Is Peat wrong on fructose?

hunchoz

Lol. Absolutes are funny. What kind of fiber? Soluble? Insoluble? A mix of both? How much fiber in relation to sugar and in what context? And to whom?
fruits mostly. But adding pectin to jelly seems to work well. sugarcane and sugar beets in there whole forms are high fiber. sugar was always meant to be eaten with fiber.

Last edited:

mrchibbs

I agree, but do you know how to fix this problem?

I myself have to eat starch, because I feel sick if I eat a critical amount of sugar. I don't know if I have NAFLD

Don't force yourself to eat a certain amount sugar if you don't feel great with it. Try to find sources which agree with you? Maybe certain fruits, cooking them can help etc.

Starch has other sets of problems but if you feel better with it, and are eating it with good fats, then go ahead.

mrchibbs

Sugar without Fiber is poison. Refined Sugar is poison .

It was shown in the 1850s that simply adding refined sugar to the diets of terminally ill diabetic patients could cure their diabetes. Hardly a poison.

hunchoz

It was shown in the 1850s that simply adding refined sugar to the diets of terminally ill diabetic patients could cure their diabetes. Hardly a poison.
???? There are studies that show that saturated fat is bad for you also. Even though its not. All that matters is personal experiences .

mrchibbs

???? There are studies that show that saturated fat is bad for you also. Even though its not. All that matters is personal experiences .

What I'm referring to is precisely case studies of real individuals.

What I'm referring to is precisely case studies of real individuals.
Yup, William Budd from England and M. Piorry from France used to advocate for concentrated sugar, as white sugar and honey, in cases of wasting. From Glucose and sucrose for diabetes. :

"In 1857, M. Piorry in Paris and William Budd in Bristol, England, reasoned that if a patient was losing a pound of sugar every day in 10 liters of urine, and was losing weight very rapidly, and had an intense craving for sugar, it would be reasonable to replace some of the lost sugar, simply because the quick weight loss of diabetes invariably led to death. Keeping patients from eating what they craved seemed both cruel and futile.

After Budd's detailed reports of a woman's progressive recovery over a period of several weeks when he prescribed 8 ounces of sugar every day, along with a normal diet including beef and beef broth, a London physician, Thomas Williams, wrote sarcastically about Budd's metaphysical ideas, and reported his own trial of a diet that he described as similar to Budd's. But after two or three days he decided his patients were getting worse, and stopped the experiment.

Williams' publication was presented as a scientific refutation of Budd's deluded homeopathic ideas, but Budd hadn't explained his experiment as anything more than an attempt to slow the patient's death from wasting which was sure to be the result of losing so much sugar in the urine. The following year Budd described another patient, a young man who had become too weak to work and who was losing weight at an extreme rate. Budd's prescription included 8 ounces of white sugar and 4 ounces of honey every day, and again, instead of increasing the amount of glucose in the urine, the amount decreased quickly as the patient began eating almost as much sugar as was being lost initially, and then as the loss of sugar in the urine decreased, the patient gained weight and recovered his strength."

mrchibbs

Thanks for finding the quotes! @Rafael Lao Wai

Incidentally, I tried this idea with my father, and he no longer needs diabetes medication.

SOMO

On the one hand, monkeys eat a lot of fruits and do not have NAFLD. The same is the fruitarian. On the other hand, many people have actually cured their livers simply by giving up sugar. There are even people on this forum who have not eaten PUFA for many years, but they have NAFLD. I think there is more to it. Maybe phosphates or Vit. A. I know a senior citizen who always stays at home and eats tons of sugar. He has no problem. If the problem was in excess calories(did Ray really say such nonsense?), He would have had a bunch of diseases for a long time, lol

If someone is truly overeating sugar, which increases liver AND BODY FAT, and they cut their sugar intake, the expected result would be that their livers lose fat and begin working better. But this still doesn't mean that sugar causes NAFLD.

Also HFCS has recently been shown to be DIFFERENT to Fructose, even though the corn industry has lied for years now telling us it is the same as fructose or regular sugar or honey. HFCS has been associated with NAFLD in fact, and this association is probably true.

