Is milk chocolate an excellent snack food?

Bluebell

I'm looking at the ingredients of my organic milk chocolate bar, and thinking this is surely a very Peaty healthy food. Lots of sugar, good fats, caffeine.

sugar - Peaty
whole milk powder - Peaty enough
cocoa mass - full of minerals, some caffeine
cocoa butter - good fats

Some have a tiny bit of lecithin in, but I can get chocolate bars without it.

Especially with a glass of milk on the side, is milk chocolate a good healthy food?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Bluebell said:
I'm looking at the ingredients of my organic milk chocolate bar, and thinking this is surely a very Peaty healthy food. Lots of sugar, good fats, caffeine.

sugar - Peaty
whole milk powder - Peaty enough
cocoa mass - full of minerals, some caffeine
cocoa butter - good fats

Some have a tiny bit of lecithin in, but I can get chocolate bars without it.

Especially with a glass of milk on the side, is milk chocolate a good healthy food?

If you can get one without soy lecithin or other emulsifiers then it's a great way to increase your cholesterol and maybe stabilize blood sugar for several hours.

tara

It's really compact and portable and keeps well as long as it doesn't get overheated and turn to mush. I seem to have limited tolerance (fuzzy headed milk symptoms from too much milk chocolate, different head symptoms from too much dark chocolate), so I try to limit to a little. If it agrees with you it's really handy. Try it and watch how it affects you.

BobbyDukes

Is chocolate estrogenic in its raw state, or is it the soya lecithin crap they add to it that makes it estrogenic?

The chocolate bar I buy lists the following ingredients: Cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, vanilla extract. The chocolate itself is 74% cocoa solids.

The awesome thing about chocolate, is that I can really pound milk when I eat this stuff. I will eat two squares at a time, so I end up eating the whole thing by the end of the day. But I'll chase those two squares with a quart of skimmed milk. Seems to be working for me. My digestion is so much better now I have gotten rid of cheese. 2 squares = 120 calories (8.7g fat, 7.2g of carbs). I just have to add little bits of calcium carbonate as I go along, to keep my cal/phos ratio in check.

barbwirehouse

BobbyDukes said:
Is chocolate estrogenic in its raw state, or is it the soya lecithin crap they add to it that makes it estrogenic?

The chocolate bar I buy lists the following ingredients: Cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, vanilla extract. The chocolate itself is 74% cocoa solids.

The awesome thing about chocolate, is that I can really pound milk when I eat this stuff. I will eat two squares at a time, so I end up eating the whole thing by the end of the day. But I'll chase those two squares with a quart of skimmed milk. Seems to be working for me. My digestion is so much better now I have gotten rid of cheese. 2 squares = 120 calories (8.7g fat, 7.2g of carbs). I just have to add little bits of calcium carbonate as I go along, to keep my cal/phos ratio in check.

end up eating the whole thing by the end of the day :eek:

That's a lot of fat. Soya lecithin is troublesome but I don't think the amount is that significant? I believe chocolate is fine w/o soya lecithin.

BobbyDukes

Sorry; should have been clearer. There's ten squares in one bar. It's 43g of fat, in total.

Maybe you are right about the soya lecithin. The iron content can be high, but AFAIK, It's non heme iron - so, unlike heme iron, coffee should work a treat at blocking the iron (if those studies are to be believed).