Is protein powder (specifically whey or other) good or bad or neutral??

bluefish

I am usually including protein powder (1 or 2 scoops per day: 25-50 grams of protein) in my daily diet. I use whey protein powder, with the least amount of additives. It just occurred to me to ask peaty people or .. people w a deeper understanding of how things like this work, because I just assumed to it’s just fine to use and it’s nothing to really think about. I use it to get enough protein each day and it definitely helps.
I’m 6ft and currently about 180 pounds. I try to get about 120 (roughly) every day.

sunny

"Whey, which is sold as a protein supplement, and egg whites contain too much tryptophan and can be antithyroid if used excessively.” -Ray Peat, PhD

“For example, whey protein contains much more tryptophan than whole milk or cheese does, and would tend to suppress the thyroid and activate the whole serotonin-stress system. Whey might be good for fattening pigs, but its acceptance in the health food industry as a powdered protein supplement is just another example of the harmful effects of serotonin mythology.” -Ray Peat, PhD

Spartan300

Protein powders are generally not highly regarded here but I agree that they are a simple way of keeping protein intake up. I ditched whey a number of years back, casein would be more peaty preferred option, beef protein powder might be an option but you'll be guided to consider calcium/phosphate ratio.

I'm sometimes using pea protein with some glycine powder added.

Gelatin/collagen from natural sources will be the most highly recommended here

liam183

As long as it's grass fed, indentured, and free of artificial sweeteners I'd say it's ok. Just make sure you eat plenty of gelatin/collagen to balance it out