Is Peat Eating an "Art"? If so, what kind?

narouz

Some have expressed the view that
eating in a Peatian way
is an "art"
or maybe
"more of an art than a science"
or
"an art based on science."

I just wanted to explore those possible denotations
and possible attached connotations and implications
a little more carefully.

So here is a definition of "art" from Merriam-Webster

Definition of Art
Art
noun

1 [mass noun] the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power: the art of the Renaissance great art is concerned with moral imperfections she studied art in Paris
works produced by human creative skill and imagination: his collection of modern art [as modifier]: an art critic
creative activity resulting in the production of paintings, drawings, or sculpture: she’s good at art

2 (the arts) the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance: the visual arts [in singular]: the art of photography

3 (arts) subjects of study primarily concerned with human creativity and social life, such as languages, literature, and history (as contrasted with scientific or technical subjects): the belief that the arts and sciences were incompatible the Faculty of Arts

4 a skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice: the art of conversation
It would seem that definition #4 is the most likely one that some posters have in mind?
I would be happy to be corrected,
or to hear other definitions that any feel are more apt for this context.

But starting with definition #4:
"a skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice: the art of conversation"

So if someone says that "doing a Peat diet is an art,"
and has something like definition #4 in mind,
what they mean is much like asserting that "conversation is an art."

In other words, it is something one learns to do through practice.
And I guess there is the implication that this would require some time,
since practice takes time,
and might require some trial and error--
since those too are part of practice.

So the use of this particular definition of art
is not a large or grand claim, I would say.
It is not a claim that implies, for instance,
that we Peat eaters are Artists...is it?
At least not in the way that that kind of statement is usually intended, right?
And it does not imply anything special or extraordinary,
about powers of imagination or intuition, say...does it?
If we say that someone is a musical Artist or a painting Artist or whatever,
that usually implies a special gift of intuition or imagination.
But if some here say that "Peat eating is an art,"
they do not mean to invoke those kinds of special intuition or imagination, right?

I am comfortable with that more humble, 4th kind of meaning for "art"
when used in the context, here on this board,
of "Peat eating is an art,"
or "Peat eating is an art based on science."

Is this how everyone interprets the claim?
Just checking. :)

kiran

Peat eating is exercising a long dormant instinct. It's like a bird stretching it's wings for the very first time.

OP
N

narouz

kiran said:
Peat eating is exercising a long dormant instinct. It's like a bird stretching it's wings for the very first time.

I have to say, kiran, that's kinda artistic. :eek:

Isadora

I think it is the most related to #1: "creative activity resulting in the production of paintings, drawings, or sculpture" - only the end product is a superior metabolism that optimizes one's genetic make-up and produces a human being with a maximized potential who is fully aware of his/her responsiveness to the environment and enjoys interacting with it to the highest possible degree. Possibly, in such a state, one's genes sing new, never discovered tunes and superior evolutionary harmony is touched. One's body becomes a work of one's art to which one is the first and foremost audience and critic, and one's fellow men can only benefit from the association and enjoyment of life next to someone so enlightened and enlightening. Turning a dwindling metabolism into fireworks must be the work of an artist, an artist of life. It takes a lot of research and fine tuning and painstaking observations and studies and trials and errors, but once someone succeeds, life and what life has to offer become so intense that art as defined in the first definition, "resulting in the production of paintings, etc." becomes a necessity for self-expression.

Speaking of art, does anyone know if Peat sells his paintings? :)

pboy

in my opinion, growing food, human/animal connection, human/plant connection, environmental harmony, social and economical harmony, and ultimately
human interaction, the art and love put into preparing food, the savoring/chewing of food, and the mind/body/heart connection are all related and the highest form
of art there is! It seems Ray Peat is a really heartfelt person in touch with his own soul...seems like he found his own personal joy then found a bunch of science to back up his intuition/pursuit of happiness

OP
N

narouz

frustrated said:
Eating is an art -- I don't see why it needs to specific to "Peat Eating".

I agree.
Now, in the case of the typical modern cuisines and their preparation
the art could be unhealthy.
(Or, more accurately, I should say that eating the results of that art could be unhealthy.)
But I agree with the application of the term in many instances.

It could be that some have attained to the level of "art" in their Peating.
But I generally think that limited definition, as noted at the outset,
is pertinent in the context of "Peat Eating is An Art."

Depends how you define "art."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals