Is Peating About Preserving And Maintaining Youthfulness ?

johnwester130

The signs of youth are
low PUFA,
low iron,
low estrogen,
high DHEA, pregnenelone and progesterone etc ?

Fractality

Well - he has stated that an infant has perfect metabolism. I don't think one could get anymore youthful than an infant!

Pet Peeve

I've never thought anything else. The human body is made to last for 60-70 years on the standard diet with a bit more physical movement than is normal right now maybe. It's not long ago that people only lived to 30-40 years of age and it's like that still in certain parts of the world. Why go to something so peripheral as Peat if not to look and feel better than average (and live longer)?

Emstar1892

Just to clarify I don't think a sign of youth is LOW iron, but just not having HIGH iron. The anaemia look is pretty haggard :P

It depends on what you mean by 'youthfulness.' In terms of showing as few signs as possible of degredation, and experiencing the absolute minimal set of bodily symptoms, then yes. For me it's all about energy and metabolism, any external "youthful" appearance is a welcomed side effect.

thegiantess

I agree that babies have low iron, but it's not a good thing if it stays that way past 6 months of life. I think to strive for the metabolism of a baby is a good idea, but for the fact that babies need tons of iron. I have 2 babies (twins) and observing how they move, eat, their body temp, etc has been extremely interesting and enlightening.

tankasnowgod

I agree that babies have low iron, but it's not a good thing if it stays that way past 6 months of life. I think to strive for the metabolism of a baby is a good idea, but for the fact that babies need tons of iron. I have 2 babies (twins) and observing how they move, eat, their body temp, etc has been extremely interesting and enlightening.

Newborns actually have very high iron. However, they "grow" into it, since they are growing at a very rapid rate. Iron stores are lowest in the teen years. Men generally start accumulating iron at that point, but women's iron stores will generally remain low til menopause.

Parsifal

I think Peat said that by studying biology he hasn't food yet a mechanism for explaning that death is normal which probably means that we can live really long as long as we maintain a good metabolism. He dismisses the Hayflick limit.

thegiantess

Newborns actually have very high iron. However, they "grow" into it, since they are growing at a very rapid rate. Iron stores are lowest in the teen years. Men generally start accumulating iron at that point, but women's iron stores will generally remain low til menopause.
Right. High iron, but is depleted or very low by 6 months. Pediatricians commonly check iron levels at every appt these days for babies and toddlers. Point being. Low iron isn't always good.

michael94

Peat also said a fetus can repair damage without scarring! :)
75245e59f2.png

dd99

I was thinking of this quote from KMUD Herb Doctors - Altitude July 2013 :
Ray Peat said:
And scar formation too - the developing fetus is practically resistant to forming scars - only at a later stage when it’s being exposed to environmental fats, that the Mother eats, will it form a scar - but healing is ordinarily scarless in the early foetus and it’s the thing that’s causing loss of CO2 mostly that inhibit the phagocytes that should clean up the collagen excess

The short answer is yes. The long answer is that life is (at least in large part) about maintaining physical youthfulness. Getting old means getting sick. Getting sick from aging means a permanently lower quality of life:(.

I've heard it argued (I forget the name of the philosopher) that most humans try to spend their entire lives in denial of their own mortality. So basically they spend each waking minute numbing themselves with every imaginable distraction so as not to have to face this painful truth.

Yeah, aging sucks.