Is Ray Peat Even Healthy?

OP
Eric Yim

Eric Yim

Good question. I think for Peat a big part of his thyroid use comes from decades of living with a lower metabolism and feeling unwell. Him feeling weak and sickly is part of what got him passionate with nutrition in the beginning. By the late 70's he was already at least 40 years old, and 4 decades can really degrade the metabolism and make it weak. So he uses it to elevate his thyroid level to what he describes is a strong youthful metabolism.

Furthermore, using thyroid has numerous benefits, which are systemic. Many people who take it do so because they see improvements with few drawbacks. Of course there are causes for concern such as going into hyperthyroidism but even then we see many people feel not too bad even when in a hyper state. What I am trying to explain succinctly is that even a person in great health with a good metabolism, pulse around 70-80 and solid temps can benefit from thyroid hormone.
Good point... BUT, from what i have seen and read, not weight training and getting stronger basically ages you because you are more likely to break bones and get cancer if you don't do these types of activities regularly. Ray peat loves to point out the fact that an organism with a higher metabolism always outlives one with a lower metabolism when nutrient requirements are met. Weight training directly causes an increased need for nutrients via losing electrolytes and minerals through sweat, burning more calories, causing mircotrauma, etc.

Herbie

I am generalising here about the masses...

The problem with going to the gym and weight training is the bench press destroys the shoulder capsule (most vulnerable joint), the leg press destroys the knees, most of the body building exercises put shearing force on spine, wear out hip joints and cause unnecessary wear and tear on the body which could lessen wellbeing and longevity and buys BMWs for surgeons.

The joints are supposed to last the lifetime and many people getting shoulder reconstruction, knee reconstruction and spinal injuries in early 20s...

If you can bench press, deadlift and squat your own body weight which is not much if your not over weight is considered strong and anything beyond that is unnecessary.

The treadmill increases stress from EMF, the music in gyms is horrible, fluorescent lighting, the mirrors force people to look at what they are doing instead of feeling what they are doing, the hygiene in gym is disgusting.

The gym is an empty pursuit, like masterbating. Having sex is best exercise in my opinion, having children is good exercise, walking in nature, beach, riding a fast motor bike or horse, reading, building things like houses.

Rich Piana is an example of a man not feeling worthy of his fathers love and going to extremes to gain it, very sad and was sad to see him go, everyone said he had a big heart.

OP
Eric Yim

Eric Yim

The problem with going to the gym and weight training is the bench press destroys the shoulder capsule (most vulnerable joint), the leg press destroys the knees, most of the body building exercises put shearing force on spine, wear out hip joints and cause unnecessary wear and tear on the body which could lessen wellbeing and longevity and buys BMWs for surgeons.

The joints are supposed to last the lifetime and many people getting shoulder reconstruction, knee reconstruction and spinal injuries in early 20s...

If you can bench press, deadlift and squat your own body weight which is not much if your not over weight is considered strong and anything beyond that is unnecessary.

The treadmill increases stress from EMF, the music in gyms is horrible, fluorescent lighting, the mirrors force people to look at what they are doing instead of feeling what they are doing, the hygiene in gym is disgusting.

The gym is an empty pursuit, like masterbating. Having sex is best exercise in my opinion, having children is good exercise, walking in nature, beach, riding a fast motor bike or horse, reading, building things like houses.

Rich Piana is an example of a man not feeling worthy of his fathers love and going to extremes to gain it, very sad and was sad to see him go, everyone said he had a big heart.
Simple strength training with a barbell avoids all of those problems. The problem is in the form used. If you use terrible form the outcome will be terrible. Rich piana abused MASSSSIVE amounts of drugs.

sladerunner69

Do you have any literature to support your assertions about the bench press destroying the shoulder capsule, and the leg press destroying the knees? Personally I think a lot of people suffer from sub par joint health because they are never consuming gelatinous meat and very low calcium.

I will agree that the lighting and music in gyms is bad. And that treadmills are not ideal ways to burn calories, outside walks are largely superior save for the fact treadmills allow one to read. The biggest incentive for me going to the gym is actually social, it's a place to hang out with the buddies, chat with cute girls and maybe land a date. It's a nice respite from the reality of daily living, despite the increase in EMF's dangers (which has little in the way of empirical evidence btw)

Herbie

Simple strength training with a barbell avoids all of those problems. The problem is in the form used. If you use terrible form the outcome will be terrible. Rich piana abused MASSSSIVE amounts of drugs.

The shoulder capsule is wide open and vulnerable in the position with the bar and I said I addressed the masses who don't know what they are doing, not people in elite levels being coached by elite trainers. Most young guys going to the gym just jump on the bench press and don't have access to educated people and most personal trainers don't know this as they are not taught unless self studying. I don't know why you mentioned that that Rich took a massssive amount of drugs, its got nothing to do with what I said.

Do you have any literature to support your assertions about the bench press destroying the shoulder capsule, and the leg press destroying the knees? Personally I think a lot of people suffer from sub par joint health because they are never consuming gelatinous meat and very low calcium.

I will agree that the lighting and music in gyms is bad. And that treadmills are not ideal ways to burn calories, outside walks are largely superior save for the fact treadmills allow one to read. The biggest incentive for me going to the gym is actually social, it's a place to hang out with the buddies, chat with cute girls and maybe land a date. It's a nice respite from the reality of daily living, despite the increase in EMF's dangers (which has little in the way of empirical evidence btw)

I am more in favour of outdoor gyms that are free and the movements performed allow the body to move in which it does naturally.

Ray has said that a person will burn more calories walking in nature than a treadmill due to the complex environment of nature.

I spent 4 years in the fitness industry and studied at the CHEK Institute, worked with osteopaths, physios, strength coaches, I've got this big book on kinesiology by written by a surgeon but I can't remember the name and it came from that learning so I don't have any literature.

If one studies human bio mechanics they will begin to understand sheer forces and angles in which the machines at the gym for the joints to be in. I am a car mechanic before fitness industry and I already understood forces and systems of systems so it was easier for me to begin to understand the human body and how the gym is detrimental to it in a general sense for general people.

I did learn that some elite strength coaches in olympic athlete fields or football I cannot remember but they know that the leg press destroys the knees and takes a few years but they don't care because the lifetime of an athlete at those elite levels is relatively short lived and the leg press is an effective way of building mass in the quadriceps.

For the general masses this is not good because they are not athletes or making millions of dollars from their bodys.

We are not machines we are human beings living in a dynamic 3 dimensional world.

Badger

Good post, thanks!

RobertJM

depends, if the liver becomes congested due to cholesterol to protect from aas use supersaturating in the bile ducts then one becomes very poorly resistant to stress ( by the way this is why young people can get away with so much because the body is very efficient at locking away the accumulation of negativity efficiently ). Next step is slowly creeping increase in stress hormones as the poor kidneys are poisoned from chronic cholestasis and there starts to accumulate phosphate and calcium deposits first in less imprtant areas then later in critical arteries and then one is very susceptible to acute death to any major stress. of course with richard this all happened much faster ...of course I am oversimplifying for practical purposes dot dot dot

tyr roid and ster roids like oy sters are more appropriate for most situations, but aas will have there day also and it will not be like how most bodybuilders have desecrated them but rather something sacred, virility that is transcendent and non profane!

What are your tips for cleaning up a congested liver, Michael? Thanks, Bob.

B

Braveheart

:thumbsup:

Steve

The shoulder capsule is wide open and vulnerable in the position with the bar and I said I addressed the masses who don't know what they are doing, not people in elite levels being coached by elite trainers. Most young guys going to the gym just jump on the bench press and don't have access to educated people and most personal trainers don't know this as they are not taught unless self studying. I don't know why you mentioned that that Rich took a massssive amount of drugs, its got nothing to do with what I said.

I am more in favour of outdoor gyms that are free and the movements performed allow the body to move in which it does naturally.

Ray has said that a person will burn more calories walking in nature than a treadmill due to the complex environment of nature.

I spent 4 years in the fitness industry and studied at the CHEK Institute, worked with osteopaths, physios, strength coaches, I've got this big book on kinesiology by written by a surgeon but I can't remember the name and it came from that learning so I don't have any literature.

If one studies human bio mechanics they will begin to understand sheer forces and angles in which the machines at the gym for the joints to be in. I am a car mechanic before fitness industry and I already understood forces and systems of systems so it was easier for me to begin to understand the human body and how the gym is detrimental to it in a general sense for general people.

I did learn that some elite strength coaches in olympic athlete fields or football I cannot remember but they know that the leg press destroys the knees and takes a few years but they don't care because the lifetime of an athlete at those elite levels is relatively short lived and the leg press is an effective way of building mass in the quadriceps.

For the general masses this is not good because they are not athletes or making millions of dollars from their bodys.

We are not machines we are human beings living in a dynamic 3 dimensional world.
So what's a healthy way to build muscle? I have very weak legs for a guy, so I feel like I need to build some muscle. Squatting 100 lbs 10 times is probably near my max. I'm 6'2'', 189 lbs, so that's pretty weak. I have a squat rack/cage at home, but it does feel unhealthy for my joints doing the major exercises (specifically squats & bench press). Rows, deadlifts, overhead press feel ok. I just don't want to hurt my joints as I know what a bad back feels like & I've dislocated my kneecap in the past, so I know what that feels like. I'd prefer being able to walk vs having muscle, but I'd like to have both.

OP
Eric Yim

Eric Yim

Fixed plane machine are worthless garbage. When benching an arch and a retracted scapula is important for protecting the shoulder. Dude, it is sad you don't ackwowledge the barbell squat for gaining mass in legs. What were they teaching you in that school?

OP
Eric Yim

Eric Yim

So what's a healthy way to build muscle? I have very weak legs for a guy, so I feel like I need to build some muscle. Squatting 100 lbs 10 times is probably near my max. I'm 6'2'', 189 lbs, so that's pretty weak. I have a squat rack/cage at home, but it does feel unhealthy for my joints doing the major exercises (specifically squats & bench press). Rows, deadlifts, overhead press feel ok. I just don't want to hurt my joints as I know what a bad back feels like & I've dislocated my kneecap in the past, so I know what that feels like. I'd prefer being able to walk vs having muscle, but I'd like to have both.
Do twice as much posterior chain work at anterior chain work.

OP
Eric Yim

Eric Yim

I

F you are in fitness, how fit are you?

Jpkoepse

From an exercise standpoint regarding legs.. I'd really learn to squat with great form (We can talk about this if you'd like) . Make that the upmost priority. It's a skill. Then once that is mastered, slowly attempt to become stronger. A good squat form with a healthy diet should not cause any pain or long term damage.

Along with the correct "stimulus".. you'll need a diet that will allow growth as well. That means getting enough protein and enough calories. Assuming you are already eating pretty well and have been training for some time, you really have to gain scale weight to put on any kind of appreciable muscle. I've seen many people talk about trying to gain muscle, train hard but never gain a pound because they are not eating enough. Don't spin your wheels! Simply put, if you want to look like a 210 lb guy with some muscle mass.. you'll need to eat like one.

Herbie

Fixed plane machine are worthless garbage. When benching an arch and a retracted scapula is important for protecting the shoulder. Dude, it is sad you don't ackwowledge the barbell squat for gaining mass in legs. What were they teaching you in that school?

The scapula cannot retract fully due to the bench being in the way.

The vulnerability to the shoulder capsule is due to the elbow being far from the body, the closer the elbow is to the body the safer it is. The close grip dumbbell press with palms facing each other is safer for the general masses, I am not talking about elite circles or sport in strength training or doing it purely for bodybuilding sport because this is the ray peat forum and people here generally have a different motivations in life like wellbeing and longevity which is opposite of what the fitness industry is about.

michael94

What are your tips for cleaning up a congested liver, Michael? Thanks, Bob.
Clean your house literally and figuratively. In regards to what to take, know that the things which could be most effective are often potentially the most harmful if misused. So caution and common sense is advised. One thing I know for certain is that if you work earnestly for your health and dont ignore supposedly "unrelated" areas of your life then your instincts or inner voice will not lead you astray.

Risingfire

He was born on October 12, 1936 so he'll be 82 this year. If he made it to 82 and still has his brain function and can walk etc. and also avoided the top killers of heart disease and cancer up until that point then I would say yes he is healthy. I believe he's been taking thyroid hormone since the late 1970's so in my opinion a true Peatarian is someone who takes thyroid. Just eating for thyroid "metabolism" is not enough, if you want to be like him. Contrary to what a lot of people like to say about health and longevity nowadays, making it to his age is a good thing and should be appreciated. Centenarians are extremely rare. Most people don't make it to 82 never mind 82 in a functional state. I view Peat's lifestyle as something that worked for him as I do with any person who's laid out what they've done over the last few decades. You can take bits and pieces of what people have done and try it for yourself. You may not get the same results though which is why it's important to know what you're doing and have a good understanding of what health really is.
Peat only takes thyroid in the winter

Risingfire

Stairs

OP
Eric Yim

Eric Yim

No, concurrent periodization with squats and deadlifts. Meaning switching between rep ranges every few weeks. Basically a powerlifting template. So weeks 1-2 you start with 3×10@70%, then weeks 3-4 you do 3×8@75%, then weeks 5-6 you do 3×6@80%, then weeks 7-8, 3×5@85%. You test your max again after this cycle then restart with your new percentages.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals