Is Ray Peat Even Healthy?

Sobieski

To answer OP's question, yes I do believe Peat is healthy.
I know of few people who make it to their 80's without issues such as joint replacement, heart problems, obesity, hair loss, cancer, arthritis, osteoporosis; the list goes on. To my knowledge, Peat hasn't suffered any of these common problems associated with ageing and modern life. I'd say that makes him pretty healthy.

Secondly, look at his appearance. Superficially he shows signs of ageing, grey hair, wrinkles etc. But look closer. His skin is taut. His hair has volume and life to it (He's probably the only old man I've seen who's hair stands on end like that) and he has good youthful posture. His mind is also sharp.

If I thought that he wasn't healthy and he looked terrible I'd say so. But objectively he's in pretty good shape compared to most people his age.

G Forrest

Secondly, look at his appearance. Superficially he shows signs of ageing, grey hair, wrinkles etc. But look closer. His skin is taut. His hair has volume and life to it (He's probably the only old man I've seen who's hair stands on end like that) and he has good youthful posture. His mind is also sharp.

He is also noticeably free of age spots you normally see in people of his age.

The original question is a bit of a loaded one. To ask is 'Peat even healthy' is basically saying that Peat makes claims but are they even working for him? To be able to answer that you would need evidence, which other than gauging from pictures/video/audio/written text where we can surmise that he appears to be in generally good health, we can't know for certain. But even if he regularly shared his blood results, you would then have to determine what your definition of good health is. What Peat defines as good health sometimes runs contrary to mainstream ideals of good health. For example, Peat has said cholesterol above 220 can be protective, whereas allopathic medicine says above 220 is a risk factor.

So I don't think we can really answer the question, other than to assume that Peat is practicing what he preaches (which there is evidence in his email exchanges that he does), and if you believe his theories are sound, reasonable, and generally aligned with good health, than we can assume that he is probably in good health by his standards.

But the refreshing thing about Peat, at least for me, is that I don't get the impression he is trying to sell himself or provide any enlightened testimony (like you see from a lot of those internet celebrity gurus). I think he is looking at evidence, considering the information, and applying that knowledge. He often mentions the context in his email exchanges, which I think is always important to keep in mind. We don't know the whole picture of his particular life and experiences to know for certain. But what Peat can give us is very extensive research and analysis on topics of health, while encouraging us to also be thinkers to take control of our own health by applying the research to our own context.

haidut

Forum Supporter
To answer OP's question, yes I do believe Peat is healthy.
I know of few people who make it to their 80's without issues such as joint replacement, heart problems, obesity, hair loss, cancer, arthritis, osteoporosis; the list goes on. To my knowledge, Peat hasn't suffered any of these common problems associated with ageing and modern life. I'd say that makes him pretty healthy.

If I thought that he wasn't healthy and he looked terrible I'd say so. But objectively he's in pretty good shape compared to most people his age.

Actually, he said a few times he had melanomas and he recovered from them, which in my experience is even more impressive in regards to his ability to steer his health in the right direction. Not many people survive melanomas, regardless of their mainstream "treatment".

Sobieski

Actually, he said a few times he had melanomas and he recovered from them, which in my experience is even more impressive in regards to his ability to steer his health in the right direction. Not many people survive melanomas, regardless of their mainstream "treatment".
Wow, I didn't realise that. How did he treat them? I'm assuming they were a result of his residence in Mexico?

Luckytype

So I don't think we can really answer the question, other than to assume that Peat is practicing what he preaches (which there is evidence in his email exchanges that he does), and if you believe his theories are sound, reasonable, and generally aligned with good health, than we can assume that he is probably in good health by his standards.

But the refreshing thing about Peat, at least for me, is that I don't get the impression he is trying to sell himself or provide any enlightened testimony (like you see from a lot of those internet celebrity gurus). I think he is looking at evidence, considering the information, and applying that knowledge. He often mentions the context in his email exchanges, which I think is always important to keep in mind. We don't know the whole picture of his particular life and experiences to know for certain. But what Peat can give us is very extensive research and analysis on topics of health, while encouraging us to also be thinkers to take control of our own health by applying the research to our own context.

Exactly this - is it reasonable? I have always said this about anything.

Regarding Piana, I saw a little clip or something on his autopsy report. It was pretty much what you would expect from a guy using gear, and large amounts for a long time. Heart, liver, kidneys all affected. I saw something about maybe congested thyroid, some brain ischemia a few other things. The whole picture obviously didnt look good or maintainable but who knows.

He was a good contributor to the community where all the information around steroids was cloudy and not "out there". Obviously his take on fitness and his body was part of his branding but as I understand it he contributed quite a bit.

Regarding thyroid, I always thought that Ray just modifies the amount he wants to take bases on winter and his geography. I couldve sworn I heard that from audio but I could be mistaking the person.

sladerunner69

In, my opinion Ray Peat is definitely more healthy than most people. I'm 26 and I'm pretty sure he's healthier than me lol

However, he's now 82 years old now I believe so he cant is in "perfect health". Ray sees the aging process as a toxic phenomenon with similar effects to radiation and estrogen. So despite his best efforts, his health is slowly degrading, but unfortunately, there isn't much anyone can do about that.

The other thing is that there is PUFA in everything. So The PUFA will despite his best efforts will still start to add up in his fat tissue over time unless he has PUFA free lab synthesized food from somewhere.

A small amount of PUFA can actually be handled by the liver and metabolized without any oxidation. I think 5 grams per day is probably not any worse than 1 gram a day in terms of health, if you are getting adequate nutrient and keeping the metabolism high.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Wow, I didn't realise that. How did he treat them? I'm assuming they were a result of his residence in Mexico?

He mentions it in a few articles on his website. He said it was probably from him drinking beer, as hops is very estrogenic. I think progesterone/DHEA and thyroid was his main/only approach. Melanomas are not tied to sun exposure and tend to appear on spots that never see much sunlight. Squamous cell and basal cell carcinomas are the ones tied to UV light exposure and those are usually not very dangerous.

Sobieski

He mentions it in a few articles on his website. He said it was probably from him drinking beer, as hops is very estrogenic. I think progesterone/DHEA and thyroid was his main/only approach. Melanomas are not tied to sun exposure and tend to appear on spots that never see much sunlight. Squamous cell and basal cell carcinomas are the ones tied to UV light exposure and those are usually not very dangerous.

Thanks Haidut.

Energizer

A small amount of PUFA can actually be handled by the liver and metabolized without any oxidation. I think 5 grams per day is probably not any worse than 1 gram a day in terms of health, if you are getting adequate nutrient and keeping the metabolism high.

4g PUFA per day is the threshhold where cancers and other degenerative diseases start to appear so 5g per day would not be ideal if you were trying to avoid the degenerative diseases in the long term, I am not sure how much vitamin E supplementation could mitigate the damage but it would probably be better to be cautious in the first place (though of course eating 5g PUFA in a day on occasion probably wouldn't be a big deal).

https://raypeatforum.com/community/...turated-fats-east-west-healing-2011-pdf.1065/

Last edited:

Vileplume

Ray’s mental stamina is insane. He replies to countless emails everyday, still absorbs tons of information on contemporary issues indicating that he continues to read and integrate information better than the average college student, his memory is razor sharp down to the tiniest details, even those dating back to the 60s or even earlier. My grandma, also 85, calls me by my brother’s name.

mrchibbs

Ray’s mental stamina is insane. He replies to countless emails everyday, still absorbs tons of information on contemporary issues indicating that he continues to read and integrate information better than the average college student, his memory is razor sharp down to the tiniest details, even those dating back to the 60s or even earlier. My grandma, also 85, calls me by my brother’s name.

I shouldn't laugh, but I did.

lvysaur

That’s around the average life expectancy in most western countries
it's actually a bit higher, and you're also thinking of the both-gender life expectancy. It's always lower for males. So Peat is definitely above average by any metric.

pro marker

the most overlooked factor regarding the health of a person who practises what they preach:
95% of the time they havent been doing it their whole life. often times people dont figure out the diet they consider good untill they are 35+
this makes it very hard to gauge the health impact of a diet based on a nutritionist.

bogbody

This is so true. I’m constantly amazed by how sharp his mind is. His mental recall is practically encyclopedic and he is incredibly witty to boot. Meanwhile I can barely remember what I ate for lunch last week and my dude is twice my age.

depends, if the liver becomes congested due to cholesterol to protect from aas use supersaturating in the bile ducts then one becomes very poorly resistant to stress ( by the way this is why young people can get away with so much because the body is very efficient at locking away the accumulation of negativity efficiently ). Next step is slowly creeping increase in stress hormones as the poor kidneys are poisoned from chronic cholestasis and there starts to accumulate phosphate and calcium deposits first in less imprtant areas then later in critical arteries and then one is very susceptible to acute death to any major stress. of course with richard this all happened much faster ...of course I am oversimplifying for practical purposes dot dot dot
Very interesting. Do you think having a healthy liver is one of the main keys to good health? I'm inclined to believe so. My more severe health issues coincided with heavy alcohol use, which im assuming damaged my livers capacity to deal with toxins.