Is Life A Game?

A

Adf

If we are just in a simulation, how would we be aware that we are aware we are in one? That would seem to indicate that we/you/I are not only the simulated, but the simulator as well.

We have successfully simulated our own worlds (video games). We are simulators yes, this is how we are aware of the potential simulation of the world we exist in.

Had we not invented our own simulations, perhaps we would not be aware.

Xin

Let's leave religion aside for a second.

We live in a matrix where elites are programming us through media, entertainment and education.

Last edited:

Dean

We have successfully simulated our own worlds (video games). We are simulators yes, this is how we are aware of the potential simulation of the world we exist in.

Had we not invented our own simulations, perhaps we would not be aware.
Then we have to be one and the same with from whence the original simulation came. Be it God or consciousness - or whatever.

A

Adf

Then we have to be one and the same with from whence the original simulation came. Be it God or consciousness - or whatever.

Possibly, but not necessarily. When you create a character in The Sims, are you that character? Is that character you? Or did you create them and can control them, without being that character?

Simply put, perhaps we may be Sim characters, the being playing us (our higher self or soul) may have created us to control and play us. That being didn't necessarily create our world. That being is the player of this game and creator of us, not necessarily the developer of the game.

Simply put in rhetoric, When you play The Sims, did you develop the entire game, or just the character you are playing?

You could say there is a parallel between the way reality and computer programs generate great complexity from relatively simple rules. However, the idea that our world "simulates" heaven, or that 2 dimensions "simulates" 3 dimensions, etc., seems wrongheaded and misleading, especially to the layman. I think the concept of simulation here is dead weight.

Dean

Possibly, but not necessarily. When you create a character in The Sims, are you that character? Is that character you? Or did you create them and can control them, without being that character?

Simply put, perhaps we may be Sim characters, the being playing us (our higher self or soul) may have created us to control and play us. That being didn't necessarily create our world. That being is the player of this game and creator of us, not necessarily the developer of the game.

Simply put in rhetoric, When you play The Sims, did you develop the entire game, or just the character you are playing?
I just don't see how a delineation between character and creator can exist when the character can not only recognizes himself as a character, not only cognizes himself outside of their particular characterization, but is capable of observing himself both recognizing and cognizing.

A

Adf

I just don't see how a delineation between character and creator can exist when the character can not only recognizes himself as a character, not only cognizes himself outside of their particular characterization, but is capable of observing himself both recognizing and cognizing.

The way I look at it is anything is possible. We are very limited by our very limited knowledge and understanding. The only thing we truly know for certain, is that we don't know much at all. Scientists and intellectuals like to pretend we know more than we know.

Essentially, just because we can't comprehend a thing doesn't mean it doesn't exist. However it also doesn't mean it does exist.

An example... How do we know that consciousness is limited only to living things? How do you know the programs we write don't have a little bit of consciousness in them? What if they did? What if everything in our existence has some form of consciousness?

There are some scientists that believe this to be a possible reality. So maybe that Sim character does question whether he's in a simulation. Probably not, but perhaps. How would you know?

Summer

The Robert Monroe Institute has an amazing set of guided meditations called The Gateway Experience. This is what I use.

They teach you methods you can use to 'pattern' your life in this simulation. Or ask the simulation/universe questions which it will answer, and more.

There's even a declassified CIA document on it.
Oh cool. I’ve heard of that one. Sounds worth looking into!

Have you had any crazy experiences?

Dean

The way I look at it is anything is possible. We are very limited by our very limited knowledge and understanding. The only thing we truly know for certain, is that we don't know much at all. Scientists and intellectuals like to pretend we know more than we know.

Essentially, just because we can't comprehend a thing doesn't mean it doesn't exist. However it also doesn't mean it does exist.

An example... How do we know that consciousness is limited only to living things? How do you know the programs we write don't have a little bit of consciousness in them? What if they did? What if everything in our existence has some form of consciousness?

There are some scientists that believe this to be a possible reality. So maybe that Sim character does question whether he's in a simulation. Probably not, but perhaps. How would you know?

Interesting conversation. Thanks.

In the last few years, I've come to adopt the non-dual view. What I've also come to realize is that my non-dual realization wasn't all it's cracked up to be. "Unrealizing" is where it's really at. Easier said than done though; because the more effort or want you have, the harder the "unrealizing" becomes.

So, I'd say the problem is more our wanting and striving to know in the first place.

A

Adf

Oh cool. I’ve heard of that one. Sounds worth looking into!

Have you had any crazy experiences?

It's definitely worth looking into in my opinion. I've tried many guided meditations on Youtube, and none of them compare to the Gateway experience, mostly because the gateway experience teaches you tools to use during meditation. You don't have to keep using them once you know the tools/methods.

I have so many small experiences that most of them I don't bother to consciously remember. The ones I do remember were in my opinion quite significant. Here's a couple of them..

I wanted to see if I could psychically communicate with one of my chickens, of which I had 6. I laid in my bed and did the guided meditation to help get me into a deep meditative state, which takes about 10 minutes. After the preparatory process, when I was in deep meditation I visualized one of the chickens who were in the backyard outside of my bedroom window, and assigned the desire to speak with her. In the instant I asserted that desire and pushed, it caused a horrified squawk from one of the chickens. It sounded and felt like I caused her pain, so I never tried that again. From that moment on, one of those 6 chickens was always away from the flock minding her own business which is unusual behavior as the chickens always kept together. She also outlived the other chickens two-fold. I don't know for certain but I believe that was the one I touched in meditation.

I also briefly got into researching spirit animals or spirit guides. I used the method that the Gateway experience teaches to ask the universe for answers, with my eyes closed I asked, if I have one, what is my spirit animal and saw an incredibly vivid image flash in my mind. An Owl with electricity or lightning behind it. It surprised me because I consciously was more attracted to Bears and thought my spirit animal would be one.

It then reminded me of an event I had forgotten about, that freaked and weirded me out so much when I was a Security Officer on patrol. I was finishing a patrol of a college campus after midnight, the final checkpoints were on the school oval, on a metal fence behind some bushes. It was the middle of the night, no wind, and I was already very creeped out because there was no sound of crickets, when there is always sound of crickets. It was dead silent. I walked maybe 5 steps away from the checkpoint and heard a 'chink' noise on the fence behind me. I turned around and saw an owl sitting on the fence staring at me. We stared at each other for maybe 10 seconds, until I turned to walk away. As I turned, I thought, no one will believe this, I'm going to take a picture on my phone, so I turned back and the owl was gone. There was no sound whatsoever, not from insects, not from wind, no leaves rustling, nothing. And I did not hear the owl fly in or fly away, no flapping wings, only the 'chink' of it landing on the fence to get my attention.

A

Adf

Interesting conversation. Thanks.

In the last few years, I've come to adopt the non-dual view. What I've also come to realize is that my non-dual realization wasn't all it's cracked up to be. "Unrealizing" is where it's really at. Easier said than done though; because the more effort or want you have, the harder the "unrealizing" becomes.

So, I'd say the problem is more our wanting and striving to know in the first place.

I don't think being single-view is any better or worse than having a totally open or dual view. They are both useful in some situations, and limiting in others.

However if finding the bigger picture is what you want to do, then 'unrealizing' as you say is fairly important. The bigger picture can be ours to see, but it is not our picture, we did not paint it, so we cannot assign our existing restrictions or beliefs unto it.

The good thing is you don't need the big picture to live a happy and fulfilling life, that's why single-view thinking is fine too.

Hopefully this made some sense o_O

DaikonRadish

It really occurred to me recently how much of a ''game'' or a joke civilization is itself. Think about it, how does it make any sense at all that just because some people owned a nice area of land 5000 years ago, they own the resources to that land for ever, and can hoard that land and be wealthy from it? why, under civilization is there only one leader ruling billions of people? this doesn't make any sense. Humans can only care for their offspring and a few extended tribesman, how do we expect people in corporate bodies and government to care for the common man? what's the point of trying to escape nature, through medicine and technology? you're still going to die anyways. I personally would rather live 10 years as a lion, than 90 years as a slave in the capitalist market, or roman or Egyptian serfdom. How does it make any sense that because one family owned a piece of land with oil on it, they get to dictate the global trade and price of this oil? Also civilization creates massive inequality due to inherited wealth. Yes civilization does rewards intelligent people, but again what is the point of being intelligent? just to be separated from nature?

Why does one man get to inherit property, and another man doesn't and has to be a ''renter'' on his land? one man owns the land and builds a university, and you have to pay to use his land and the capital he acquired, when this person is just another human being, nothing makes him or her special over others.

Dean

I don't think being single-view is any better or worse than having a totally open or dual view. They are both useful in some situations, and limiting in others.

However if finding the bigger picture is what you want to do, then 'unrealizing' as you say is fairly important. The bigger picture can be ours to see, but it is not our picture, we did not paint it, so we cannot assign our existing restrictions or beliefs unto it.

The good thing is you don't need the big picture to live a happy and fulfilling life, that's why single-view thinking is fine too.

Hopefully this made some sense o_O
I see non-dual as no(t) view rather than single view. Be that as it may, I agree one is no better than the other. Nothing is better than anything else when it comes down to it. Living without separation, distinctions, preferences, etc., is pretty hard to do though -- especially when trying defeats the purpose and purpose defeats the cause. Practicing (for) non- attachment to any answers or questions will have to suffice for me in the meantime. Whatever the meantime means, if anything. Lol.

JamesGatz

Life is indeed a game - just played it yesterday

863F183E-A751-4D37-B36E-45D82B72D114.jpeg

Quelsatron

when people talk about life in this regard, they're really talking about everything. and everything defies a true definition, which is why life is so infinitely stimulating.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals