Is Magnesium Chloride A Safe Form Of Magnesium?

Safe?

• Yes

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Yes, but not daily

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

hierundjetzt

You can search magnesium chloride with my username in search to see my bad experience with it.

Still, Mark Sircus still recommends it. Just last month, he was on One Radio Network and he still recommends magnesium chloride. Although he says mag bicarb is the best.

In short, it is an acidic load.
I don't know where you got the idea that it is an acidic load.

yerrag

hierundjetzt

I font know if you know how to do a search.
I guess you are not a chemist...neither Cl nor Mg would hydrolyse in water very significantly. In other words, the solution of MgCl2 would substantially remain neutral.

yerrag

I guess you are not a chemist...neither Cl nor Mg would hydrolyse in water very significantly. In other words, the solution of MgCl2 would substantially remain neutral.
You're the smart one.

peep

I took 5g Potassium Chloride with 2g Magnesium Chloride for some months and experienced very bad Gastritis for 2-3 times. Would not recommend and wont do that again ever. For me Chloride forms are not save in high dosages. And as chloride forms are very low in the elemental Mg and K, low dose is often not worth it.

yerrag

For the magnesium chloride lovers, read and repent.

I have to say that it doesn't take a chemist to understand what's in the article, but you still have to know how to read, and you still have to have passed high school chemistry in a school that doesn't just give good grades to appease the parent or the politician.

And also, you need to be able to read without dozing off, and then skipping to the end because the summary won't tell you magnesium chloride is bad for you. It's buried inside the article.

As for @hierundjetzt go ahead keep taking magnesium chloride.

Or you can be an ostrich, not read the article, and believe what Mark Sircus is saying.

Attachments

• Remer Acid-Base.pdf
    613.1 KB · Views: 54

JohnA

My takeaway from Sircus's Magnesium book was that you should take oral magnesium chloride and sodium bicarbonate together. The alkaline nature of the baking soda should counter some of the acidic concerns.

A person gets much more control over both bicarbonate and magnesium physiology when magnesium is taken in its chloride form and the bicarbonate is taken as sodium bicarbonate.

Inaut

My takeaway from Sircus's Magnesium book was that you should take oral magnesium chloride and sodium bicarbonate together. The alkaline nature of the baking soda should counter some of the acidic concerns.
Dosage?

yerrag

I get confused by what he says and writes. He would say what you just said about what he writes, and then he would say magnesium bicarbonate is best, and then at an interview with Patrick Tympone late last year, he would go back to pushing magnesium chloride without saying it has to be taken with baking soda.

The idea of taking both because one balances the other is just impractical, except for the fact that both are cheap and easily accessible. Why not just take a magnesium form that doesn't need to be balanced out? And another problem you run into is how much magnesium chloride in relation to baking soda - does he state that? Even if he did, do people remember that ratio? It's like an accident waiting to happen (okay I'm exaggerating).

And another thing to note, by reading that article, is that only 1/3 of the magnesium in mag chloride gets absorbed. So you still have to ingest 3x more magnesium chloride to get the equivalent amount absorbed taking in a magnesium form that is close to being 100% absorbed - such as magnesium bicarbonate, which he also promotes and which I agree with him on.

If you're as handy as I am, make your own CO2 setup to make your own magbicarb. If not, buy a Sodastream. If not, buy soda or seltzer water. And then easily make magbicarb from magnesium hydroxide.

I put 1 gram of magnesium hydroxide into a 500ml bottle of soda water and shake it, and I have 400mg of magbicarb.

EnergeticLeo

I get confused by what he says and writes. He would say what you just said about what he writes, and then he would say magnesium bicarbonate is best, and then at an interview with Patrick Tympone late last year, he would go back to pushing magnesium chloride without saying it has to be taken with baking soda.

The idea of taking both because one balances the other is just impractical, except for the fact that both are cheap and easily accessible. Why not just take a magnesium form that doesn't need to be balanced out? And another problem you run into is how much magnesium chloride in relation to baking soda - does he state that? Even if he did, do people remember that ratio? It's like an accident waiting to happen (okay I'm exaggerating).

And another thing to note, by reading that article, is that only 1/3 of the magnesium in mag chloride gets absorbed. So you still have to ingest 3x more magnesium chloride to get the equivalent amount absorbed taking in a magnesium form that is close to being 100% absorbed - such as magnesium bicarbonate, which he also promotes and which I agree with him on.

If you're as handy as I am, make your own CO2 setup to make your own magbicarb. If not, buy a Sodastream. If not, buy soda or seltzer water. And then easily make magbicarb from magnesium hydroxide.

I put 1 gram of magnesium hydroxide into a 500ml bottle of soda water and shake it, and I have 400mg of magbicarb.
This is an interesting thread.
I found Peat saying that in your stomach, the acid generally will turn much of a supplement such as magnesium carbonate into magnesium chloride which is instantly absorbed.

Here:

View: https://youtu.be/5CtQ3_KfdHk?t=2659

Do you think this applies to magbicarb too?

Last edited:

yerrag

This is an interesting thread.
I found Peat saying that in your stomach, the acid generally will turn much of a supplement such as magnesium carbonate into magnesium chloride which is instantly absorbed.

Here:

View: https://youtu.be/5CtQ3_KfdHk?t=2659

Do you think this applies to magbicarb too?

I don't know about mag chloride being instantly absorbed, as an article by Remer, which I have shared many times in the past, and can share again, gives us the reasons why magnesium chloride is an acidic load.

If it were so, then magnesium carbonate being converted in the gut to magnesium chloride will cause us to becomic acidic over time. So, I would beg to disagree with Ray here.

EnergeticLeo

I don't know about mag chloride being instantly absorbed, as an article by Remer, which I have shared many times in the past, and can share again, gives us the reasons why magnesium chloride is an acidic load.

If it were so, then magnesium carbonate being converted in the gut to magnesium chloride will cause us to becomic acidic over time. So, I would beg to disagree with Ray here.
The paper is very interesting, especially the bit about MgCl2 lowering bicarbonate buffering capacity in the blood. Do you know if something similar happens with NaCl?

EnergeticLeo

And maybe a way around this MgCl2 issue is simply to monitor urine pH now and then and increase sodium or calcium bicarbonate intake accordingly - that doesn't sound too hard?

yerrag

The paper is very interesting, especially the bit about MgCl2 lowering bicarbonate buffering capacity in the blood. Do you know if something similar happens with NaCl?
It doesn't happen with NaCl and KCl.

Happens with MgCl² and CaCl²

yerrag

And maybe a way around this MgCl2 issue is simply to monitor urine pH now and then and increase sodium or calcium bicarbonate intake accordingly - that doesn't sound too hard?
Or avoid MgCl². Many other magnesium forms to use.

EnergeticLeo

Or avoid MgCl². Many other magnesium forms to use.
The purest supplement I've been able to find (from a natural source, not synthetic, just like sea or rock salt) is a mag chloride supplement, so I really want to stick to that.
I'm wary of impurities in synthetic mag hydroxide, but I do have some and may try make some mag bicarb soon. either way the mag chloride even in low doses is having really awesome effects!!

yerrag

The purest supplement I've been able to find (from a natural source, not synthetic, just like sea or rock salt) is a mag chloride supplement, so I really want to stick to that.
I'm wary of impurities in synthetic mag hydroxide, but I do have some and may try make some mag bicarb soon. either way the mag chloride even in low doses is having really awesome effects!!
That is probably the purest form, I agree. But I couldn't go with that to build magnesium stores at 800mg elemental magnesium per day for a year. The acicic load would build up and render me sick.

Tradeoffs are needed, and I have to decide what's best for me.

Frankdee20

I used to take a liquid version of magnesium chloride with magnesium acetate but the chloride contributes to hydrochloric acid production

Back
Top Bottom