Is Pufa the Main Culprit?

mas

Is PUFA just one category in the thousands of endocrine disruptors, as they all do damage?

Re environmental estrogen disruptors also accumulate and have estrogenic effects in our adipose tissue of both PUFA and saturated fats:. (and my unanswered question as to how long these substances remain in our fat stores and how to deplete them to a lower level).

The medical profession is totally ignorant of the subject by not teaching toxicology to medical students and not including the subject in medical journals for practicing doctors.

Holistic medicine says “sweat it out in saunas, or go on juice fasts or whatever to remove these toxins. Is fat reduction in the body the answer? People do go to various Environmental Clinics which are very expensive.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2726844/

PCBs are a class of synthetic, persistent, lipophilic, halogenated aromatic compounds that were widely used in industrial and consumer products for decades before their production was banned in the late 1970s. PCBs were used in cutting oils, lubricants, and as electrical insulators. As a result of their extensive use and persistence, PCBs remain ubiquitous environmental contaminants. They are biologically concentrated and stored in human adipose tissue.

PCBs can bioaccumulate up the food chain. As a result of their persistence and ubiquity, measurable levels of serum PCBs are found in the majority of the U.S. general population (170). Serum levels of PCBs are an integrated measure of internal dose, reflecting exposure from all sources over the previous years; depending on the congener, the half-life of PCBs in the blood ranges from 1 to 10 or more years (171,172). Notably, there are 209 different possible chlorine substitutions on the biphenyl backbone of PCBs, with the resulting PCB molecules having different structural, functional, and toxicological properties

…the half-life of PCBs in the blood ranges from 1 to 10 or more years… (this PCB is just ONE of the tens of thousands of these injurious chemicals that are everywhere in our water, air, food, soil, etc.)

Trying to keep one’s fat stores in the body low would possibly help excrete chemicals.

The government is quite efficient when posting studies about all the horrific damage done by these numerous toxic chemicals, but proposals for a sane government policy regarding medical diagnostic, chemical regulation guidelines and clean-up is not imminent.

mostlylurking

Is PUFA just one category in the thousands of endocrine disruptors, as they all do damage?
Yes, I think PUFA is one of many endocrine disruptors. But PUFA does so much more than disrupt the endocrine system.

Ray Peat on fats and PUFA:

A new PUFA issue that I recently ran across is that PUFA depletes thiamine. Thiamine deficiency is a really big problem.
(and my unanswered question as to how long these substances remain in our fat stores and how to deplete them to a lower level).
It is my understanding from reading Ray Peat that it takes 4 years to deplete pufa, assuming you aren't overweight.

If your body is storing toxins in your fat, it isn't a good idea to work hard to lower body fat without first lowering your toxin load.

I think that the key to detoxing is to improve your oxidative metabolism so that your body's detox system can work efficiently. Thyroid function and also thiamine are key because both of these are necessary for oxidative metabolism to happen properly.
Is fat reduction in the body the answer?
No. Agressively reducing fat when toxins are in storage there would release the toxins into circulation. Taking niacinamide (low dose 90mg, 4Xday) helps to keep free fatty acids in the blood lower is helpful. I know that thiamine is very helpful if you have heavy metal toxicity; it actually chelates lead and it counteracts the symptoms of mercury. Thiamine is used to detox alcoholics too.