Is PUFA Hiding In Dairy Foods Now?

Cirion

"Adding seeds used to make canola oil into the diet of dairy cows helps reduce the amount of saturated fat in their milk, which could lead to dairy products with more healthy fatty acids and less bad fats, research shows."

Don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

But yeah, it's generally known that CAFO milk is more unsaturated than grass-fed milk. Don't know to what degree exactly though. I definitely react negatively to CAFO milk, this much is certain, but it could be any number of things. I now believe CAFO milk is simply not fit for human consumption and one should only have grassfed/raw milk or not even bother with milk at all.

lampofred

WTF? At this point, there's no way this is all just some big mistake. Some group of people must be deliberately trying to poison the world.

Cirion

I would say I miss real food, but never experienced it growing up either lol

paymanz

Hopefully cows convert most of it to sat sat and cla

Last edited:

schultz

This is an old topic, but... uggh...
Key to healthier milk: Canola oil for cows
Does anyone know if it is now a common practice among dairy farmers to make their cows' milkfat more unsaturated?

I read a lot of animal research related to chickens and ruminant animals (because I have such animals), and they are always trying to come up with ways to increase the amount of PUFA in animal products. It is mentioned a lot if you poke around the journals.

In ruminant animals they usually try to get the PUFA to pass undigested through the rumen so that biohudrogenation doesn't take place. They have come up with different ways on how to accomplish this. I think mostly this stuff is just experimental and not widely practiced, at least in commercial settings. Feed storage and shelf life is a consideration for farmers and high PUFA feed is known to go rancid quickly.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

I think mostly this stuff is just experimental and not widely practiced, at least in commercial settings.
Thanks @schultz !!
Glad to hear that you don't think it's widely practiced! But once they figure it out....
I guess the best way is to have a cow, man.

schultz

Thanks @schultz !!
Glad to hear that you don't think it's widely practiced! But once they figure it out....
I guess the best way is to have a cow, man.

There would need to be a good marketing program to go along with it, like when they were adding fish oil to a bunch of things and then putting it on the labels. I can't see them doing it just for "the good of the people" or something, unless it's cheaper or provides some special benefit to the animals. Maybe, who knows. Stranger things have happened.

schultz

This one is good. Fish oil in the water lol. They were hoping more would bypass the rumen, and therefore hydrogenation.

Effects of supplementing fish oil in the drinking water of dairy cows on production performance and milk fatty acid composition. - PubMed - NCBI
Effects of supplementing fish oil in the drinking water of dairy cows on production performance and milk fatty acid composition.
"Although it appears that the amount of FO added in the study did not bypass the rumen as hypothesized..."

Digestion, milk production and milk fatty acid profile of dairy cows fed flax hulls and infused with flax oil in the abomasum. - PubMed - NCBI
Digestion, milk production and milk fatty acid profile of dairy cows fed flax hulls and infused with flax oil in the abomasum.
"Independently of the basal diet, abomasal infusion of flax oil resulted in the lowest n-6:n-3 FA ratio in milk fat, suggesting that the most important factor for modification of milk FA profile was the amount of n-3 FA bypassing the rumen and not the amount of flax hull fed to dairy cows."

I wonder if that amount of flax oil getting into the cow would change the flavour of the milk? Those "omega 3" eggs taste like fish. I remember an old study from the 30's mentioning that chickens fed lots of flax seed had eggs that didn't taste good.

At my local feed store they mentioned to me that when people buy the "omega 3" feed for their chickens, the chickens have a tendency to not eat the flax seeds so there will be a bunch left over at the bottom of the feeder. Just thought that was interesting...

OP
S

shepherdgirl

There would need to be a good marketing program to go along with it, like when they were adding fish oil to a bunch of things and then putting it on the labels.
I agree with you. I can clearly picture it - their tubs of butter saying "NOW! MORE SPREADABLE!" "NOW LOWER IN SATURATED FAT!" "NOW MORE HEART HEALTHY!" After all, why not milk it? (bad pun, sorry!! :doh)
I know next to nothing about homogenization - wondering if it would work for unsaturated oil? Or would there be blobs of oil on the surface of the milk? I guess if they can emulsify Italian dressing they can do it for milk as well, but that would involve adding an emulsifier.

baron

A "high quality organic" milk brand that tastes funny and that I sometimes buy when my preferred milk is out of stock, now states on their site that they use organic canola oil along with legumes in the feed. This world is entirely gay.

baron

The only safe food left is stuff they aren't able to **** up due to the sheer force of natures will, to not poison said animals newborn offspring.

AlaskaJono

Someone told me 2 days ago (who has cows herself) that here in Australia they do commonly feed cottonseed to cows. I just looked it up, and yes, dairy and beef cattle are given WCS = White Cottonseed. Touted as a nutrient SuperFeed!!!
Also it is considered 'Drought Feed" for sheep/lambs.
Clown world.....

Example:

ThinPicking

We are being ordered for war. Eat the dirt if you have to.

Calorie restriction is gay. As is war.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals