Is Killing Off Mouth Bacteria Beneficial For Long Term Dental Health?

Nokoni

I’m trying it @Nokoni
Hope you find it as beneficial as I have. Note that there are apparently new forms that don't require daily mixing. It's not really that much trouble, especially considering the benefits, but it would be nice to not have to do it. But I have no experience with those other forms. This one works well but the others may be effective too.

wouldn't H2O2 be better than a chlorine dioxide solution? With H2O2 it's ozone and water...with chlorine dioxide isn't it a bunch of VOCs which may be highly carcinogenic?

Nokoni

wouldn't H2O2 be better than a chlorine dioxide solution? With H2O2 it's ozone and water...with chlorine dioxide isn't it a bunch of VOCs which may be highly carcinogenic?
Very possibly. But ClO2 is apparently widely used as a disinfectant, even in hospitals, and it has the reputation of being the best. Considering that ClO2 is more difficult to handle than H2O2 it must have some compensating advantages.

As for safety, there's a lady in Spain who has used much larger doses to effectively treat autism – she wrote a book about it – and it's used by lots of people, also in much higher doses, to treat cancer and a variety of infections. The research struck me as compelling, which is why I bought it originally. Also, there's no carbon in it, so any VOCs would be the result of reactions with tissue.

But definitely give the H2O2 a try. If you notice bullet-proof fresh breath it's probably working.

accelerator

I keep my mouth sterile by rinsing, flossing, and brushing with chlorine dioxide. After using for several months it straightened my teeth. One of my lower incisors was tilted back, leaning to the side, and rotated, and had been for decades. Now it's standing up straight and is nearly back in line with his mates. I certainly never expected that and actually only noticed after it was all better. I'd also read that it'll regrow bone but that struck me as unlikely. As you might imagine, I'm a bit less skeptical now. It also makes the teeth nice and white, significantly better than charcoal does.

Did you swish for a long time, like several minutes with the CD? or just for like 10 seconds?

Nokoni

Did you swish for a long time, like several minutes with the CD? or just for like 10 seconds?
Sorry but I completely disavow this idea now. CD gave me excellent, even astonishing, results but I learned that the pH of CD (activated with HCl) is between 2 and 3, so I became concerned that it may hurt tooth enamel. Started using a commercial version (DioxiRinse, but there are others), presumably pH balanced, but didn't feel I was getting as much benefit. Maybe something as simple as a little baking soda might fix the pH issue, but I wouldn't know.

For now I'm using "Haidut's mouthwash". He talks about it here: Idealabs Comments And Suggestions

Also @ecstatichamster

Kykeon

seeing the mouth as seperate from the colon is rather myopic, especially when you consider the study where peat talks about students putting a bacterial infested tampon in their rectrum (or it was spores) and the spores could be found on the tongue after sleeping.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

seeing the mouth as seperate from the colon is rather myopic, especially when you consider the study where peat talks about students putting a bacterial infested tampon in their rectrum (or it was spores) and the spores could be found on the tongue after sleeping.
:oops::oops::oops:

Do you have a link to the source, please?

Luann

@Nokoni @Peater Piper I noticed neither of you mentioned K2! Do y'all supplement, or make a point to get it thru diet? or maybe you don't seem to need very much?

Sitaruîm

According to this study, mouthwash users seems to have worse dental health than non-users, but obviously correlation does not imply causation.

Do you think that killing off mouth bacteria is beneficial for long term dental health?
Correlation does not imply causation, but causation implies correlation. So lack of correlation implies lack of causation.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Ah, thanks for bumping this thread!

I have tried pretty much every antiseptic one can use in mouth (even some one can't) in desperate attempt to stop rapid tooth decay.

For the past 18 months, I'm avoiding antiseptics as much as possible and I'd say my dental health is the best it was in very long time. Every time I used antiseptic in that time period, my dental health got worse (crumbling teeth, new cavities, receeding gums, lot of pain) and it took a long time to get back to my baseline.

I don't think antiseptics caused my tooth decay, but I feel using them was like pouring gasoline on (pre-existing) fire.

I'm still thoroughly sanitizing my toothbrush, though. Also, I think using gentle herbal brews as a mouthwash might be beneficial - "whole herb" brews only, no essential oils, no alcohol!

This is just my case, YMMV.