Is My Cortisol Too Low?

M

marikay

Hi.

Thanks to the generous and brilliant intellects on this site, I have managed to bring my cortisol levels down significantly (at least I think I have, as my symptoms are going away big time).

Alas, there seems to be a new problem in that my knuckles and toe joints seem to be inflamed. (Knuckles nearest my fingertips are the most painful right now.)

Is it possible that my cortisol levels are too low now? And is there something I can increase in order to make the swelling of the joints go down. Or do I need to let the cortisol levels come up a little bit?

Sorry that I don't have blood tests to share. If you have some thoughts on this pop-up problem, I'd really appreciate reading them. I'm female, 55, and keep to a Peaty diet with only an occasional cheat (cinnamon rolls:) I take Novotiral and a little BSP T3 a couple of times a day. Been using a tiny bit of DHEA (less than 5mgs) and that's pretty much it.

Makrosky

Yeah, cortisol is antiinflammatory. Remember even bad things are there for a reason. Trying to compensate something. So it's possible that if you artificially lowered cortisol with drugs or a lot of sugar/salt, then you are left with the inflammation, whose root was not in high cortisol but in something else.

This is just an hypothesis. You can try taking some aspirin or ibuprofen and see if it makes the inflammation go away, then you know it's indeed inflammation and not something else. It could be hypothyroid but since you're already taking thyroid hormones then I think it's not. Assuming you don't have other hypo symptoms.

OP
M

marikay

Yeah, cortisol is antiinflammatory. Remember even bad things are there for a reason. Trying to compensate something. So it's possible that if you artificially lowered cortisol with drugs or a lot of sugar/salt, then you are left with the inflammation, whose root was not in high cortisol but in something else.

This is just an hypothesis. You can try taking some aspirin or ibuprofen and see if it makes the inflammation go away, then you know it's indeed inflammation and not something else. It could be hypothyroid but since you're already taking thyroid hormones then I think it's not. Assuming you don't have other hypo symptoms.

Thanks for this. I'll try the aspirin. Wondering though what to do about the inflammation if that is it. I was thinking maybe more salt, because I am sweating more now that it is summer. But not sure...

Peater Piper

Can you actually see swelling in the joints? How's your digestion? An inflamed tummy can lead to inflammation elsewhere. Are you eating a lot of organ meat and shellfish? They can raise uric acid levels in some people.

Makrosky

Can you actually see swelling in the joints? How's your digestion? An inflamed tummy can lead to inflammation elsewhere. Are you eating a lot of organ meat and shellfish? They can raise uric acid levels in some people.
Yeah I thought about uric acid as well but it looks more like inflammation from what she says.

OP
M

marikay

Thanks for replying. I can see some swelling in the joints closest to my fingertips and they are slightly painful to the touch. Knuckles on my thumbs also painful (though the pain is not horrible). Digestion pretty good. Better in fact than before my cortisol lowering effort. Tummy not inflamed. No organ meat and very little shellfish lately (at least since the symptoms started). I'm beginning to think it might be the DHEA even though I am only taking a tiny amount. Don't want to stop the DHEA as that seems to have been the silver bullet to my high cortisol especially at night. (Am taking the DHEA in the morning.)

Thanks again. Cheers.

OP
M

marikay

Yeah I thought about uric acid as well but it looks more like inflammation from what she says.

Now that I think of it, I have been able to increase my protein intake (thanks to the dhea increasing my appetite). Most of the increase has been through milk and cheese which I assumed was safe. Maybe I increased the protein too fast (from 60 grams to 85 grams in a matter of days). Perhaps that is the clue I was looking for. Any ideas on how to increase the protein without the inflammation? Thanks.

Makrosky

Thanks for replying. I can see some swelling in the joints closest to my fingertips and they are slightly painful to the touch. Knuckles on my thumbs also painful (though the pain is not horrible). Digestion pretty good. Better in fact than before my cortisol lowering effort. Tummy not inflamed. No organ meat and very little shellfish lately (at least since the symptoms started). I'm beginning to think it might be the DHEA even though I am only taking a tiny amount. Don't want to stop the DHEA as that seems to have been the silver bullet to my high cortisol especially at night. (Am taking the DHEA in the morning.)

Thanks again. Cheers.

I think with tummy he meant inflammed gut/intestines, you know, the SIBO, endotoxin and stuff. Not the external part of the tummy.

Glycine is anti inflammatory, you can try that. Although is weak. I think aspirin is a good thing to try.

Makrosky

Now that I think of it, I have been able to increase my protein intake (thanks to the dhea increasing my appetite). Most of the increase has been through milk and cheese which I assumed was safe. Maybe I increased the protein too fast (from 60 grams to 85 grams in a matter of days). Perhaps that is the clue I was looking for. Any ideas on how to increase the protein without the inflammation? Thanks.
I think milk and cheese protein doesn't raise uric acid too much ? Hey! and hold on... do not correlate your high protein intake with the inflammation yet...

OP
M

marikay

I think with tummy he meant inflammed gut/intestines, you know, the SIBO, endotoxin and stuff. Not the external part of the tummy.

Glycine is anti inflammatory, you can try that. Although is weak. I think aspirin is a good thing to try.

thanks. i did understand that he meant gut/intestines, but that is going swimmingly right now so i don't think that is the problem, but maybe….

the glycine is a great idea. i have problems with gelatin because of the arginine, but i might try it tonight anyway..

and i'm about to pop an aspirin and see what happens.. cheers.

Peater Piper

Some people can't tolerate a lot of dairy, but since your intestines feel fine I'm doubtful that's the problem. Let us know how the aspirin works.

OP
M

marikay

I think milk and cheese protein doesn't raise uric acid too much ? Hey! and hold on... do not correlate your high protein intake with the inflammation yet...

You're right of course. I just don't want to face that it might be the dhea lowering the cortisol too much. I'll try the aspirin and see what happens.

OP
M

marikay

Some people can't tolerate a lot of dairy, but since your intestines feel fine I'm doubtful that's the problem. Let us know how the aspirin works.

Aspirin didn't help. Thinking now that it's swelling do to something else. Going to try upping the sodium tonight and see how it goes.

Makrosky

Aspirin didn't help. Thinking now that it's swelling do to something else. Going to try upping the sodium tonight and see how it goes.
How much aspirin? You are not going to notice anything from a single aspirin tab. Why not 600mg of ibuprofen with a meal and another one on the next meal? That is going to be much more precise.

OP
M

marikay

How much aspirin? You are not going to notice anything from a single aspirin tab. Why not 600mg of ibuprofen with a meal and another one on the next meal? That is going to be much more precise.

Very true, though I do respond very quickly to even a little bit of aspirin and taking more than 325mg at a time does thin my blood a lot, even when I take it with food. Fingers are a little better today. Going to keep up the sodium intake and the aspirin to see if that keeps the swelling down. I think I read somewhere here that DHEA can lead to a need for more minerals in general. I want to keep taking the DHEA because it has made such a hugh difference in the cortisol problem.

Thanks again for taking time to respond to my post. And for the suggestion for more aspirin.

schultz

The first thing I would try is topical progesterone on the problem areas.

Given that you are a female in her mid fifties, the first thing a medical professional would likely suspect is some form of arthritis.

Ray believes that arthritis is made worse by high estrogen and low progesterone and also by low thyroid.

OP
M

marikay

The first thing I would try is topical progesterone on the problem areas.

Given that you are a female in her mid fifties, the first thing a medical professional would likely suspect is some form of arthritis.

Ray believes that arthritis is made worse by high estrogen and low progesterone and also by low thyroid.

Thanks for responding. I do take ProgestE internally and have never before had arthritis in my hands or feet. In fact the only arthritis I've ever experienced was a frozen shoulder which is what led me to Ray in the first place (via ProgestE which immediately and permanently solved the problem). I take time off from the ProgestE from time to time but I was taking it when this problem started and taking more than usual hasn't helped.

My thyroid status is good. I take Novotiral and BSP T3 (see above). My temps and pulse are good (pulse regularly at 80 or higher). Fairly sure my estrogen levels are low.

The only thing I changed before this problem popped up was the inclusion of DHEA in small amounts. I'm pretty sure now that the cortisol in my system was masking the problem with my fingers and toes, and when the cortisol went way down after the DHEA the problem became noticeable for the first time.

Aspirin and increase in sodium seems to be helping. Fingers much better today and toes are completely pain free. Summer weather also means I've been perspiring more than usual and the may have led to a shortage of sodium in my system.

So at least for the moment, all is well. I'm constantly amazed at how the solving of one problem can lead to arising of another….

Cheers.

schultz

Thanks for responding. I do take ProgestE internally and have never before had arthritis in my hands or feet. In fact the only arthritis I've ever experienced was a frozen shoulder which is what led me to Ray in the first place (via ProgestE which immediately and permanently solved the problem). I take time off from the ProgestE from time to time but I was taking it when this problem started and taking more than usual hasn't helped.

My thyroid status is good. I take Novotiral and BSP T3 (see above). My temps and pulse are good (pulse regularly at 80 or higher). Fairly sure my estrogen levels are low.

The only thing I changed before this problem popped up was the inclusion of DHEA in small amounts. I'm pretty sure now that the cortisol in my system was masking the problem with my fingers and toes, and when the cortisol went way down after the DHEA the problem became noticeable for the first time.

Aspirin and increase in sodium seems to be helping. Fingers much better today and toes are completely pain free. Summer weather also means I've been perspiring more than usual and the may have led to a shortage of sodium in my system.

So at least for the moment, all is well. I'm constantly amazed at how the solving of one problem can lead to arising of another….

Cheers.

Oh okay I wasn't aware you were already taking Progest-E.

The cortisol thing might actually have been masking the pain like you said. Ray seemed to hint that this could happen in one of his articles.

I'm glad you are feeling better as well!

OP
M

marikay

Oh okay I wasn't aware you were already taking Progest-E.

The cortisol thing might actually have been masking the pain like you said. Ray seemed to hint that this could happen in one of his articles.

I'm glad you are feeling better as well!

thanks for the kind thoughts. after a day with no pain in fingers or toes, i now find tonight (sunday) that my thumbs and wrists are very sore. the pad of my left palm right over the thumb joint is tender.

it seems like the problem is moving around. so it looks like i should maybe up the progestE (i was hoping to take a couple of weeks off) and maybe get away from the keyboard for a little while. (and i was so happy to have the cortisol problem getting better. )

oh the joys of getting older…

thanks again for the thoughts and suggestions

cheers

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals