Is lactose free milk safe ? (galactose may be toxic)

amd

Your main concern was understood. The additional info could help people reading this thread.

- Blood/urine testing may indicate other conditions ..

https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/8765

"Increased concentrations of galactose may also be suggestive of severe hepatitis, biliary atresia of the newborn and, in rare cases, galactose intolerance.

If galactosemia is suspected, additional testing to identify the specific enzymatic defect is required."

- In the animal studies cited, large amounts of lactose were used, which is not practical for human studies (one of the points).

"References to data stemming from animal experimentation were common [14, 23, 25], but these models required notably high intake of lactose (25–70% of total dietary intake) that is unlikely to be applicable to the human diet [5]."

Last edited:

Andy316

@Apollo Thanks for the info. The Galactose puzzle is something Im keeping a watchout for, since I had speech problems for 3 years as a toddler and later developed severe Jaundice in my late teens (which I attribute to high milk consumption). I always did poorly with dairy consumption (Scalp dermatites, severe bloating, body/scalp itch). I was reading in this link that along with Dairy, chickpeas is also high in Galactose. Are there any other Veg/fruit/herbs with high galactose one needs to be careful?

OP
Apple

Apple

@Apollo Thanks for the info. The Galactose puzzle is something Im keeping a watchout for, since I had speech problems for 3 years as a toddler and later developed severe Jaundice in my late teens (which I attribute to high milk consumption). I always did poorly with dairy consumption (Scalp dermatites, severe bloating, body/scalp itch). I was reading in this link that along with Dairy, chickpeas is also high in Galactose. Are there any other Veg/fruit/herbs with high galactose one needs to be careful?

I'm still assessing if milk is good for me or not.
Adding some amount of lactose free milk to a regular 1% milk seems to make it tolerable.
But not sure if milk is deserved to be called a superfood
And I don't like eating beans , not to mention chickpeas , they give me skin problems.
I don't know if I would be able to live without dairy .... it would be a very boring diet of rice and meat . Unless somebody can prove that dairy is no good for humans .

Have you ever tried drinking lactose free milk?

Andy316

I'm still assessing if milk is good for me or not.
Adding some amount of lactose free milk to a regular 1% milk seems to make it tolerable.
But not sure if milk is deserved to be called a superfood
And I don't like eating beans , not to mention chickpeas , they give me skin problems.
I don't know if I would be able to live without dairy .... it would be a very boring diet of rice and meat . Unless somebody can prove that dairy is no good for humans .

Have you ever tried drinking lactose free milk?

Ya I dont do well with lactose free milk (Same reaction as regular milk). Only tolerable milk for me is homeade soy milk.

Black Eyed, Navy beans and lentils is fine in moderation, little excess and its bloating, irritation and fatigue.

Read that the fruit with highest galactose content are dried figs (so definately be careful with that).

Makrosky

but how much lactose free you would have to drink for this to be a problem? It sounds like you have to have a genetic disposition + drink gallons per day.

OP
Apple

Apple

but how much lactose free you would have to drink for this to be a problem? It sounds like you have to have a genetic disposition + drink gallons per day.
it varies with age ... older people have less enzymes (galactokinase, transferase or epimerase). Any single deficient enzyme can result in cataract.
Also full-fat milk was not assosiated with cataracts in rat studies unlike skim milk

Lactose consumption has been associated with a high incidence of cataract in northern Indian and southern Italian populations. Galactose absorbed after hydrolysis of lactose from milk in individuals with normal lactase activity is considered responsible. However, lactase-deficient subjects who often avoid drinking milk are able to digest lactose and absorb free galactose in fermented milk and yogurt. This study was conducted to evaluate the relationships between milk and yogurt consumption, galactose metabolism and cataract risk. Milk ingestion was dose-related with cataract risk in lactose digesters (particularly in diabetics) but not in lactose maldigesters. Conversely, yogurt intake had a protective dose-effect on cataract formation for the whole population. Maximal galactose concentrations after an oral galactose test increased exponentially with age. Red blood cell galactokinase activity was significantly lower in elderly subjects (> 60 y) than in young individuals (P < 0.05), and galactose-1-phosphate uridyl-transferase activity was significantly lower in institutionalized subjects and in home-living elderly with cataract than in healthy elderly subjects (P < 0.05). We conclude that the cataractogenic action of milk lactose is dependent on the disturbance of galactose metabolism in elderly subjects and that yogurt is not cataractogenic, although the mechanism of the protective effect of yogurt remains unknown.

Last edited:

Makrosky

it varies with age ... older people have less enzymes (galactokinase, transferase or epimerase). Any single deficient enzyme can result in cataract.
Also full-fat milk was not assosiated with cataracts in rat studies unlike skim milk

Lactose consumption has been associated with a high incidence of cataract in northern Indian and southern Italian populations. Galactose absorbed after hydrolysis of lactose from milk in individuals with normal lactase activity is considered responsible. However, lactase-deficient subjects who often avoid drinking milk are able to digest lactose and absorb free galactose in fermented milk and yogurt. This study was conducted to evaluate the relationships between milk and yogurt consumption, galactose metabolism and cataract risk. Milk ingestion was dose-related with cataract risk in lactose digesters (particularly in diabetics) but not in lactose maldigesters. Conversely, yogurt intake had a protective dose-effect on cataract formation for the whole population. Maximal galactose concentrations after an oral galactose test increased exponentially with age. Red blood cell galactokinase activity was significantly lower in elderly subjects (> 60 y) than in young individuals (P < 0.05), and galactose-1-phosphate uridyl-transferase activity was significantly lower in institutionalized subjects and in home-living elderly with cataract than in healthy elderly subjects (P < 0.05). We conclude that the cataractogenic action of milk lactose is dependent on the disturbance of galactose metabolism in elderly subjects and that yogurt is not cataractogenic, although the mechanism of the protective effect of yogurt remains unknown.
Then I am good because I only drink full fat milk. And not a lot.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom