Is Omega-3 Fish Oil Bad?

M

member 6316

hey I see a few posts of people saying PUFA (Polyunsaturated fatty acids) is bad? so this includes omega-3 also? if yes that is weird becuase it goes against everything I have read about it.

MrSmart

It's good in as much as it competes with omega-6 fatty acids in their metabolism.

It's also essential. And much more sparse in diets compared to linolenic acid.

It’s very bad but it sometimes does good things in the short run by suppressing inflammation.

Kartoffel

It’s very bad but it sometimes does good things in the short run by suppressing inflammation.

That's true, but that doesn't make it essential. To my knowledge no experiment has demonstrated it's essentiality, and it's essential status is mostly based on it's theoretical role in theoretical membrane structures. The human studies supposedly showing it's beneficial role in some rare disorders, in which it (DHA) is thought to be lacking, are worse than most highschool science projects.

I would avoid it religiously. Just saying that people find short term benefit which makes the fish oil fad evil. The long term are cancer. It is very carcinogenic.

MrSmart

That's true, but that doesn't make it essential. To my knowledge no experiment has demonstrated it's essentiality, and it's essential status is mostly based on it's theoretical role in theoretical membrane structures. The human studies supposedly showing it's beneficial role in some rare disorders, in which it (DHA) is thought to be lacking, are worse than most highschool science projects.

Do you disagree that fats in the diet are not essential in the mammalian population or only humans?

Kartoffel

Do you disagree that fats in the diet are not essential in the mammalian population or only humans?

The mammalian population is pretty big. Some whales that are exposed to very cold temperatures for long periods of time might require some PUFA. I am saying that no experiment has demonstrated any essentiality for any mammals to this date, and that I don't know of any fundamental cellular mechanisms that would make them essential. I am open to beeing convinced otherwise, but that would require some sound scientific evidence/reference.

Aaron

This is a double negative. And assuming they are actually "essential" and not just coined as such, which there isn't any good evidence to suggest, we would get enough from the 5-8% conversion from plants as well as from the amounts found in eggs, red meat, etc. An omega 3 or omega 6 deficiency is diagnosed by low levels found in the body, and pretty much all of the lay-science literature recommending high omega 3 intake is basing that recommendation on the fact that omega 3's are found in cell membranes and in brain tissue. It's the same type of faulty hypothesis as the idea that we should avoid dietary cholesterol because cholesterol is found in arterial plaques.

That being said, I believe fish oil can have temporary benefits which seem mostly attributable to its immunosuppressant properties. Things like inflammation are brought about by our immune systems to prevent further injury and prevent damage, and fish oil can prevent that immune response from spiraling out of control, but only temporarily. Pretty much the only application for fish oil I would consider is for preventing further deterioration after a brain injury, but there are also probably better treatments (certain SERM's and steroids for example).

Last edited:

MrSmart

This is a double negative.

Yes, it is. It's also a binary question.

And assuming they are actually "essential" and not just coined as such, which there isn't any good evidence to suggest, we would get enough from the 5-8% conversion from plants as well as from the amounts found in eggs, red meat, etc.

Now you've switched the argument from essentiality to supplementation.

The mammalian population is pretty big. Some whales that are exposed to very cold temperatures for long periods of time might require some PUFA. I am saying that no experiment has demonstrated any essentiality for any mammals to this date, and that I don't know of any fundamental cellular mechanisms that would make them essential. I am open to beeing convinced otherwise, but that would require some sound scientific evidence/reference.

I believe this was already covered in another thread.

Aaron

Re
Now you've switched the argument from essentiality to supplementation.

Right. Because you implied that supplementation would be a good idea due to the essential nature of them in your first comment, and in the context of higher linoleic acid intake. Outside of that context, I argue that there is no need to try to get additional omega 3. I am ambivalent about whether or not they are essential so I wouldn't argue that one way or the other.

MrSmart

Re

Right. Because you implied that supplementation would be a good idea due to the essential nature of them in your first comment, and in the context of higher linoleic acid intake. Outside of that context, I argue that there is no need to try to get additional omega 3. I am ambivalent about whether or not they are essential so I wouldn't argue that one way or the other.

My stance was simple, in the absence of excess dietary ꞷ-6 fatty acids, and the occasional fish or adequate ɑ-linoleic acid, supplementation is unnecessary.

Also, it might be a good idea to take Vitamin E and some lecithin with it.

Aaron

My stance was simple, in the absence of excess dietary ꞷ-6 fatty acids, and the occasional fish or adequate ɑ-linoleic acid, supplementation is unnecessary.

Also, it might be a good idea to take Vitamin E and some lecithin with it.

Got it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals