Is Ray Peat Even Healthy?

sladerunner69

His dying at such a young age is most likely due to the use of recreational drugs and off label misuse of prescription medications more than it is due to his AAS abuse. Potentially also an insulin overdose, which is easily lethal.

I see the consequences of AAS and GH abuse everyday in my practice, and they do lead to chronic renal and liver disease, but to die at such a young age from such induced chronic diseases is extemely rare.

Acute AAS overdosing isn’t lethal. Acute aspirin overdosing is lethal. People need to start understanting this.

Well I never mentioned that I thought he died from an anabolic steroids (AAs?) overdose. Although I am quite certain that long term use of testosterone is NOT healthy, especially if one isn't taking steps to inhibit aromatase which will be very difficult if you are taking gigantic doses of test because it very easily aromatizes over to estrogen in excess quantities. as @haidut has posted about numerous times, estrogen has been demonstrated to be the root cause of enlarged heart, as well as enlarged liver and brain. So I am sure that steroid use played a role in his demise.

Other than that, just taking one look at the thing and you can't be surprised by his death or cause of it. He looks incredibly stressed, and like he's about to burst at any moment! I for one am surprised his heart didn't give out sooner.

michael94

depends, if the liver becomes congested due to cholesterol to protect from aas use supersaturating in the bile ducts then one becomes very poorly resistant to stress ( by the way this is why young people can get away with so much because the body is very efficient at locking away the accumulation of negativity efficiently ). Next step is slowly creeping increase in stress hormones as the poor kidneys are poisoned from chronic cholestasis and there starts to accumulate phosphate and calcium deposits first in less imprtant areas then later in critical arteries and then one is very susceptible to acute death to any major stress. of course with richard this all happened much faster ...of course I am oversimplifying for practical purposes dot dot dot

tyr roid and ster roids like oy sters are more appropriate for most situations, but aas will have there day also and it will not be like how most bodybuilders have desecrated them but rather something sacred, virility that is transcendent and non profane!

SOMO

His dying at such a young age is most likely due to the use of recreational drugs and off label misuse of prescription medications more than it is due to his AAS abuse. Potentially also an insulin overdose, which is easily lethal.

I see the consequences of AAS and GH abuse everyday in my practice, and they do lead to chronic renal and liver disease, but to die at such a young age from such induced chronic diseases is extemely rare.

Acute AAS overdosing isn’t lethal. Acute aspirin overdosing is lethal. People need to start understanting this.

He died of a heart attack while getting a haircut.

ilikecats

@Eric Yim who says he NEEDS to take thyroid? He doesn't "need' to drink coffee but he does it because its beneficial. I think Ray has a theoretical ideal state for the organisim in mind that can never truly be reached but great health can be achieved by pursuing it. Thyroid, coffee, progesterone ect... push the organism in that direction. And the dosage of thyroid he takes is relatively small and physiological. He's not relying on supplementaion for all his thyroid hormone the way some thyroid patients do (many will take enough to completely suppress their own thyroid production) ... the dosages he takes does not supress his own natural thyroid hormone production

Last edited:

Jpkoepse

He died of a heart attack while getting a haircut.
I believe the heart attack was drug related. The autopsy report is floating around on the internet. Was definatley an unhealthy guy.. but I think as mentioned previously, this is an extreme case. He was a known rec drug user... and that combined with the large amount of gear he used.. seems like a recipe for disaster.

DaveFoster

Indeed. Mr. Piana slurred his words in his more recent videos, probably evident of opioid abuse.

What are you saying?

That’s around the average life expectancy in most western countries

I'm saying I don't believe their data. I think it's a decade less when you factor in heart disease and cancer. Also, life "expectancy" is different than life quality.

SOMO

Piana is not a good example of an unhealthy bodybuilder. He was an extremist.

Regardless, his physical fitness and body are on point.
He looks like a caricature and embodiment of the high-T male.

I could have posted Bjornsson/Gregor Clegane instead, (who just won the World's Strongest Man title) but the original point still stands that RP is not a bodybuilder and probably doesn't want to be.

Fitness Goals =/= Health Goals =/= Personal Goals.

3 different things with only some overlap.

Tenacity

Regardless, his physical fitness and body are on point.
He looks like a caricature and embodiment of the high-T male.

I could have posted Bjornsson/Gregor Clegane instead, (who just won the World's Strongest Man title) but the original point still stands that RP is not a bodybuilder and probably doesn't want to be.

Fitness Goals =/= Health Goals =/= Personal Goals.

3 different things with only some overlap.

Nobody ever said that being a bodybuilder was an embodiment of perfect health, so it seems strange that you brought them up in the first place...

Peatful

Why would a healthy person need to take thyroid medication?
Peat has said that other cultures have sources of animal thyroid in their diet frequently; which is healthy. I think he is supplementing what he can not get from his diet.

none of us is in "good health" as some ideal. We all struggle and the organism runs down and the struggle becomes more difficult. This is true of everyone and every organism...

Tenacity

none of us is in "good health" as some ideal. We all struggle and the organism runs down and the struggle becomes more difficult. This is true of everyone and every organism...

'Health' itself is probably best quantified in the negative rather than the positive. Someone in good health struggles little. Someone in poor health struggles a lot. The goal should be to alleviate the struggle as much as possible, not to attain 'perfect' health. A perfectly healthy being is a god, and men are not gods.

I agree entirely.

Last edited:

Birdie

Excellent thoughts.

Birdie

'Health' itself is probably best quantified in the negative rather than the positive. Someone in good health struggles little. Someone in poor health struggles a lot. The goal should be to alleviate the struggle as much as possible, not to attain 'perfect' health. A perfectly healthy being is a god, and men are not gods.

I agree entirely.
Well, but I struggle (for myself and a few others) in the hope of getting past the poor health of the moment.
Sometimes you can't get past it certainly. Agree that the goal is not perfect health. What does it mean to alleviate the struggle?
That doesn't sound too good to me.

And that last sentence is great.

Peatful

This is true for the aged- because it certainly isn’t true when I look at my children.
My 10 year old is resilient, immune, strong digestion, healthy skin/hair, etc. The picture of good health.
“Youth is wasted on the young”-
Shaw

SOMO

Nobody ever said that being a bodybuilder was an embodiment of perfect health, so it seems strange that you brought them up in the first place...

Actually, I didn't bring up physical appearance. I think you glossed over the 2nd post in this topic, regarding Peat's physical appearance. Context is important:
I think his teeth almost fell outone time because of something he was trying. He earned every bit of his knowledge and thats why I respect him.

Also I didn't select Rich Piana to portray "perfect health" lol...I actually did the exact opposite (notice I wrote "DEAD" under Piana).
In case my view is unclear: Physical appearance is not always an indicator of health, that includes missing teeth.

Since you brought it up though...

Getting a six pack doesn't just "happen" unless someone is extremely low BF%. In the west, most of the time, getting a six-pack requires being consistent with one's diet and doing some abdominal exercises or a basic level of fitness (AND having hormones aligned in a way conducive to muscle growth, usually high T.)

So from a purely physical appearance aspect, Piana does "look" healthier than Peat. Except he wasn't.
But if I saw Peat on the street, I wouldn't necessarily think he looks super healthy or good for his age, but I WOULD think Piana looks like a top -Tier giga-male. Regardless of what you or I think constitutes health, a LOT of guys see Piana externally and would automatically assume his health is in check.

Perhaps I should have explained my photo comparison more.

Tenacity

Well, but I struggle (for myself and a few others) in the hope of getting past the poor health of the moment.
Sometimes you can't get past it certainly. Agree that the goal is not perfect health. What does it mean to alleviate the struggle?
That doesn't sound too good to me.

And that last sentence is great.

I guess if I were to write that post again, I'd say to alleviate suffering rather than struggling. We should all struggle to alleviate suffering, but the more we suffer, the harder it gets.

This is true for the aged- because it certainly isn’t true when I look at my children.
My 10 year old is resilient, immune, strong digestion, healthy skin/hair, etc. The picture of good health.
“Youth is wasted on the young”-
Shaw

I meant aging people.

TreasureVibe

Piana used PMMA injections just before his death I think, which are very dangerous according to medical experts.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals