Is Microwaving A Potato Same As Boiling It For An Hour?

pauljacob

Is microwaving a medium-size potato for say 4-5 minutes the same as boiling it for an hour? Does microwaving remove resistant starch from it just like boiling?

Maljam

I wouldn't think so, the water allows the starch particles to swell up, which makes them less likely to persorb through the intestine. The skin also becomes tougher, instead of softer and falling off the potato like with boiling. This may be harder to digest, I'm not sure though.

That isn't to say you shouldn't eat microwaved potatoes if you enjoy them and feel fine after them, I just don't think it is an identical way of cooking.

Resistant starch I'm not too sure about, I think if you eat both from cooked and dont cool in the refrigerator the difference shouldn't be much.

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

Thank you Maljam. I use potatoes (among other foods) to keep my Potassium levels steady because of the blood pressure med I use. The starch in a medium potato microwaved three minutes will jack up my blood sugar to up 170 an hour after I've eaten it. The same size potato boiled for an hour raised the blood sugar the same. I was hoping that if I nuke the potato longer -- say five minutes it would change or reduce the starch in the spud. Just wishful thinking I guess.

gaze

I think baking and microwaving increase resistant starch compared to boiling . I would be very cautious of it, I used to eat microwaves potatoes during the time tht my bacterial problems began getting worse. One cup of orange juice has the same amount of calories as one medium potato and is less of a hassle and safer, but that’s just my preference

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

I think baking and microwaving increase resistant starch compared to boiling . I would be very cautious of it, I used to eat microwaves potatoes during the time tht my bacterial problems began getting worse. One cup of orange juice has the same amount of calories as one medium potato and is less of a hassle and safer, but that’s just my preference
Thank you Kammas. I hate microwaves, I use it once or twice a day just to boil water for coffee.

abruzzi

I'm so confused. So, wait, resistant starch is bad. What is resistant starch bad?

I read that a benefit of cooking potatoes in a pressure cooker is that it kills lectins and that you should even put the potatoes in the frig for a while so that they form resistant starch.

Same with rice.

Now I read here that resistant starch is bad.

trying to eat healthy is so confusing. No wonder people just eat crap.

chester

Is microwaving a medium-size potato for say 4-5 minutes the same as boiling it for an hour? Does microwaving remove resistant starch from it just like boiling?
Bro why are you boiling a potato for an HOUR. Just cut that b**** in three and wait 20 minutes.

Hgreen56

I'm so confused. So, wait, resistant starch is bad. What is resistant starch bad?

I read that a benefit of cooking potatoes in a pressure cooker is that it kills lectins and that you should even put the potatoes in the frig for a while so that they form resistant starch.

Same with rice.

Now I read here that resistant starch is bad.

trying to eat healthy is so confusing. No wonder people just eat crap.
endotoxin.

rei

Never heard anyone cook raw potatoes in microwave, only re-warm them.