Is Melanotan 2 Safe?

dq139

I have used melanotan last year during the summer because I was working outside a lot and I didn't get much side effects besides darkened moles and slightly Browner skin. I Am Naturally Olive skinned that doesn't burn much in the Sun anyway, but I do have the ability to burn if I stay out all day in hot sun. While taking the Milano tan 2 in low doses I didn't burn at all.. I stayed out at the beach all day while on vacation in Puerto Rico with no sunscreen at at all and didn't get even the slightest burn I just got very Brown...

I haven't taken it over the winter but I'm thinking I should start taking it again when I go to visit my family in Florida so I don't burn at all.... I'm wondering if the Milano tan 2 will cause cancer growths or is toxic because it stimulates more melanin in the skin. I know that it was developed so that pale-skinned red and blond haired people don't get skin cancer... but a lot of doctors insist that it will cause melanoma to grow... I've heard a lot of people that have used melanotan for over 10 years on and off and they are fine up-to-date. It still scares me though.

If anybody on here has any experience with it let me know because it's a really powerful drug that prevents you from burning.

Let me know if you guys think it is safe for occasional use.

Jpkoepse

It's made my moles significantly darker and more obvious although this slightly subsides after use. I feel like I've read an article linking it to a form of skin cancer but it's been a long time. Curious if anyone smarter and more educated knows more...

nwo2012

Ray Peat told me that since it forms freckles/moles it probably isnt safe.

ShotTrue

For me it raised estrogen, which caused some hairline recession. It also causes nausea. The tan isn't permanent, and it's not like a regular tan, it actually makes you look more like an endogenous African.
Not really worth it

olive

It’s relatively safe if you’re in a good hormonal state; low estrogen, low prolactin.

It also has the added benefit of increasing insulin sensitivity.

ShotTrue

It’s relatively safe if you’re in a good hormonal state; low estrogen, low prolactin.

It also has the added benefit of increasing insulin sensitivity.
I must say my estrogen was already naturally low and it raised it above healthy levels and caused hairline recession. I didn't take anything to try and lower it though

olive

I must say my estrogen was already naturally low and it raised it above healthy levels and caused hairline recession. I didn't take anything to try and lower it though
That’s interesting because in rats it has the opposite effect. It increases progesterone.

Did you have bloods done or are you basing it off feel?

ShotTrue

That’s interesting because in rats it has the opposite effect. It increases progesterone.

Did you have bloods done or are you basing it off feel?
Oh really? I thought I saw studies proving it raised estrogen, it's been several months since looking at it
I based it off feel. Whatever it did I was less healthy while on it...
Post the studies if you have them

olive

Oh really? I thought I saw studies proving it raised estrogen, it's been several months since looking at it
I based it off feel. Whatever it did I was less healthy while on it...
Post the studies if you have them

The effects on libido are mediated through it’s ability to increase dopamine. Which is very peaty. High dopamine = lower prolactin = lower estrogen

Improves insulin sensitivity:
The melanocortin agonist melanotan II increases insulin sensitivity in OLETF rats.
The melanocortin agonist melanotan II increases insulin sensitivity in OLETF rats. - PubMed - NCBI

Anti-opiate effects (read:= lower prolactin = lower estrogen)
Evidence that Melanocortin Receptor Agonist Melanotan-II Synergistically Augments the Ability of Naltrexone to Blunt Binge-Like Ethanol Intake in Male C57BL/6J Mice.
Evidence that Melanocortin Receptor Agonist Melanotan-II Synergistically Augments the Ability of Naltrexone to Blunt Binge-Like Ethanol Intake in Mal... - PubMed - NCBI

Increases oxytocin:
Melanocortin Receptor Agonists Facilitate Oxytocin-Dependent Partner Preference Formation in the Prairie Vole.
Melanocortin Receptor Agonists Facilitate Oxytocin-Dependent Partner Preference Formation in the Prairie Vole. - PubMed - NCBI

Enhances progesterone:
The melanocortin agonist, melanotan II, enhances proceptive sexual behaviors in the female rat.
The melanocortin agonist, melanotan II, enhances proceptive sexual behaviors in the female rat. - PubMed - NCBI

ShotTrue

The effects on libido are mediated through it’s ability to increase dopamine. Which is very peaty. High dopamine = lower prolactin = lower estrogen

Improves insulin sensitivity:
The melanocortin agonist melanotan II increases insulin sensitivity in OLETF rats.
The melanocortin agonist melanotan II increases insulin sensitivity in OLETF rats. - PubMed - NCBI

Anti-opiate effects (read:= lower prolactin = lower estrogen)
Evidence that Melanocortin Receptor Agonist Melanotan-II Synergistically Augments the Ability of Naltrexone to Blunt Binge-Like Ethanol Intake in Male C57BL/6J Mice.
Evidence that Melanocortin Receptor Agonist Melanotan-II Synergistically Augments the Ability of Naltrexone to Blunt Binge-Like Ethanol Intake in Mal... - PubMed - NCBI

Increases oxytocin:
Melanocortin Receptor Agonists Facilitate Oxytocin-Dependent Partner Preference Formation in the Prairie Vole.
Melanocortin Receptor Agonists Facilitate Oxytocin-Dependent Partner Preference Formation in the Prairie Vole. - PubMed - NCBI

Enhances progesterone:
The melanocortin agonist, melanotan II, enhances proceptive sexual behaviors in the female rat.
The melanocortin agonist, melanotan II, enhances proceptive sexual behaviors in the female rat. - PubMed - NCBI
I think the last study may be saying that supplemented with progesterone melanton 2 made the rats more sexual. I don't see where it says it increased progesterone.
Estrogen itself is noted to cause some to be manically sexual;

Last edited:

frant26

I don't see where it increases progesterone. I was under the impression that it raises nitric oxide and that's why it helps with erections. Estrogen can improve libido.

OP
D

dq139

As far as increasing estrogen I don't think I experienced that while taking it. Not even that much of an increase in libido. Maybe because I was taking low doses. The only reason I like taking it is the fact that I can stay out in the Direct tropical Sun for hours and not have to worry about burning at all... I feel like it's a better option to use it once in awhile if you know you're going to be stuck out in the sun and you don't want to use sunscreen or risk burning... I personally don't like the darkening effect because I get to dark on it. So I wouldn't use it continuously

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals