Is Magnesium Carbonate In Commercial Supplements Reagant Grade, Cattle Manuals Say It Otherwise Isnt

Dan W

I'm wondering if there's something special about magnesite's structure or the particle size used in whatever test determined its absorption. Perhaps the reagent grade's absorption was due to those factors, rather than its purity.

Maybe that manufacturer can tell you the source of their magnesium carbonate. I would expect magnesium carbonate to be generally absorbable based on its wide use as a supplement and on this study, although they don't say the source of the magnesium carbonate.

OP
B

BaconBits

Yes, probably. The manual also states that magnesium oxide absorption depends on the particle size. That would explain why some studies say magnesium oxide is useless with 4-5% absorption (bigger particle size) and some say it is absorbed as well as any other magnesium (smaller particle size).

OP
B

BaconBits

I got a response from the company, they said they use magnesium (hydrogen) carbonate, European Pharmacopeia standard. I dont know what that means?

They probably made a mistake and they use magnesium (hydroxide) carbonate, also know as hydrated magnesium carbonate.

OP
B

BaconBits

Update: OK, I found this out, USP (or E.Ph.) and food grade magnesium carbonate has to pass a test of solubility in hydrocloric acid with ph 2 and less then a few percentages can be unreactive. So it think magnesium carbonate is a good source of magnesium.

I got a response from the company, they said they use magnesium (hydrogen) carbonate, European Pharmacopeia standard. I dont know what that means?

They probably made a mistake and they use magnesium (hydroxide) carbonate, also know as hydrated magnesium carbonate.

Magnesium hydrogen carbonate = magnesium bicarbonate. In my country hydrogen = waterstof, and bicarbonate = waterstofcarbonaat (literally hydrogen carbonate). 4 years later, but perhaps useful to know for future readers :)

ddjd

Magnesium hydrogen carbonate = magnesium bicarbonate. In my country hydrogen = waterstof, and bicarbonate = waterstofcarbonaat (literally hydrogen carbonate). 4 years later, but perhaps useful to know for future readers :)
Interesting, I found a company here in Germany that sell magnesium carbonate and magnesium hydroxide carbonate....

What's the bloody difference???

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom