Is Magnesium Supplementation Safe With A Low Heart Rate?

My resting heart rate is around 50-55, although it can quickly drop to 40 if I'm sitting/lying down and quite relaxed. According to my heart rate monitor, during sleep it goes down to 30.

Some of my symptoms have included muscle twitching all over my body, and low potassium across multiple blood tests. Also low cortisol. As well as low temps, fatigue, insomnia, and generally very high anxiety.

I recently tried magnesium glycinate because mag is supposed to positively influence potassium, and I thought it might have something to do with the twitching too.

It seems to make me quite a lot calmer.

My only concern is - will increasing magnesium in turn lower heart rate?

paymanz

Good point.

Just go with a balanced diet.
And if you worry about magnesium supplement just make sure that you get enough calcium, vitamin d and sodium beside it.

raypeatclips

If you are worried, get a magnesium blood test, I believe RBC Magnesium is the best blood test, from what I have read. I got a blood test which took 2 weeks to get the results, and in this time heavily supplemented magnesium and got some very negative symptoms. My blood test returned in range, so I probably didn't need any magnesium supplemented anyway. Or, as paymanz said, stick to a nutritious diet.

Frankdee20

I judge my requirement for Magnesium based on how intense muscle tension/spasms remain. It doesn't always drop ones pressure or heart rate intensely. Don't go past 400 if your concerned

cdg

My resting heart rate is around 50-55, although it can quickly drop to 40 if I'm sitting/lying down and quite relaxed. According to my heart rate monitor, during sleep it goes down to 30.

Some of my symptoms have included muscle twitching all over my body, and low potassium across multiple blood tests. Also low cortisol. As well as low temps, fatigue, insomnia, and generally very high anxiety.

I recently tried magnesium glycinate because mag is supposed to positively influence potassium, and I thought it might have something to do with the twitching too.

It seems to make me quite a lot calmer.

All the symptoms you are describing sound like hypothyroid symptoms. Hence you will not retain magnesium among other things like potassium when you supplement. Probably need to increase your milk and OJ along with some thyroid as per Dr. Peat's recommendation and chart your symptoms starting with very low doses of thyroid

aguilaroja

My resting heart rate is around 50-55, although it can quickly drop to 40 if I'm sitting/lying down and quite relaxed....
Some of my symptoms have included muscle twitching all over my body, and low potassium across multiple blood tests. Also low cortisol. As well as low temps, fatigue, insomnia, and generally very high anxiety....

It is possible that the fatigue, anxiety, and twitching are consequences of the low heart rate itself. It may be helpful to review some web pages after googling “bradycardia”. The report of a heart rate of 40 with relaxed sitting is concerning.

If careful assessment concludes things are “benign” “sinus bradycardia”, then the emphasis may shift to fine tuning metabolism. Until clarification and getting an overall picture, optimizing magnesium intake seems secondary.

Is it good to stimulate yourself ?

Frankdee20

My resting heart rate is 95, and I took 800 mg magnesium today.