tells them to do so. The Muslim religion was very tolerate of homosexuality during the ottoman era, only recently have they've flipped their ideals. Even within Christianity, you see the Pope trying to lessen stranglehold the faith has to this particular ideal, but it's not easy.

I don't know where on earth you will be able to avoid the powerful controlling things to fit their ideals. I guess you could find a country that currently better fits your views, but all a country needs to flip the script is have one mad hatter show up to run the show for a bit. It's almost like the way France handled the shooting disaster. They unified under the premise of free speech, but then almost instantly squashed any speech that was against this, thus showing their true colors; That being whatever we do is correct, and you cannot go against the ruling parties ideals. Looks like a wolf in sheep's skin if you ask me.

jaa

johns74 said:
jaa said:
I agree we can know nothing about the nature of reality with 100% certainty. All we can do is assign probabilities to certain state

What's the probability that probabilities are part of reality?

:D

For an superintelligent omnipotent being, close to 0. For humans, close to 100.

Blinkyrocket

mt_dreams said:
Blinkyrocket said:
All things that should likely (have) stay(ed) the same even without christianity, idk why people defend gay marriage, it's one of the reasons I'm leaving America. Controlling reality to fit individual views would be nice, but it just causes things to get worse, so instead I'm just getting the heck out of here.

In Europe, prior to Christianity, the Roman empire was in charge, and they were not exactly open to allowing the traits of the minorities to flourish. Plus they taxed the hell out of the regular class, further entrenching Europe into a 2 class mentality that we still suffer from today.

People defend gay marriage b/c their religion tells them to do so. The Muslim religion was very tolerate of homosexuality during the ottoman era, only recently have they've flipped their ideals. Even within Christianity, you see the Pope trying to lessen stranglehold the faith has to this particular ideal, but it's not easy.

I don't know where on earth you will be able to avoid the powerful controlling things to fit their ideals. I guess you could find a country that currently better fits your views, but all a country needs to flip the script is have one mad hatter show up to run the show for a bit. It's almost like the way France handled the shooting disaster. They unified under the premise of free speech, but then almost instantly squashed any speech that was against this, thus showing their true colors; That being whatever we do is correct, and you cannot go against the ruling parties ideals. Looks like a wolf in sheep's skin if you ask me.
Well, I guess I'm leaving America for other reasons since it's just as easy to be ignorant here than anywhere else lol. Since were social creatures there is nowhere where there isn't a controlling power, there's just places that are prettier than America, like Thailand. I guess making something illegal or legal is besides the point, the problem is that I know about it and therefore can think about it :P thats the part I don't like.

kiran

pboy said:
while india was vegetarian and thousands of years more established and advanced in knowledge and hwo to conduct themselves as a society, didn't wage war, traded fairly, had actual spiritual teachers...which tought personal freedom and there was no rules or anything saying you must do this or follow that, it was full of beauty and harmony, color, the music was on a different level...

pboy, im not defending the british by any means, but really you truly have a utopian view of India. many so called spiritual teachers are really about shutting people down more than enlightening them.

kiran

Blinkyrocket said:

i dont know where youre planning on going, but i suggest you think hard about where and why. America is awesome in many ways.

Blinkyrocket

kiran said:
Blinkyrocket said:

i dont know where youre planning on going, but i suggest you think hard about where and why. America is awesome in many ways.
Phillipines, Japan, New Zealand or maybe Thailand but Thais aren't fond of foreigners apparently, and I don't think the Japanese are either. If anything, I'm leaving cuz the national debt problem is gonna sink America eventually. And then personal reasons in which I just don't feel like America is worth spending my time in. PLUS, my friend lives in China so I might actually live there until we go to college even though it's communist.

kiran

Blinkyrocket said:
Phillipines, Japan, New Zealand or maybe Thailand but Thais aren't fond of foreigners apparently, and I don't think the Japanese are either. If anything, I'm leaving cuz the national debt problem is gonna sink America eventually. And then personal reasons in which I just don't feel like America is worth spending my time in. PLUS, my friend lives in China so I might actually live there until we go to college even though it's communist.

thats awesome. just make sure you dont spend all your time in teh expat bubble and you'll learn a lot.

DaveFoster

tara said:
LucyL said:
burtlancast said:
No.
The real problem is that in reality, only one political party exists.

Recently deceased Stnley Monteith, Ed Griffin, Charlotte Iserbyt and others have proved convincingly both Republicans and Democrats agree in reality with just about everything ( if not in intentions, at least in concrete facts) and are playing a cynical game destined to fool people into believing there's a choice.

Religion is just a distraction.

This. :1
:1

And both of them well to the right/more imperialist in policy than the majority of the US population on many issues.
:1

It's all just a self-interest game.

answersfound

Trump would make the best president. Serious.

Back
Top Bottom