İs Potatoes Bad Food?

Coderr

Potatoes make me bad. Stomach bloating. Indigestion. Changes in stool. What do you think is the reason?

gaze

if they arnt extremely well cooked and your bowel transit time is slow, they can feed bad bacteria

Vileplume

For me, they started to cause bad bloating and gas after a few days of eating them. If they don't make you feel good, try other carb sources like fruit, maple syrup, and honey.

jet9

For me, they started to cause bad bloating and gas after a few days of eating them. If they don't make you feel good, try other carb sources like fruit, maple syrup, and honey.
I have exactly same relationship with potatoes/sweet potatoes/yuca/etc (basically starch) - i am fine eating them once every 3-4 days, anything more frequent result in worse mood/digestion/energy.

OP
C

Coderr

I have exactly same relationship with potatoes/sweet potatoes/yuca/etc (basically starch) - i am fine eating them once every 3-4 days, anything more frequent result in worse mood/digestion/energy.
See the same results as pasta and rice? Pasta is not a problem for me. But if the rice is not as much as the potato, I have a little problem

gaze

same here. Its really strange. Sometimes Il eat whole grain bread and feel good with a very solid bowel movement, so I get arrogant and start eating it every day and after a few days I get really constipated

tara

When I resumed eating potatoes after a break, I was gassy for a couple of days, then it settled down.
Some people find eating them with a good amount of saturated fat helps.
You could try smaller quantities for a few days to see if you can adapt, but if not, maybe find something else to eat.

ursidae

same here. Its really strange. Sometimes Il eat whole grain bread and feel good with a very solid bowel movement, so I get arrogant and start eating it every day and after a few days I get really constipated
For me personally it’s not arrogance but rather an inability to do anything in moderation. I find Peating attracts personalities who gravitate towards extreme diets and have an aversion to change and variety. Monotony reduces stress. If I could eat the same thing every day I would and that’s really the best way to become intolerant to foods. I and many here hate the idea of “a balanced and varied diet” but I’m willing to bet that is the answer for most (that do not have serious health issues, that is). It just seems underwhelming compared to cutting out most food groups and binging on fruit and dairy.

Last edited:

mujuro

I always get gassy and bloated when returning to potatoes, but it settles after a few days. It’s to be expected that when you introduce a new food in sufficient quantity, certain species will increase, and others will decrease, until your they strike equilibrium. The regular transit time I get from potato makes my waist feel very small. They are a staple for me. Whatever negative there may be from the starch, for me the regular bowel motion and the enormous potassium levels in potato is absolutely worth it.

TheLA5

I got heart palpitations after eating potatoes every time. Whats may be the cause? Low blood sugar?

Peater

I got heart palpitations after eating potatoes every time. Whats may be the cause? Low blood sugar?
They are high in potassium which is good but I wonder if you have enough salt to balance it out.

TheLA5

They are high in potassium which is good but I wonder if you have enough salt to balance it out.
I make potato chips and salt each slice. Besides, I only eat about 150g of potatoes in one serving, so it's not that much potassium.