Is Nitazoxanide Safe As An Antimicrobial Drug?

Amazoniac

Members that don't mind being catechized as long as the religious art is great,
Any of you have more information on the safety of this drug?
(It's sold over-the-counter, and people take it without any worry.)

Nitazoxanide - Wikipedia

Trade names: Alinia, Nizonide, and others

"Nitazoxanide is a broad-spectrum antiparasitic and broad-spectrum antiviral drug that is used in medicine for the treatment of various helminthic, protozoal, and viral infections.[4][5][6] It is indicated for the treatment of infection by Cryptosporidium parvum and Giardia lamblia in immunocompetent individuals and has been repurposed for the treatment of influenza.[1][6] Nitazoxanide has also been shown to have in vitro antiparasitic activity and clinical treatment efficacy for infections caused by other protozoa and helminths;[4][7] emerging evidence suggests that it possesses efficacy in treating a number of viral infections as well.[6]

Chemically, nitazoxanide is the prototype member of the thiazolides, a class of drugs which are synthetic nitrothiazolyl-salicylamide derivatives with antiparasitic and antiviral activity.[4][6][8] Tizoxanide, an active metabolite of nitazoxanide in humans, is also an antiparasitic drug of the thiazolide class.[4][9]"

--
http://medind.nic.in/maa/t11/i1/maat11i1p67.pdf

ReSTART

"Chemically, nitazoxanide is the prototype member of the thiazolides, a class of drugs which are synthetic nitrothiazolyl-salicylamide derivatives with antiparasitic and antiviral activity"

"Salicylamide (o-hydroxybenzamide or amide of salicyl) is a non-prescription drug with analgesic and antipyretic properties. Its medicinal uses are similar to those of aspirin"

Interesting.

GAF

Alinia Prices
This Alinia price guide is based on using the Drugs.com discount card which is accepted at most U.S. pharmacies. The cost for Alinia oral powder for reconstitution (100 mg/5 mL) is around $553 for a supply of 60 milliliters, depending on the pharmacy you visit. Prices are for cash paying customers only and are not valid with insurance plans.

TubZy

Doesn't seem too bad from where I ordered my thyroid from..I linked it if you scroll down you can see the prices

Meds.com.mx

Obi-wan

What is interesting is all of the anti parasite drugs work in a similar fashion on cancer. Microtubule disruption, P53 activation, and glucose inhibitor. And they WORK. Repurposing these drugs as anticancer agents has caused massive price hikes on some of the "soles" Fenbendazole is still easy to obtain since it is marketed as a canine dewormer like Panacur c. $15 for a box of 3-1 gram packets taken 3 days on/4 days off. Starting my 4th week this Sunday.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Alinia Prices
This Alinia price guide is based on using the Drugs.com discount card which is accepted at most U.S. pharmacies. The cost for Alinia oral powder for reconstitution (100 mg/5 mL) is around $553 for a supply of 60 milliliters, depending on the pharmacy you visit. Prices are for cash paying customers only and are not valid with insurance plans.
That's a joke. Where I live it's solded over-the-counter, a generic option costs less than $7.00 for 6x 500 mg (tablet), so it's like no more than $3 for that same amount.

aliml

The unintended mitochondrial uncoupling effects of the FDA-approved anti-helminth drug nitazoxanide mitigates experimental parkinsonism in mice​

Mitochondria play a primary role in the pathophysiology of Parkinson's disease (PD), and small molecules that counteract the initial stages of disease may offer therapeutic benefit. In this regard, we have examined whether the off-target effects of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)–approved anti-helminth drug nitazoxanide (NTZ) on mitochondrial respiration could possess any therapeutic potential for PD. Results indicate that MPP+-induced loss in oxygen consumption rate (OCR) and ATP production by mitochondria were ameliorated by NTZ in real time by virtue of its mild uncoupling effect. Pretreatment of cells with NTZ mitigated MPP+-induced loss in mitochondrial OCR and reactive oxygen species (ROS). Similarly, addition of NTZ to cells pretreated with MPP+ could reverse block in mitochondrial OCR and reactive oxygen species induced by MPP+ in real time. The observed effects of NTZ were found to be transient and reversible as removal of NTZ from incubation medium restored the mitochondrial respiration to that of controls. Apoptosis induced by MPP+ was ameliorated by NTZ in a dose-dependent manner. In vivo results demonstrated that oral administration of NTZ (50 mg/kg == 4.05 mg/kg in humans) in an acute MPTP mouse model of PD conferred significant protection against the loss of tyrosine hydroxylase (TH)-positive neurons of substantia nigra. Based on the above observations we believe that repurposing of NTZ for PD may offer therapeutic benefit.

Back
Top Bottom