Is My Laminate Linoleum Flooring Making Me Ill?

DMF

Perhaps it's NOT the flu I've had and currently "having" for the fourth time since moving into my current place one year ago which came with new laminate flooring. It's cold out and I believe the heating system is literally cooking the flooring which in turn is giving off..... well, I'm not sure but something - that in turn is giving me sore throats - headaches - bronchial issues.
Could a test be done on the apartment? On me - what would a doc do?

Spud

Unlikely a heater would put out enough heat to cook anything. In a year, the flooring should have offgassed by now. You can always get a VOC detector to see if there are any volatiles in the air though.

schultz

What kind of floor is it? I assume you don't mean it's true linoleum (linseed oil + cork), so I originally assumed you meant vinyl flooring, which most people call linoleum (including myself). Your title also says 'laminate' though, so I am now confused. Is it a faux wood laminate flooring? That could give off formaldehyde most likely.

OP
D

DMF

The flooring is dark brown wood-look-a-like I'm sure made of something synthetic - vinyl undoubtedly.
VOC detector - where/how do I get my hands on one of these?
But It's this weird heating system they got here in this high-rise I've never had before. It's somehow built into the flooring - not a radiator or anything that could be seen.
Whatever the floor would be it'd still get "cooked".

Spud

Can rent a good voc defector or buy one off the internet that may be a bit less accurate. If the heater heats the floor, it should have offgassed any formaldehyde by now. Formaldehyde is quite irritating though so you would know if it was that.
Sorry to state the obvious but can you just not run the heater?

Javalon

Forum Supporter
This is a bummer to have happen to you! I had something similar happen in a workspace. At first, I thought it was all in my head. No.... the remodeled workspace (floor, paint, counters) were off-gassing VOC's. I remedied the issue with an air rector called HiTech. Pricey but effective. I had a HiTech Air Reactor at home for mold issues. Please take care of yourself! I have read that we all ingest enough plastic to make 2o credit cards a week! We need a Peatie Planet once again!

OP
D

DMF

We do not have thermostats - whatever the building does/sets. It gets too hot so I crack the windows - so it's hot and cold and contaminated all at once!
It's a highrise and i'm told I should call a city inspector which will make building management not too pleased with me - same if I talk to building engineer - so I'm screwed all the way. City inspector could take a bribe so I gotta get one of those VOC contraptions on my own but don't know where to begin and probably too $$expensive.

nwo2012

Move somewhere else, if you lose your health then you'll lose everything. Money can be reattained relatively easily, health not so