is my diet right?

yoshiesque

Hey everyone,

I been trying this peat diet thing but not sure if im doing it right. Please refer to link below to see my meals. You may have to specifically go to Wednesday 10/01/2014 to see a full plan. it only allows for 6 meals so its not divided correctly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ ... 2014-10-01

The issue I do have is that im drinking mainly lactose free milk. Is this really a problem? I am so far drinking 2x half cup normal milk throughout the day, and about 3-4 lactose free milk. i figured i would drink lactose free milk and as normal milk consumption goes up, lactose free milk will go down. is that okay?

any other comments on diet? to be honest my heart rate is still low. it lingers around 65-70. usually its low as 60. I personally dont see orange juice bringing up heart rate. The combination of milk, 3teaspoons sugar, salt, gelatin does seem to jack it up a bit more though.

Mittir

cronometer.com is free and gives a more detail info on nutrients and
easier to see ratios. Protein looks too high,especially if you are not very
active and hypothyroid. RP thinks a hypothyroid person should limit
protein intake between 80-100 grams. Tryptophan, cysteine and methionine
are anti-thyroid. Gelatine does not have these problems. I am not sure
if 40 grams of gelatine is enough to balance all the other source of protein.

RP mentioned that it usually takes long time to raise pulse but can quickly raise
temperature. If you are feeling better in other ways then pulse of 65 should not be
a concern. I am not sure if you are eating carrot salad with other foods or
separate from foods. a good carrot salad can quickly
alleviate lot of health issues and bring hormonal balance quickly.
Carrot eaten with other foods can increase carotene absorption.
Cooked bamboo shoots are good too. Gut irritation is the major source of
most health issues . Serotonin from gut irritation and endotoxin from starch
and soluble fiber can cause lots of health issues including lowering thyroid function
and increasing estrogen, cortisol, prostaglandins etc.
It is hard to trust store bought foods. You will need to experiment with food to figure
out if those are causing problems or not. There is some pectin even in pulp free
OJ. If you have bad composition of bacteria it can cause problem.

Do you measure your pulse and temp 1-2 hours after breakfast?
How is your temperature? Are you having restful sleep?
I see sleep quality as major indicator of my thyroid status.
Are you getting weekly liver and seafood? I am not sure if RP recommends
tuna. Fish develops histamine very quickly after its death, it is important
to have fresh seafood. You can experiment with chicken neck soup or
fish head soup to see how body reacts to natural thyroid from foods.
RP mentioned shrimps, osyter, crabs have some thyroid.

What kind of supplements are you taking? If you have big storage of
PUFA then you will need vitamin E and some form of free fatty acid inhibitors
( Niacinamide or Aspirin) to block pufa release.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

Im not exercising at the momemt but im not sure if im hypothyroid. I have never been officially diagnosed. However recently in my last tests I have found my T4 to be at higher end of range and T3 to be at lower end of range.

I have not been checking my temperature but I will from now on. According to Danny Roddy, we should check under arm temperature for best results, is this true?

I have been eating carrot salad (grated carrot, coconut oil & braggs apple cider vinegar) on its own, 30 minutes before a meal. I might increase it to 2 carrot salads a day.

So far I have been diagnosed with IBS. From experimentation it seems that I dont really have any intolerances (besides lactose) and that my IBS is really stress induced. So lack of sleep, excess stress triggers IBS issues. I was diagnosed last year after going through some traumatic stress.

My sleep quality is not the best. Also this diet makes me wake up to go to the bathroom a few times in the night. Too many liquids!

Ill stop the fish, but is fresh frozen cod okay to eat few times a week? Its mainly to get my selenium up.

Supplements I am taking are Vitamin E, Niacin (2x500mg), vit B complex, curcumin, CoQ10, magnesium, and a vitamin A&D mix extracted from cod liver oil. I stopped aspirin as i think it is responsible for my recent abnormal Liver test (I had slightly raised GGT).

Im careful of messing with liver as I have Familial hypercholesterolemia and already VERY high cholesterol levels (from eating way too many animal fats and butter in the past).

Ill look into getting some chicken neck for soup - but doesnt this contain PUFA?

Also, THANK YOU for such a in depth response!

Mittir

High T4 and low T3 usually indicate hypothyroidism. RP thinks in healthy person
total T3 should be above normal range. I have seen in studies 135 is average T3 in
people without thyroid problem. I use that as reference.

RP recommends oral or ear drum measurement. He thinks underarm measurement
is unreliable if there is extra fat there. 30 minutes seems too early, 2 hour is good
and i try to keep it at least 1 hour from meal. I drink a cup of juice and let
it digested for 30 minutes and eat the salad and wait another hour to eat meals.

I used to think my sleep problem was causing digestive issues. Then when digestion
was fixed my sleep got fixed too. Weak digestion is a sign of hypothyroidism.
OJ can be problematic for IBS due to it's pectin and acidity. You can try apple juice
instead of OJ for few days to see what happens. You may need to add baking soda
to apple juice to neutralize the acidity.

Extra sodium/salt helps with managing fluid intake. But excess salt can cause
digestive problem and baking soda is easier on gut.

I know fish developes histamine very quickly. I can only tolerate fresh fish.
Histamine can worsens IBS problem.

What is your total cholesterol? High cholesterol is another symptom of low thyroid.
Low T3 and vitamin A lowers conversion of cholesterol to progesterone,
pregenolone, DHEA etc. RP thinks cholesterol is protective. Current range of normal
cholesterol is flawed.

Hypothyroid people can not handle too much liquid. You can lower your fluid intake
by replacing some of the milk with cottage cheese, farmer's cheese or greek yogurt.

RP also warns against allergic problem from impurities in commercial supplement.
Your niacinamide looks too high. RP thinks 50-100 mg with meals two times a day
shows benefit of lowered free fatty acid. If you do not store glycogen properly
excess niacinamide can cause problems like low blood sugar, sleep disturbance etc.
RP thinks folic acid and riboflavin in supplements can be very allergenic.
What kind of magnesium are you using? He has concerns about commercial magnesium
and recommends magnesium glycinate and magnesium carbonate, but mag carbonate can
cause gut irritation. Decaff coffee is a good source of magnesium.
RP does not recommend cod liver oil for its high PUFA content.
You can look up how much PUFA is there in each serving.
Beef, lamb or chicken liver are good source of vitamin A.
Commercial vitamin A can be quite allergenic..

Gut irritation is one of the major cause of hormonal imbalance.
I think main focus should be on eating easy to digest food than
to achieve vitamin and mineral RDA. If your gut is not happy then
vitamins and minerals can not do much.

Edit: RP recommends most of the protein be eaten during day time as
digestion is weakened after sunset. Carb and fat mostly after sunset.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

My digestive issues started July last year, when certain events in my life caused a very high stress load on me. Immediately following that, I had diarrhea regardless of what I ate. After ALOT of experimenting, I came to realize that it was stress related. At this time my T4 was very high and T3 was in the higher end of normal range. It recently declined (I suspect from eating junk + really poor sleep/stress)

I have been a poor sleeper for many years before this. Really its my own fault for sleeping late, watching tv etc. So I am fixing that up now.

Orange juice honestly seems fine. I get no reactions and I manage to drink 1L of it a day.

My LDL cholesterol level was 220 but this was only after i switched from a paleo (it was high protein, low carb & low fat) to the GAPS diet (high saturated fat, high protein & low carb) for 2-3 months. Before that my cholesterol was around 100. I have read from Chris Kresser that this can be an indicator of Familial hypercholesterolemia and my mum certainly has this. Basically our body produces half the Lipid removing receptors than normal, so LDL removal is slower. After I switched from GAPS diet to a high protein, low fat (no saturated) and moderate carb, it went back to normal. But it is on the rise again as I ate alot of fatty meats recently.

This is the Vit A&D supplement i take:
http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-A-D-2 ... Gels/14442

It doesnt tell you how much PUFA, and I suspect its because there is essentially none. Its not Cod Liver Oil, but rather vitamin A & D extracted FROM CLO.

Mittir

That vitamin A and D supplement looks good. Based on the size of capsule there
should not be much PUFA from safflower oil. RP thinks hypothyroid people
needs about 5,000 IU of vitamin A daily and excess vitamin A can lower
thyroid function. A capsule should cover vitamin A requirement for 5 days.

Criss Kesser is not a good source of scientific information. He is just an
acupuncturist who is a self trained researcher. I do not know how do they
diagnose Familial hypercholesterolemia just by looking at cholesterol number.
RP goes by total cholesterol. Total cholesterol of 250 is not that bad.
He cites a study that showed older people with cholesterol level above
280 has higher longevity. RP does not believe in cholesterol causing heart disease.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

My total cholesterol was 305 during that high period. Chris Kresser stated that if you test it properly and see that saturated fat consumption causes your cholesterol to sky rocket, then it is a reliable indicator of FH. Provided that other issues such as hypothyroidism, copper deficiency and gut disorders are clear. Otherwise its a gene test for 100% guarantee.

I never believed in the cholesterol thing either, but thats because there was evidence showing that saturated fat doesnt increase cholesterol by much. However I need to be 100% sure with my case as I do not want to risk it. The basic rationale behind it is that people with FH have LDL cholesterol particles lingering around for ages, so they eventually oxidize and cause damage.

I am starting to agree with you on Chris Kresser. I use to swear by him but I moved to Ray Peat once I came across Danny Roddy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals