Is Potassium Beta-Hydroxybutyrate safe to take?

Jon2547

I've been taking Potassium BHB for a few months now and it makes me feel good. But I was watching @haidut and @Hans in a recent show and heard just a tidbit about "beta hydroxybutyrate" and Georgi seems to be saying it is not good. Did I hear that correctly?
If so, what is the reasoning?

I think it's not a good idea, because of the B-OH-butyrate/acetoacetate ratio. The former is reduced, the latter is oxidized. The more reduced we are, the less electrons we can pull from food, therefore, the electron flow through the cell is weaker. Same thing with the lactate/ pyruvate ratio. Supplementing with anything in these ratios( NADH/NAD, lactate/ pyruvate, beta hydroxy butyrate/acetoacetate) would be a hindrance in terms of metabolism. Haidut's product, Pyrucet, capiatlizes on this opposition of reduced/ oxidized substrates.

OP
Jon2547

Jon2547

I think it's not a good idea, because of the B-OH-butyrate/acetoacetate ratio. The former is reduced, the latter is oxidized. The more reduced we are, the less electrons we can pull from food, therefore, the electron flow through the cell is weaker. Same thing with the lactate/ pyruvate ratio. Supplementing with anything in these ratios( NADH/NAD, lactate/ pyruvate, beta hydroxy butyrate/acetoacetate) would be a hindrance in terms of metabolism. Haidut's product, Pyrucet, capiatlizes on this opposition of reduced/ oxidized substrates.
I think I'm going to get some of that pyrucet and give it a shot. The way he describes what it does makes sense.