Why do you doubt Excess Calories can cause illness? Excess calories = increased body fat = reduction in Randle Cycle = reduction in metabolism = disease.

SOMO

Sugar without Fiber is poison. Refined Sugar is poison .

No, it's really not because we have disaccharide enzymes meant specifically to digest sucrose. Fiber often interrupts these enzymes and so undigested-sucrose enters the large intestine where "bad bacteria" feed on it and cause gas and overgrowth.

Also any refined food removes the B-Vitamins needed to metabolize that food, so that is the only bad thing about the refining process. But if someone's diet is nutritionally adequate with regards to B-Vitamins overall, white sugar would not cause harm.

hunchoz

No, it's really not because we have disaccharide enzymes meant specifically to digest sucrose. Fiber often interrupts these enzymes and so undigested-sucrose enters the large intestine where "bad bacteria" feed on it and cause gas and overgrowth.

Also any refined food removes the B-Vitamins needed to metabolize that food, so that is the only bad thing about the refining process. But if someone's diet is nutritionally adequate with regards to B-Vitamins overall, white sugar would not cause harm.
B Vitamins can mean anything. Which 1 specifically .

mrchibbs

Thanks for finding the quotes! @Rafael Lao Wai

Incidentally, I tried this idea with my father, and he no longer needs diabetes medication.
You're welcome, chibbs.

That's impressive about your father! Probably involved lower cortisol, since the body didn't have to use stress hormones to get the sugar from lean tissue now that it was getting exogenous carbs. Did he take any vitamins along with the sugar therapy?

mrchibbs

You're welcome, chibbs.

That's impressive about your father! Probably involved lower cortisol, since the body didn't have to use stress hormones to get the sugar from lean tissue now that it was getting exogenous carbs. Did he take any vitamins along with the sugar therapy?

To be frank, it hasn't been just sugar. He fixed his vitamin D levels and he took cyproheptadine at first, which helped get out of the stress/cortisol cycle.

Regarding vitamins, no he didn't take them, but I've been thinking about getting him some B complex. He probably needs some especially since he doesn't really eat liver. He does eat shellfish (mussels, shrimps etc.) regularly along with plenty of eggs, so that's a decent supply of B vitamins.

To be frank, it hasn't been just sugar. He fixed his vitamin D levels and he took cyproheptadine at first, which helped get out of the stress/cortisol cycle.

Regarding vitamins, no he didn't take them, but I've been thinking about getting him some B complex. He probably needs some especially since he doesn't really eat liver. He does eat shellfish (mussels, shrimps etc.) regularly along with plenty of eggs, so that's a decent supply of B vitamins.
I see. In light of people getting better just by eating sugar, I'm sure the extra carbs contributed to some extent.

mrchibbs

I see. In light of people getting better just by eating sugar, I'm sure the extra carbs contributed to some extent.

Oh for sure. I had to explain why restricting sugar was a bad idea, but since then, he's feeling much better by indulging in sugar whenever he craves it.

salvio

Most of the well-done human studies showed that fruit consumption, including juice, can actually improve insulin sensitivity and metabolic syndrome. It doesn't fatten the liver. Low copper and high iron can cause elevated trigs and cholesterol. A higher fructose diet may require more copper.
Can you show us some of these studies?

schultz

Refined Sugar is poison

lol. I guess I'll be dead soon.

Can you show us some references about?

Sugar and Diabetes: Dr. William Budd

This article discusses it a bit. The lady was 64 pounds upon admission it seems. It says...

"But here we have a diabetic patient eating from five to eight ounces of sugar daily, and not only rallying from a stage of the disease which Dr. Prout describes as being all but irretrievable, but adding in a little more than a month a full seventh part to her weight, and becoming the while (what perhaps is most extraordinary of all) gradually less diabetic."

You could argue it was something else that helped her improve, but obviously 5-8 ounces of sugar didn't make this 64lbs diabetic woman worse; Indeed, it seems it made her better. Modern medicine would find this inconceivable.

I had a thought as well: They used cane sugar. How refined was sugar back in the 1850's? Would there be traces of policosanol?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals